Does the RAF regiment have a future?

No I think any clear headed & reasonable person would come to the same conclusion. Your obvious bias like so many others posting here highlights a very dark & pitiful army mentality. Disrespecting any service that has lost men & had many others suffer life changing injuries is a poor show & a sad refection on you as individuals.

You made things up. It may be your opinion, but I never said it, therefore you made it up.

In those good old days of RAF Germany, the Regiment did security outside the wire, plus they did SHORAD and coordinated STO operations both inside and outside the wire. Groundcrew did inside the wire.

IMHO (from multiple TACEVALs) they were pretty good at what they did. A bit of a niche sport and not particularly complicated, but they were well trained and equiped for their role. It wasn’t something that conventional infantry routinely rehearsed or were equipped for.

In the intervening years, they had a role in the period of expeditionary posture. Less clear and defined than in the Cold War years, but still highly relevant. The fact that it wasn’t ever really used wasn’t their fault.

Now, with much of the RAFs expeditionary capability flying of carriers and the appetite for bare base DOBs gone, it’s hard to see where their future lies.
UK MOBs and someone, at some stage, is going to want to deploy F35 away from the carriers.

That being the case, why didn’t the RAF Regt do anything about it on Telic?

It took the Army to establish a FOB and commence standing patrols. This is the kind of mitigation the RAF Regt should hold in it’s bag of tricks.

Now bear in mind I’m not saying RAF Regt can’t do the job, I’m saying they didn’t do the job that was required. I bet the guys would have been up for it, but it’s no good if the person steering the ship is steering it away from danger.

Did they not though? I was on TELIC 13, and I don't recall the diminished frequency of IDF being down to either RAF Regt or the Army - I seem to remember that rotation - the last TELIC - after the Iraqis had done Op Charge of the White Knights* - a lot of UK patrolling and ground domination was on hold so as to let Iraqi forces get up to speed. The rockets were few and far between compared to say 2006-7.

I reckon you may be barking up the wrong tree there, there were so many air movements into Bas that if the Regt Sqn at the time were doing pure TESSERAL, then they may not have actually been on the C-IDF task.

That they did have a genuine C-IDF effect at Kandahar was because other NATO types had other bits of the Air FP role, freeing up the Regt Sqn (during the time I was there) to dominate the ground and do TESSERAL concurrently with C-IDF, which couldn't be done at Bas.

* It might have been called something other than Charge of the White Knights, but it certainly was an unexpected big push I think the Iraqi PM Maliki sprang on the Basra AOR with little notice which was talked up as having toned down the insurgency for a bit.

was on TELIC 13, and I don't recall the diminished frequency of IDF being down to either RAF Regt or the Army

I was the ATO on Telic 13 and didn’t have to deal with any IDF attacks. Now either none happened, or I’m completely deaf and no one tasked me.

The outlying FOB (Edinburgh?) was deemed to have prevented attacks. When the Brits unceremoniously left in May 2009 US Troops did not occupy the FOB and 107mm attacks resumed.

In 32 years in the Regiment I never heard the word Security, The RAF Regiment Does not do 'security'. It defends Air bases amongst a myriad of other things using the principles of Defence and Patrolling. Mutual support, All round defence, Deception, Depth, Offensive spirit, Concealment and communications, hope i havn't forgotten anything for the 5% purists who use this site! This was correct up until 2014, I am now a stinking Civvy.
The RAF Regiment also don't read threads nor get context apparently.

Last edited:
I was the ATO on Telic 13 and didn’t have to deal with any IDF attacks. Now either none happened, or I’m completely deaf and no one tasked me.

The outlying FOB (Edinburgh?) was deemed to have prevented attacks. When the Brits unceremoniously left in May 2009 US Troops did not occupy the FOB and 107mm attacks resumed.

I was there Jan-May-ish 2009, was that TELIC 13? And are you talking about Basra Air Station? I specifically remember 2 occasions with rounds landing on. The first I was walking towards the bus stop nearest Trenchard Lines. 20 Bde had just taken over from 7 Bde and were busy painting Iron Fists all over Desert Rat colours on the blast walls. I took cover behind a giant Bde coloured concrete block. I was told a civvy contractor got killed. The next made my work - a little portakabin behind the HQ building (had been MNDSE and was now the Bde HQ) bounce on its legs. We were told it was Austrian 122mm.

I kept a daily diary and so could likely date them - but I'm overseas and my removals haven't caught up.

Class 66

War Hero
That being the case, why didn’t the RAF Regt do anything about it on Telic?

It took the Army to establish a FOB and commence standing patrols. This is the kind of mitigation the RAF Regt should hold in it’s bag of tricks.

Now bear in mind I’m not saying RAF Regt can’t do the job, I’m saying they didn’t do the job that was required. I bet the guys would have been up for it, but it’s no good if the person steering the ship is steering it away from danger.
If i remember correctly, we did have a GDA around Basra, there were other areas around Basra such as DANBAT (danish AOR) they refused to go out at night which didn't take the enemy long before they started hitting us from that location.

Last edited:
Just to confirm that the RAF Regt is not Inf & have zero Inf skills. Although they have won a few golds during the Cambrian mills skills. They do have RAF Regt instructors on PCBC & provide men for the SFSG & an exchange SNCO attached to the RM. Not to mention the forward air controllers attached to 16 air assault & 29 Commando. Its a bit of a mystery where they get the tick in the box to do these high profile Inf & commando jobs?
Correct - RAF Regt are not inf. however you are incorrect that they don’t have infantry skills. they do have infantry skills in the same way that the RA, Cav, RE, RLC, int Corps , and R Sigs have inf skills. The little video clip could equally be any of those organisations. Who also have chas in SFSG et etc etc and who have NCOs who do Brecon, and officers who do PCBC.

I was there Jan-May-ish 2009, was that TELIC 13? And are you talking about Basra Air Station? I specifically remember 2 occasions with rounds landing on. The first I was walking towards the bus stop nearest Trenchard Lines. 20 Bde had just taken over from 7 Bde and were busy painting Iron Fists all over Desert Rat colours on the blast walls. I took cover behind a giant Bde coloured concrete block. I was told a civvy contractor got killed. The next made my work - a little portakabin behind the HQ building (had been MNDSE and was now the Bde HQ) bounce on its legs. We were told it was Austrian 122mm.

Only ever knew it as the COB, but yes, it was the air station.

Ah yes, I remember that now. Happened a few days before I arrived. Don’t remember a 2nd attack though.

It was mostly EFP attacks taking out MRAPs.

The 122mm Rocket is Russian, from the Grad MLRS.

Hopkins

Old-Salt
If i remember correctly, we did have a GDA around Basra, there were other areas around Bara such as DANBAT (danish AOR) they refused to go out at night which didn't take the enemy long before they started hitting us from that location.

This would be after they took over from the LONDONS or whatever TA mob have been doing the job perfectly adequately until someone RAF noticed.

Class 66

War Hero
Just to confirm that the RAF Regt is not Inf & have zero Inf skills. Although they have won a few golds during the Cambrian mills skills. They do have RAF Regt instructors on PCBC & provide men for the SFSG & an exchange SNCO attached to the RM. Not to mention the forward air controllers attached to 16 air assault & 29 Commando. Its a bit of a mystery where they get the tick in the box to do these high profile Inf & commando jobs?

Correct - RAF Regt are not inf. however you are incorrect that they don’t have infantry skills. they do have infantry skills in the same way that the RA, Cav, RE, RLC, int Corps , and R Sigs have inf skills. The little video clip could equally be any of those organisations. Who also have chas in SFSG et etc etc and who have NCOs who do Brecon, and officers who do PCBC.
Wrong, Those units that you have mentioned here RA etc, infantry skills is their second skill not their primary skill. The RAF Regiments Infantry skills are their primary skill.

I was there Jan-May-ish 2009, 2008 was that TELIC 13? And are you talking about Basra Air Station? I specifically remember 2 occasions with rounds landing on. The first I was walking towards the bus stop nearest Trenchard Lines. 20 Bde had just taken over from 7 Bde and were busy painting Iron Fists all over Desert Rat colours on the blast walls. I took cover behind a giant Bde coloured concrete block. I was told a civvy contractor got killed. The next made my work - a little portakabin behind the HQ building (had been MNDSE and was now the Bde HQ) bounce on its legs. We were told it was Austrian 122mm.

I kept a daily diary and so could likely date them - but I'm overseas and my removals haven't caught up.
A year out mate

Hopkins

Old-Salt
They may well have done but they were there to support us. Not the other way round.

No they weren't, they were under Army command. Do stop making things up. Though, whatever the command relationships, it is telling that the TA were able to do the RAF Regt's job perfectly well.

Last edited:
Eee.... It were definitely 20 Armoured Brigade, I remember sniggering about the Iron Fist. And wikipedia says they went on Telic in 2008 until it ended in 2009. But I am getting old and there has been a few miles and many pints since then.

Dec 2008 to Apr 30 2009. Although many of us ended up spending a few extra weeks in the US camp in Kuwait.

Class 66

War Hero
No they weren't, they were under Army command. Do stop making things up. Though, whatever the command relationships, it is telling that the TA were able to do the RAF Regt's job perfectly well.
It was 15 years ago! No they did not do our job perfectly well. I cannot remember their mortar line, for example, I don't think they had one. I do remember they did a lot of convoys Shaiba and back.

Latest Threads