Does the RAF regiment have a future?

It was happening in NI long before that, too.
All personal mail had to be shredded and the bins in HQNI were checked regularly by Abe a gnarled Irishman who would think nothing of walking straight to your boss and telling them if he had found anything. Finds when I was there included A TS UKEA, a 9mm pistol and ammunition and many personal letters

I’ve never seen or heard of anyone taking a salute in mess dress before.

Is it just an RAF thing?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Something to do with the Battle of Britain. Should have been conducted in Polish, of course, to commemorate the ones who did, you know, most of the shooting down.

All personal mail had to be shredded and the bins in HQNI were checked regularly by Abe a gnarled Irishman who would think nothing of walking straight to your boss and telling them if he had found anything. Finds when I was there included A TS UKEA, a 9mm pistol and ammunition and many personal letters
A friend of mine, former infantry, recounted how, on his first NI tour, he'd been part of his battalion's Int Cell.
Less than 4 hours in the Province, on a handover/ takeover intro patrol of known watering holes, he's approached by a complete stranger: " Hello Fred, wife's birthday next week, do we send a card to Hometown or Garrison?"
No mail, no unguarded gossip, just better int gathering by the other side, or a good bluff?

QRK2

LE

Is it just an RAF thing?

Not really, I've seen it relatively often, normally when there is some sort of band playing, eg beating retreat, outdoors before a dinner, also at Royal Tournaments (RIP) and events like the Mountbatten Festival.

A friend of mine, former infantry, recounted how, on his first NI tour, he'd been part of his battalion's Int Cell.
Less than 4 hours in the Province, on a handover/ takeover intro patrol of known watering holes, he's approached by a complete stranger: " Hello Fred, wife's birthday next week, do we send a card to Hometown or Garrison?"
No mail, no unguarded gossip, just better int gathering by the other side, or a good bluff?
There was a well documented leak which was taught on the NIRTT course which named the Battalion and gave names of individuals from it which was published in Anophoblacht.

Firms still pay people now to trawl corporate waste to try and glean information, the IRA were masters of it

Is it just an RAF thing?
I've never saluted in Mess Dress as you normally wear no headdress. I know you could wear headdress if you wanted as detailed in Army Dress Regs, but I never saw it in my 25 years in

Try again : RAF police man the perimeter gates, patrol the boundary fence, maintain discipline within the base, and have an int & sy function.
RAF regiment secure the base, including areas outside the perimeter.
It's a simple enough distinction.

You try again. The RAFP have not manned the gates of UK mainland stations since 2005, when they handed it over to the MPGS. The sy function is the main effort, which their head of branch (Provost Marshal) attributes 80% of the work to.

Guess he’s not where he belongs then considering he was cremated and thrown in the lsar river.....

Suspected that he may have gone up in smoke, but have never been bothered enough about his fate to look it up.

Not really, I've seen it relatively often, normally when there is some sort of band playing, eg beating retreat, outdoors before a dinner, also at Royal Tournaments (RIP) and events like the Mountbatten Festival.
It’s standard at the Edinburgh Tattoo.

Was told by Inf Maj he received a Christmas Card from IRA to his home address next Christmas after his return from emergency tour. How much int was being collected by IRA supporters in UK?

Slime

LE
Was told by Inf Maj he received a Christmas Card from IRA to his home address next Christmas after his return from emergency tour. How much int was being collected by IRA supporters in UK?

The PIRA phone tapping of MOD property in the the province would also have helped, as would the info from civilian workers.

The question of what they could have done on the U.K. mainland (as opposed to in NI) might be better asked as what they would have done?

We all saw soldiers and police successfully targeted in their homes (I didn’t like typing that) in NI, but maybe PIRA figured shooting people in their own homes in England might unleash a bigger backlash from the authorities.
Imho PIRA relied on the U.K. government playing the game whereby we didn’t go balls out to finish them off.

The PIRA phone tapping of MOD property in the the province would also have helped, as would the info from civilian workers.

The question of what they could have done on the U.K. mainland (as opposed to in NI) might be better asked as what they would have done?

We all saw soldiers and police successfully targeted in their homes (I didn’t like typing that) in NI, but maybe PIRA figured shooting people in their own homes in England might unleash a bigger backlash from the authorities.
Imho PIRA relied on the U.K. government playing the game whereby we didn’t go balls out to finish them off.
" An acceptable level of violence" was the weasel phrase.
Much akin to current problems with Islamists.

Slime

LE
" An acceptable level of violence" was the weasel phrase.
Much akin to current problems with Islamists.

Heres the funny/sad thing imho.
You could come back instantly with that reply, and yet decades after the U.K. has been playing in that game it seems that only our opponents have mastered it to their advantage :(

Many would say that in the ‘50s and ‘60s the Brits often came out on top in brush wars or insurgencies, but since that time we have given too much ground to opponents.

Edit…….I had to double check the spelling on something lol.
In the last week I’ve heard Sir Robert Winston critiqued on the Beeb for stating facts about human biology. Since the death of Sir David Amess some news outlets have mentioned Anjem Choudary, but Ive only heard TalkRadio criticise him.
When we live in times where fact is disputed, and hateful speech is ignored we are up the proverbial creek imho.

Latest Threads