Does the RAF regiment have a future?

On the 2006 tour we had permission to return fire with HE at their Firing Points, the gen was, I was watchkeeper at the time, so as soon as we had Contact, the RA desk would with the aid of their ASP Posts triagulate the firing point, pass over the Grid to myself, I would check that the FP was not within the danger area for civilians (244m of habitation) If i remeber correctly. We would then return fire with HE. That for a while slowed down their attacks, which up until then could be twice a day, some times 3 attacks.

I’m assuming that was to counter enemy mortars and not rockets.

Kefi

Old-Salt
Just to confirm that the RAF Regt is not Inf & have zero Inf skills. Although they have won a few golds during the Cambrian mills skills. They do have RAF Regt instructors on PCBC & provide men for the SFSG & an exchange SNCO attached to the RM. Not to mention the forward air controllers attached to 16 air assault & 29 Commando. Its a bit of a mystery where they get the tick in the box to do these high profile Inf & commando jobs?

Correct - RAF Regt are not inf. however you are incorrect that they don’t have infantry skills. they do have infantry skills in the same way that the RA, Cav, RE, RLC, int Corps , and R Sigs have inf skills. The little video clip could equally be any of those organisations. Who also have chas in SFSG et etc etc and who have NCOs who do Brecon, and officers who do PCBC.

Another muppet with no grasp of sarcasm & irony.

The difference between you & I is that I served for 23 years in the RAF Regt & underwent the training, you did not. You have no understanding of my Regt's history & its past exploits. You can say whatever you like & will be supported by some of the hard of thinking members of ARRSE, it does not make you right. The RAF Regt was based on an Inf first ethos & evolved AD & light armour skills along with an airborne capability & artillery to name but a few.

Fill your boots discrediting the below facts.

Subsequently, Regiment Units from the UK formed part of the invasion forces which landed at the other end of the desert, in Algiers Bay, for Operation TORCH. These units had been well-trained and equipped to a high standard in the UK and were fully committed to the operations which led to the defeat of the German and Italian forces in North Africa. Because of the rhythm and speed of the advance, the Regiment units frequently found themselves in the Army combat zone in an offensive role, and as a
result were the first units to enter Tunis and Bizerta.
After North Africa, Regiment units landed over the beaches of Sicily
with the invading force, and occupied the airfields at Catania and Palermo. Fortunately most of the force went in by sea and were not involved in the mess and confusion of the airborne assault on the island. But despite Allied superiority in the air and on the ground it took 39 days to complete the occupation of the island, during which time the Regiment undertook its classical role of securing the airfields and landing grounds.
A squadron landed at Salerno and other units quickly followed across the Straits of Messina to Reggio, Bari and the Foggia Plain, and two squadrons were deployed to defend the radar installations in Sardinia and Corsica. From time to time, as the threat to home airfields decreased, Regiment units were released to supplement the Army in the line, and were engaged in some of the fiercest fighting of the war, for example at Monte Cassino, where they fought alongside the Poles and the New Zealanders, for which a Battle Honour was later awarded.

The difference between you & I is that I served for 23 years in the RAF Regt & underwent the training, you did not. You have no understanding of my Regt's history & its past exploits. You can say whatever you like & will be supported by some of the hard of thinking members of ARRSE, it does not make you right. The RAF Regt was based on an Inf first ethos & evolved AD & light armour skills along with an airborne capability & artillery to name but a few.

Subsequently, Regiment Units from the UK formed part of the invasion forces which landed at the other end of the desert, in Algiers Bay, for Operation TORCH. These units had been well-trained and equipped to a high standard in the UK and were fully committed to the operations which led to the defeat of the German and Italian forces in North Africa. Because of the rhythm and speed of the advance, the Regiment units frequently found themselves in the Army combat zone in an offensive role, and as a
with the invading force, and occupied the airfields at Catania and Palermo. Fortunately most of the force went in by sea and were not involved in the mess and confusion of the airborne assault on the island. But despite Allied superiority in the air and on the ground it took 39 days to complete the occupation of the island, during which time the Regiment undertook its classical role of securing the airfields and landing grounds.
A squadron landed at Salerno and other units quickly followed across the Straits of Messina to Reggio, Bari and the Foggia Plain, and two squadrons were deployed to defend the radar installations in Sardinia and Corsica. From time to time, as the threat to home airfields decreased, Regiment units were released to supplement the Army in the line, and were engaged in some of the fiercest fighting of the war, for example at Monte Cassino, where they fought alongside the Poles and the New Zealanders, for which a Battle Honour was later awarded.
Any of your ' regt' mates go to KIA?

No I thought not

Was that while the Talb were taking over Afghanistan, or even when you served?

Only 23 years? But I do love a bit of military history. The Peninsula campaign among my favourites.

Yes, Both.

There’s a couple of problems with trying to counter rockets. Their range is beyond the range of the 81mm (and long gone are the days of supercharging it with a bit of petrol down the tube and a couple of extra augmenting carts jammed on).

Rockets were fired from angle iron laid on berms, sometimes they wouldn’t even bother with the angle iron. Fair enough this reduced the range, but even then still more than the 81mm mortar once they had become adept at it. A hole is pierced in the base of the rocket and a length of safety fuse pushed in. By the time the rocket has launched the enemy are far away. Assuming the FP is within range of mortars all you’d be firing at would be a few bits of angle iron.

I’m not saying there wasn’t counter fire, but it doesn’t make sense.

Yes. The reason being that Rapier was an Army asset, not only that the RA utilised the system far better and demonstrated this with better firing records. RAF Regt also damaged several missiles through poor handling, which doesn’t sit well when they are up to £86k a pop.
This is a thread drift but i couldn't be arsed starting a thread but this today just shows how slap-dash they can be in line with Dingerr's comment.
Wills missus visited Brize Norton to see the people who took part in Op Pitting...all good stuff and from a Station point of view, well worth showing off how professional they are.
But instead we had sleeves up, sleeves down, Beret on, Beret off ( yes, yes airfield FOD and all that and sometimes it stops the need to salute every 2 mins) and trouser up or down...or if you are the Station Warrant Officer, both! And has the QM or whatever they have in the RAF chopped all the electric iron plugs as well??
Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 19.48.21.png

Sorry, and yes i left the Army 8 years ago so what do i know about the way things are, but even my son who is scruffy Infantry was slating them when he saw the article!
Anyway back to thread....bin them!

Blinkin' hell, are you one of the Brummies, there seemed to be loads of Brummies Army and RAF Regt at SAWI level in the Rapier world? Ah AT just seen it, REME?

No. Ammunition Technician - RLC. We attend all non operational firings of Guided Weapons within the Land Service.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
The sappers who cleared up the place for us on arrival were fantastic. They worked bloody hard and threw some great parties (I recall the Gp Capt set a 2-can rule so the Sapper OC told him they would save all theirs for Saturday nights and have a blow-out once a week. POD didn't have the balls to say no!). The young lad driving the heavy wheel tractor clearing the site for our mobile ATC cabin had the biggest grin on his face as submunitions pinged off the dozer blade.
Our OC was an ex 9 Sqn full screw, he talked the talk and walked the walk. Most decisions we didn't understand, but we followed him.

I sat in the cab with a mate from training as the heavy wheely set of the bomb blew up underneath, interesting to say the least.

The bomb let's we're actually American as they accompanied the Paveways designed to put the taxi ways out of use. If you can't get to the runway, you can't use it but an incoming aircraft can land.

We also mine cleared by hand the bomb let's where the Russians told us to park. Similar to our anti personnel mines, legal at the time, we flipped the surface laid ordinance out of the way with our bayonets and hoped for the best.

This is a thread drift but i couldn't be arsed starting a thread but this today just shows how slap-dash they can be in line with Dingerr's comment.
Wills missus visited Brize Norton to see the people who took part in Op Pitting...all good stuff and from a Station point of view, well worth showing off how professional they are.
But instead we had sleeves up, sleeves down, Beret on, Beret off ( yes, yes airfield FOD and all that and sometimes it stops the need to salute every 2 mins) and trouser up or down...or if you are the Station Warrant Officer, both! And has the QM or whatever they have in the RAF chopped all the electric iron plugs as well??
View attachment 604364

Sorry, and yes i left the Army 8 years ago so what do i know about the way things are, but even my son who is scruffy Infantry was slating them when he saw the article!

I had to laugh, not because I’m overly concerned about it, but because I’m thinking how apoplectic an RSM would be.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
Our OC was an ex 9 Sqn full screw, he talked the talk and walked the walk. Most decisions we didn't understand, but we followed him.

I sat in the cab with a mate from training as the heavy wheely set of the bomb blew up underneath, interesting to say the least.

The bomb let's we're actually American as they accompanied the Paveways designed to put the taxi ways out of use. If you can't get to the runway, you can't use it but an incoming aircraft can land.

We also mine cleared by hand the bomb let's where the Russians told us to park. Similar to our anti personnel mines, legal at the time, we flipped the surface laid ordinance out of the way with our bayonets and hoped for the best.
@dingerr

You were called REME.

I wrote of instead of off.

I wrote bomb let's instead of bomblets.

I wrote we're instead of were.

And you got upset by Ordinance?

Polyester

War Hero
View attachment 604364

The two blokes on the right are not Regt. One is technical. Are you suggesting they be binned because their working dress (which they could have been wearing on shift all day before the meet and greet) isn’t up to a morning parade standard? What time of day were these images taken? Do you think HRH gives a tinkers cuss?

Why do the army insist on this imposition of their standards (for their organisation) onto another? If that had been the army running the day you can bet your boots there would have been lots and lots of pointless bullshit doled out to the lads and for what?

ETA; I imagine the Aircraft was fit to fly. Which is what we care about. Not ironing bloody trousers.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
The two blokes on the right are not Regt. One is technical. Are you suggesting they be binned because their working dress (which they could have been wearing on shift all day before the meet and greet) isn’t up to a morning parade standard? What time of day were these images taken? Do you think HRH gives a tinkers cuss?

Why do the army insist on this imposition of their standards (for their organisation) onto another? If that had been the army running the day you can bet your boots there would have been lots and lots of pointless bullshit doled out to the lads and for what?
Because you were spawned by us, you are our bastard love child.

You are welcome.

And sleeves however the **** you want, just be consistent.

And you got upset by Ordinance?

Yes. We all have a bugbear. The others I skimmed over, not really noticing them, but ordnance spelled incorrectly always jumps out at me.

I had a young AT who couldn’t spell Ammunition or Technician.

Latest Threads