Does the RAF regiment have a future?

In Vietnam most of their rescues were in the US occupied South. I don't think they managed to retrieve any aircrew downed over the North. Or in Laos or Cambodia.

Starter for 10...

'Glen Mackey, an A-1 pilot with 1st ACS at the time recounts to Mutza the first days of the Sandy operation. On Sep. 20, 1965... Later the same month Mackey’s flight was able to cover a successful pickup of an F-105 pilot down near Dien Bien Phu,... .'

The cabbage mechanics got caught shooting their own body armour and fvcking up their principle role so badly aircraft got destroyed on the ground?
Do feel free to expand.
Did the body armour thing really happen ?
A rock cook (the double shame ) shot his own body armour. Better then raping ,murdering and burying tourists in Cyprus ,but still not cricket.
Any details .
I assume some one got firmly gripped.

I only did the 8 miler and I joined in 85.

Someone forgot to tell our Bn then mate, I did my last CFT in February 86 it and was a fecking 10 miler the kunts.

Did the body armour thing really happen ?
A rock cook (the double shame ) shot his own body armour. Better then raping ,murdering and burying tourists in Cyprus ,but still not cricket.
Any details .
I assume some one got firmly gripped.
I'd never gen anything I wasn't intimately acquainted with but the answer I got from a chap I happened to be talking to not three weeks ago was "no, it's complete bollocks".
This chap in question is former 51 Sqn, was out on the QRF response in question and was in a grown up's position . (in before some ARRSE wit chimes in with "hur hur like the RR have those")
He had quite a few interesting things to say about the whole situation out there in fact.

The epistemology of the "brassed up body armour" story is obviously hard to track but at least in online circles I think ARRSE should take a bow, it was really incubated and then disseminated right here as I remember it at the time. ARRSE is certainly the first place I was aware of it and it was from a poster claiming that "his mate out there in Unit X" had the gen.
I suspect it was a story too good not to be true so it grew wings and off it went in true "never let the truth get in the way of a good rumour" style.
I suspect the rumour did come from "mate on Unit X" as BAS would've been rife with it at the time, especially as there were people holed up together, getting no Gen on anything and then having to endure the sight of young RAF Regt gunners in the scranhouse rather full of themselves.
This is just my hypothesis on the matter and a semi-educated guess at best, it's not gen.
I think the story is as silly as it sounds but who doesn't like a good bit of RC, especially about a Unit that they might not feel too well disposed towards?
(It's at this point that someone posts a forensically detailed report from the Torygraph called "RAF Regiment shame as Gunner destroys own equipment....with video" and I hang my head in shame and exasperation)

You died twice?

Not at all old chap, I was a lean mean fighting machine back then. Fighting fit I was...fighting for breath and fit for feck all :hungry:

Airports/airfields are highly prized assets that are top of the list to control during any type of conflict.If the waring factions cant take them they will try to disrupt them, this includes interdicting the a/c in flight.

Why would the MOD not want a capability that is dedicated to its protection. Why would the army & RM want anything to do with this potential threat when they have their own threats to counter?

The Army has provided the RAFs infrastructure engineering capability since the 1960s. At its peak, there was a full Engineer Brigade of three Regiments dedicated to air support. In a similar vein, the Army provides the artillery, engineer and logistics support for 3 Cdo Bde. It has also provided a Battalion of infantry in the amphibious role.

There is no logical reason why the Army couldn’t absorb the airfield security task. That doesn’t necessarily make it a good idea.

I'd never gen anything I wasn't intimately acquainted with but the answer I got from a chap I happened to be talking to not three weeks ago was "no, it's complete bollocks".
This chap in question is former 51 Sqn, was out on the QRF response in question and was in a grown up's position . (in before some ARRSE wit chimes in with "hur hur like the RR have those")
He had quite a few interesting things to say about the whole situation out there in fact.

The epistemology of the "brassed up body armour" story is obviously hard to track but at least in online circles I think ARRSE should take a bow, it was really incubated and then disseminated right here as I remember it at the time. ARRSE is certainly the first place I was aware of it and it was from a poster claiming that "his mate out there in Unit X" had the gen.
I suspect it was a story too good not to be true so it grew wings and off it went in true "never let the truth get in the way of a good rumour" style.
I suspect the rumour did come from "mate on Unit X" as BAS would've been rife with it at the time, especially as there were people holed up together, getting no Gen on anything and then having to endure the sight of young RAF Regt gunners in the scranhouse rather full of themselves.
This is just my hypothesis on the matter and a semi-educated guess at best, it's not gen.
I think the story is as silly as it sounds but who doesn't like a good bit of RC, especially about a Unit that they might not feel too well disposed towards?
(It's at this point that someone posts a forensically detailed report from the Torygraph called "RAF Regiment shame as Gunner destroys own equipment....with video" and I hang my head in shame and exasperation)
But it is sooo fully believable.

Can't see any similar story sticking to an infantry unit.

But it is sooo fully believable.

Can't see any similar story sticking to an infantry unit.
I think that perhaps displays a lack of imagination on your part more that anything with regards to the latter.
I would've thought that someone that has been around Inf in general wouldn't have too much trouble believing Inf is capable of just about any level of abject bat-sh*ttery if you're presented with a decent amount of evidence.
As for the former, what you believe is up to you, if you're inclined to believe the worst of what you hear then this is a tramp on chips type of yarn.
It doesn't make it Gen though.

Last edited:
I would've thought that someone that has been around Inf in general wouldn't have too much trouble believing Inf is capable of just about any level of abject bat-sh*ttery i
I have been around as you say

And as a consequence, can't think of a single infantry capbadge (not even the WFR ^~ ) of whose troops I would think capable of such abject behaviour.

It's not like infantry have to pretend to be infantry, you see.. . .

What I have seen of Rockapes over the same time, on the other hand . . . .

I have been around as you say

And as a consequence, can't think of a single infantry capbadge (not even the WFR ^~ ) of whose troops I would think capable of such abject behaviour.

It's not like infantry have to pretend to be infantry, you see.. . .

What I have seen of Rockapes over the same time, on the other hand . . . .
Yeah man...welll....that's just like your opinion man. :)
I think I know what you're getting at but it's not an ability issue as was said earlier.
I know that you can drop your average gunner into an Inf company with no dramas about skills gap, fitness etc.
Tabbing, skill at arms, harbour drills, patrolling, shell scrapes, sniping, heavy weapons, OP work and Company (SQN) attacks are not dark arts to the RR, it's core training.
The thing is is that we never deploy in that role, and practically never train at anything bigger than Company level. Infantry trained but not infantry is a bit of a weird one for blokes to get their heads around, but it is true.
Some people don't like the Regt (sometimes with good reason, sometimes not so much) and that's fine, it's not entirely a popularity contest. Sometimes being underestimated is no bad thing.

The Woofers allways seemed all right to me. No different to any other English battalion like the R Hamps, Queens, RGJ, Royal Anglian and RRF. Good and bad in all units. Some go through a bad patch due to toxic leadership.
We differ.

Handed over to them in Hemer in the late 1970s.

I've never encountered a collective of single officers so far up themselves.

In my later working life, I never met a WFR officer - my peer or superior in rank - that I warmed to, and most of these were not disliked by me alone. The worst of the lot was the creep who commanded 143 Bde, who was openly despised by all his subordinate COs,

It was a bizarre tribal thing for such a fish and chip mob, and maybe had something to do with the multiple families with long histories of commissioned service in that particular mob.

Last edited:
We differ.

Handed over to them in Hemer in the late 1970s.

I've never encountered a collective of single officers so far up themselves.

In my later working like, I never met a WFR officer - my peer or superior in rank - that I warmed to, and most of these were not disliked by me alone. The worst of the lot was the creep who commanded 143 Bde, who was openly despised by all his subordinate COs,

It was a bizarre tribal thing for such a fish and chip mob, and maybe had something to do with the multiple families with long histories of commissioned service in that particular mob.
Not to mention the one what became an MP. Then disgraced/embarrassed himself on a number of occasions.
Thought of himself as a bit of an intellectual rather oddly.

Latest Threads