Does the RAF regiment have a future?

Well, my memories of the army are, i was in a battalion that robbed post offices, same company, dug in on Stanta, warning order for a water crossing the next morning, all the so called hard men on the platoon talked about refusing to do it and mutinying! Following morning got to location and the assault pioneers were there with a MK5. assault boat, look of relief on all the hard mens faces! Who in their right minds wants to live with idiots like that? No wonder 15/20% of the RAF Regiment are ex army! Some of us do not suffer fools. Out.
The use of Out. At the end of a post is a sure fire indicator of an utter throbber.
Hope that helps.

Were you there to see it?

I've got to say, I'm fairly sure the GDA and/or TESSERAL patrols from Kandahar while I was there in 07 went out at least 7km as I recall. Although I was not on them. Similarly on my Bastion trip in 11-12, I stood on the 105 gun line and watched them fire an illum mission and I'm sure they (the RA gunners) told me it was in support of a RAF Regt night op somewhere well out.

Class 66

War Hero
I've got to say, I'm fairly sure the GDA and/or TESSERAL patrols from Kandahar while I was there in 07 went out at least 7km as I recall. Although I was not on them. Similarly on my Bastion trip in 11-12, I stood on the 105 gun line and watched them fire an illum mission and I'm sure they (the RA gunners) told me it was in support of a RAF Regt night op somewhere well out.
Think of the range of a 107mm Rocket, approx 8k, to the flanks of the runway then add 10k either side of the approach and take off ends of the runway which is the approx danger area template for a hand held shoulder fired anti aircraft system add 2.5 k for the runway itself and there you have the approx template for a GDA. If a village is on one of the extremities of that template, the template is extended.

Kefi

Old-Salt
Stop making things up about what I said.
Sorry did I not hear you right?

@dingerr said " If a similar operation were to take place today, I doubt RAF Regt would be pushing 7k out, the Army would be used to dominate ground". So in other words the army doing what the RAF Regt used to do, & you did not attach any sarcasm or infer that it would make the pongos MPG's, barrier mechanics or even mention the EFI once FFS I repeat 0 the fooooooking irony. Welcome to the world of ARRSE, frequented by the hard of thinking :frustrated:

Sorry did I not hear you right?

@dingerr said " If a similar operation were to take place today, I doubt RAF Regt would be pushing 7k out, the Army would be used to dominate ground". So in other words the army doing what the RAF Regt used to do, & you did not attach any sarcasm or infer that it would make the pongos MPG's, barrier mechanics or even mention the EFI once FFS I repeat 0 the fooooooking irony. Welcome to the world of ARRSE, frequented by the hard of thinking :frustrated:

There you go, you made things up about my post.

Refreshing of someone to admit such a thing.

Kefi

Old-Salt
Think of the range of a 107mm Rocket, approx 8k, to the flanks of the runway then add 10k either side of the approach and take off ends of the runway which is the approx danger area template for a hand held shoulder fired anti aircraft system add 2.5 k for the runway itself and there you have the approx template for a GDA. If a village is on one of the extremities of that template, the template is extended.

Mate STOP talking from experience & belittling the hard of thinking, it will turn nasty mark my words ;)

Class 66

War Hero
Trouble is, such was the big timing of the RAF Regt in Afg that is hard to believe anything that’s said positively about them.
The average RAF Regt gunner does not big time anything, he is well aware of his role and also well aware of the Armies role. We follow the Infantries syllabus in training, PDT and promotion courses with the aim of, if we ever get in the shit, we have been given the tools to sort it. So if he walks around with a bit of pride about him then good for him.

Kefi

Old-Salt
There you go, you made things up about my post.

Refreshing of someone to admit such a thing.
No I think any clear headed & reasonable person would come to the same conclusion. Your obvious bias like so many others posting here highlights a very dark & pitiful army mentality. Disrespecting any service that has lost men & had many others suffer life changing injuries is a poor show & a sad refection on you as individuals.

That being the case, why didn’t the RAF Regt do anything about it on Telic?

It took the Army to establish a FOB and commence standing patrols. This is the kind of mitigation the RAF Regt should hold in it’s bag of tricks.

Now bear in mind I’m not saying RAF Regt can’t do the job, I’m saying they didn’t do the job that was required. I bet the guys would have been up for it, but it’s no good if the person steering the ship is steering it away from danger.