Does the RAF regiment have a future?

Kefi

War Hero
‘Ground close combat role’. Oh hold my aching sides - the army equivalent of the RAF Regt was RPC defence companies and that’s it.
I think you need to take a read of the whining bitch letter written by a bunch of moribund RAF Regt SNCOs. Even they admitted that the RAF Regt had become irrelevant.

Yes the Regt has become redundant, that has been obvious for some time.

The mortar incident was consensual, your mate getting the sharp end of the RSM's pace stick was not. Is this normal in the RRF? Feel free to carry on, i'v got a shed full of RRF gaffs to post on here, all of them can be confirmed unlike your pathetic attempts to discredit my former service. And if you do feel the need to carry on remember you threw the first stone 20 pages back :frustrated:
Is it normal to take a mortar barrel in the hoop? You're use of the word 'consensual' would imply that it is.
I could list a lot of our gaffs too, but I never claimed that my mob is flawless.

Remind me. What contribution did the RAF Regiment make to the invasion of Iraq?
I suspect they'll be quite happy to tell you the details - apparently they deployed on GW1 and GW2.

But it's an aside, what we as a country wants to do and think is advisable changes. Even as I type someone in the puzzle palace is planning a scenario where the carriers are bollixed and no host nation support is available for the F35B. If not, why not? Because...stuff happens.

The RAF Regt's FP tactic's were not random or not thought out as you are keen to imply. They were responding to the threat with the means at hand, & if lobbing 81mm at rocket & mortar FP/BP upsets you then though. @Class 66 has gone through it in detail, but yet you still attempt to disprove its effectiveness or imply the means didn't justify the end?

I thoroughly explained the reason why it was a poor practice, you seem to completely have ignored that. Hardly professional is it?

If someone says something you don’t like then take it up with them. Don’t assume I agree with them. If Army or RM had mortared an empty berm in Iraq I’d have the same attitude.

I can't spell Ammunition Technician but I are one?

US spooling autocorrect grips me - errant "Zee's" all over the shop.

He was quite a switched on lad, but possibly suffered from dyslexia. He rose up the ranks quickly enough, so it obviously wasn’t a big issue.

Yes the Regt has become redundant, that has been obvious for some time.

Is that something that’s been accepted or are you (RAF Regt) doing something about it.

He was quite a switched on lad, but possibly suffered from dyslexia. He rose up the ranks quickly enough, so it obviously wasn’t a big issue.
It isn't generally a big issue with anyone - "how are they at the job?" counts most. I've seen people with low academic qualifications who were great and vice versa, then my old boss - good quals, switched on to feck, top guy all round, good guitar player and the ladies loved him - the twat.

syrup

LE
We also used regular Sqns during the Cold War. If there's no ground threat in the UK and we're not doing expeditionary warfare we may as well bin the.....(insert regiment, arm, service of choice) and rely on reserves.

Lottery numbers for this weekend please. I know the operational and logistics reasons that it's not likely F35B will operate anywhere but a hard airfield, where the RAF Regt should fulfil its role but...I never foresaw us invading a country, toppling its leader and not having any viable stabilisation plan. In short, stuff happens.

Who is currently doing the role at Akrotiri while Op Shader is going on
IIRC 34 Sqn gave up the role in the 90's and the resident battalion at Epi was going to do it

Who is currently doing the role at Akrotiri while Op Shader is going on
IIRC 34 Sqn gave up the role in the 90's and the resident battalion at Epi was going to do it
Google fu tells me 2 Sqn for Hercs last year but that's it. The jet det will protect themselves with Coke/Sprite bottle barrages and beer can mortars I reckon.

neither have I you fool, if you have evidence the contrary point it out to me.
I said my lot were not perfect, I never said you made similar claims about your lot. So one of yours outshot one of ours on an internal course thirty five years ago. No one cares, move on. We did.
My last word.

Kefi

War Hero
I said my lot were not perfect, I never said you made similar claims about your lot. So one of yours outshot one of ours on an internal course thirty five years ago. No one cares, move on. We did.
My last word.

You have been the gobshite who has enjoyed up until now an uninterrupted slag fest of the Regt. Can you given an example of a time & place the Regt has impacted on your life, personal or work?
I bet the answer to that is no?
I lived on the BG married quarters in Cyprus, when I first got there the 2nd Bn SG were resident Bn. Had a fantastic time with guys, got invited to all the Bn events & drank & BBQ together regularly. That all changed where your lot moved in, theft, fighting, feral kids, one even threw a stone though my MQ window & the ugliest wives i'v ever seen. But I guess thats the difference when you have one Bn that has been to war & the other full of retards who can't even live in a civilised environment. Anyway as I told you before, I got a bag full of RRF stories that I'm more than happy to share.

Back to the time you & I were in the same place at the same time. The Regt guys who attended your Bn sniper course outperformed you hands down. Your guys lacked basic Inf skills & as my mates told me it was like taking candy from a baby. So not only out shot, but outperformed in the field doing the Inf stuff you profess to be the masters of. Do yourself a favour & crawl back under that stone you came from, you are just embarrassing yourself.

You have been the gobshite who has enjoyed up until now an uninterrupted slag fest of the Regt. Can you given an example of a time & place the Regt has impacted on your life, personal or work?
I bet the answer to that is no?
I lived on the BG married quarters in Cyprus, when I first got there the 2nd Bn SG were resident Bn. Had a fantastic time with guys, got invited to all the Bn events & drank & BBQ together regularly. That all changed where your lot moved in, theft, fighting, feral kids, one even threw a stone though my MQ window & the ugliest wives i'v ever seen. But I guess thats the difference when you have one Bn that has been to war & the other full of retards who can't even live in a civilised environment. Anyway as I told you before, I got a bag full of RRF stories that I'm more than happy to share.

Back to the time you & I were in the same place at the same time. The Regt guys who attended your Bn sniper course outperformed you hands down. Your guys lacked basic Inf skills & as my mates told me it was like taking candy from a baby. So not only out shot, but outperformed in the field doing the Inf stuff you profess to be the masters of. Do yourself a favour & crawl back under that stone you came from, you are just embarrassing yourself.
Good to see you've moved on and are not bothered by events 35 years ago. Is this really what retirement/waiting for death looks like?

I suspect they'll be quite happy to tell you the details - apparently they deployed on GW1 and GW2.

But it's an aside, what we as a country wants to do and think is advisable changes. Even as I type someone in the puzzle palace is planning a scenario where the carriers are bollixed and no host nation support is available for the F35B. If not, why not? Because...stuff happens.
GW1 they managed to sneak their Light Armoured Squadron onto the FET to protect the helicopters. To say that the Joint Commander was apoplectic is an understatement.

GW2 there was IIRC no deployment to the multiple DOBs beyond a STO cell on each. They were all well found bases. Was there was a single incidence of a formed Regiment unit deploying to any of the DOBs during the 15+ years of enduring air operations over Iraq?

Telic, they deployed in role to Basra to protect the COB. Early days, they were probably effective. Once things got warmer, WIMIC Landrovers were not the vehicles to be in.

Kefi

War Hero
Is that something that’s been accepted or are you (RAF Regt) doing something about it.
The Regt has tried in vain to reinvent itself, but its clear its come to the end of the road. As I have already stated above the RAFP are the people for an on base security force. The Regt's one & only reason to exist was to stop the threat before it got close to the RAF asset. To do this it had to be mobil, with an Inf ethos of both attack & defence, the RAF don't want that insurance policy anymore. The RAF has always struggled with a trade group who fit more into the army box than the RAF one & it will not be sad to see us go. The current CAS wants us watered down & pulled inline with the PC RAF doctrine. The Regt selection & training was amended to get females in the door, RAFP integrated & in some cases in command of Regt pers.

Latest Threads