Does the RAF regiment have a future?

The two blokes on the right are not Regt. One is technical. Are you suggesting they be binned because their working dress (which they could have been wearing on shift all day before the meet and greet) isn’t up to a morning parade standard? What time of day were these images taken? Do you think HRH gives a tinkers cuss?

Why do the army insist on this imposition of their standards (for their organisation) onto another? If that had been the army running the day you can bet your boots there would have been lots and lots of pointless bullshit doled out to the lads and for what?
‘And for what’?
Standards old chap. Standards.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
Yes. We all have a bugbear. The others I skimmed over, not really noticing them, but ordnance spelled incorrectly always jumps out at me.

I had a young AT who couldn’t spell Ammunition or Technician.
Could he tell red from blue? I understand that is important.

The two blokes on the right are not Regt. One is technical. Are you suggesting they be binned because their working dress (which they could have been wearing on shift all day before the meet and greet) isn’t up to a morning parade standard? What time of day were these images taken? Do you think HRH gives a tinkers cuss?

Why do the army insist on this imposition of their standards (for their organisation) onto another? If that had been the army running the day you can bet your boots there would have been lots and lots of pointless bullshit doled out to the lads and for what?

ETA; I imagine the Aircraft was fit to fly. Which is what we care about. Not ironing bloody trousers.

STANDARDS!!! ;-)

Yes. We all have a bugbear. The others I skimmed over, not really noticing them, but ordnance spelled incorrectly always jumps out at me.

I had a young AT who couldn’t spell Ammunition or Technician.
I had recruits who could barely spell their own names. And they were the ones with degrees.

Kefi

Old-Salt
I had to laugh, not because I’m overly concerned about it, but because I’m thinking how apoplectic an RSM would be.
Of course you had to laugh, its what insecure people do, they look around & find something they can belittle & make themselves feel better.

Polyester

War Hero
‘And for what’?
Standards old chap. Standards.
The only standards that mattered to crabs was aircraft standards. Everything takes a back seat. We had enough on our plate keeping the A/C in good nick.

It matters for the army, (fair enough) and I would imagine for a very good reason. For the crabs, it’s meaningless.

Of course, being extremely handsome, I elevated my polyester bus conductor uniform to a higher standard than my peers.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
Colour perception is important, yes.
You cannot join the Navy if you are colour blind, I am led to believe. But you can be a sparky in the Army.

Serious question, can you be colour blind in EOD? I only ever did one search tour of NI and know we had colour blind guys in the troop.

ETA; I imagine the Aircraft was fit to fly. Which is what we care about. Not ironing bloody trousers.
Didnt say they were Regt. There is smart and there is bullshit. An iron and uniformity are just small things really. After all you wear a uniform to look the same and for a purpose. Yes its working dress although I know you RAF types hate wearing camouflage, but even working dress for a visit by Royalty can look a little smarter. And as for HRH, she came what we call smart casual.....you lot, well i think it was just casual.

Another muppet with no grasp of sarcasm & irony.

The difference between you & I is that I served for 23 years in the RAF Regt & underwent the training, you did not. You have no understanding of my Regt's history & its past exploits. You can say whatever you like & will be supported by some of the hard of thinking members of ARRSE, it does not make you right. The RAF Regt was based on an Inf first ethos & evolved AD & light armour skills along with an airborne capability & artillery to name but a few.

Fill your boots discrediting the below facts.

Subsequently, Regiment Units from the UK formed part of the invasion forces which landed at the other end of the desert, in Algiers Bay, for Operation TORCH. These units had been well-trained and equipped to a high standard in the UK and were fully committed to the operations which led to the defeat of the German and Italian forces in North Africa. Because of the rhythm and speed of the advance, the Regiment units frequently found themselves in the Army combat zone in an offensive role, and as a
result were the first units to enter Tunis and Bizerta.
After North Africa, Regiment units landed over the beaches of Sicily
with the invading force, and occupied the airfields at Catania and Palermo. Fortunately most of the force went in by sea and were not involved in the mess and confusion of the airborne assault on the island. But despite Allied superiority in the air and on the ground it took 39 days to complete the occupation of the island, during which time the Regiment undertook its classical role of securing the airfields and landing grounds.
A squadron landed at Salerno and other units quickly followed across the Straits of Messina to Reggio, Bari and the Foggia Plain, and two squadrons were deployed to defend the radar installations in Sardinia and Corsica. From time to time, as the threat to home airfields decreased, Regiment units were released to supplement the Army in the line, and were engaged in some of the fiercest fighting of the war, for example at Monte Cassino, where they fought alongside the Poles and the New Zealanders, for which a Battle Honour was later awarded.
Is this you?

1631733839058.png

Polyester

War Hero
Didnt say they were Regt. There is smart and there is bullshit. An iron and uniformity are just small things really. After all you wear a uniform to look the same and for a purpose. Yes its working dress although I know you RAF types hate wearing camouflage, but even working dress for a visit by Royalty can look a little smarter. And as for HRH, she came what we call smart casual.....you lot, well i think it was just casual.
Sorry, and yes i left the Army 8 years ago so what do i know about the way things are, but even my son who is scruffy Infantry was slating them when he saw the article!
Anyway back to thread....bin them!
OK. So this thread is about the RAF Regt and you posted an article, which you then commented on about the standard of dress of the staff in images and that they should be binned. Who are you taking about then? The Rocks who don’t appear in the article or the Tech fitters who do?

I note you didn’t answer the questions I posed either. If I wanted to, I could drag up lots of images of the Guards tick tocking, uniformed army blokes in absolute rag order, articles about weapons left in supermarkets etc etc.

Glass houses.

OK. So this thread is about the RAF Regt and you posted an article, which you then commented on about the standard of dress of the staff in images and that they should be binned. Who are you taking about then? The Rocks who don’t appear in the article or the Tech fitters who do?
Without labouring on i did apologise for the thread drift in the first line and as a body of men and women in that you are ALL the RAF. But this is why when you speak to non-Regt RAF types, they all have the same comment that you have massive chips on your shoulders and you are only seen when there is GDT to be done and you get a hard on because some one from SCAF didn't do forward assist on the WHT.

I note you didn’t answer the questions I posed either. If I wanted to, I could drag up lots of images of the Guards tick tocking, uniformed army blokes in absolute rag order, articles about weapons left in supermarkets etc etc.

Glass houses.
Of course, but we do it with panache and flair.

Polyester

War Hero
Without labouring on i did apologise for the thread drift in the first line and as a body of men and women in that you are ALL the RAF. But this is why when you speak to non-Regt RAF types, they all have the same comment that you have massive chips on your shoulders and you are only seen when there is GDT to be done and you get a hard on because some one from SCAF didn't do forward assist on the WHT.
I wasn’t a rock ape. I was a technical fitter. I regarded the rocks (in the main) as decent professional men. They also got me out of the shit prior to my Iraq deployment (3 days notice, total drama).

I am just not keen on army hypocrisy (though I rate the British Army very highly).

Latest Threads