Does the RAF regiment have a future?

One of my friends is a Staish at a fighter station, the rocks don’t even feature in his mindset of what’s important.
Sad really, as an airfield defence force is one of those things that needs to be in place and properly equipped right not, and not something to think about once an attack starts.

You might well be making a good point about using army sites for training, but there are already a few army sites that are former RAF stations that have enough spare room to house/train rocks too.

Even II Sqn could just do P company with the army.
That would cut the need for RAF pre para, would end the are they/aren’t they real para debate………..and would really annoy the paras :)
That cuts it down to two stations BTW, one of which doesn't have any rocks apart from whatever they call GDT nowadays. Is it Chris then? ;-)

Slime

LE
That cuts it down to two stations BTW, one of which doesn't have any rocks apart from whatever they call GDT nowadays. Is it Chris then? ;-)

No, it’s not.
So, now you have narrowed it down you may have seen his recent idea to make things better. :)
As I said, things like the rocks don’t feature in the thoughts of high flyers.
It seems there are other things people want to push in the new touchy feely air force :)

Everybody is slagging the RAF Regiment off, but if I had my time again I'd have joined them. Pride be damned.

Plenty of boys toys and a few games of soldiers, not too much bullshit or beasting, better food, more women on the RAF bases, a boozy German posting away from the Iron Triangle and within reach of Belgium and Holland...

It strikes me as the thinking squaddy's skive.

Ding Dong!

Clanker
I know a couple of RAF Regiment types who fought hard to stay on the RAF's books due to better TACOS when, after several years with Them, they were told they would have to transfer to the army. (early to mid '00s)
I believed, probably erroneously, that all who served in them were only detached from their parent unit?
Not disparaging your post, I’m probably misinformed.

Ding Dong!

Clanker
Everybody is slagging the RAF Regiment off, but if I had my time again I'd have joined them. Pride be damned.

Plenty of boys toys and a few games of soldiers, not too much bullshit or beasting, better food, more women on the RAF bases, a boozy German posting away from the Iron Triangle and within reach of Belgium and Holland...

It strikes me as the thinking squaddy's skive.
That’s a familiar conversation I’ve had with a few ex army lads.
Hence why I can’t understand some of the vitriol against the RAF regiment unless it’s sour grapes?
Inter service rivalry is one thing but there is some utter bollox spouted to justify a superiority complex from certain Army types.

Just finished a long and frankly, rather depressing conversation with Son No1Mk1 who is an Officer in the RAF Rgt. The successors to Air Marshall "Mike" are pretty much pretty much uninspiring. Two Men and one woman.
One of the male hopefuls made a long and detailed speech regarding the future of the RAF as he saw it - more expensive tech kit, more cyber Int, huge reduction in numbers, no role for the RAF Rgt. Second male hopeful pretty much the same views. Female candidate former flyer, headed up RAF equivalent of Staff College, superfast promotion and like the male candidates wants to ditch the Rgt.. As Woke as the most Woke thing in the world, has a female partner and is of mixed race heritage.

I wonder who the Next Air Chief Marshall will be?

There are rumours circulating the the RAF Rgt may possibly be absorbed into the orbat of the proposed Ranger Division but that will never happen because it's too sensible.

Oh, and too add to his deep joy the most recent promotion board for his next step up had around 300 candidates, there was one promotion. It has been made known that there will be no promotions for the next two to three years at least
Where is Herman Goring when we need him?

Hence why I can’t understand some of the vitriol against the RAF regiment unless it’s sour grapes?
Inter service rivalry is one thing but there is some utter bollox spouted to justify a superiority complex from certain Army types.

All joking apart, the average Rock Ape had a considerably better life than the average squaddy in a line regiment during the 80s and 90s. They also had a specific wartime role that they trained for and were good at.

The more astute squaddies were a tad envious and more than a few privately wished they'd known about the RAF Regiment when they first thought about joining the army.

The vitriol? It's usually either ignorance of the RAF Reg's Cold War role, or simple spite (there's never been a shortage of that). It can also be a reaction to modern Rock Apes trying to compete in the warry stakes with blokes who've done multiple kinetic tours in bad places - and not knowing when to can it.

It was never about their better conditions mate, only their big timing bollocks.

Just finished a long and frankly, rather depressing conversation with Son No1Mk1 who is an Officer in the RAF Rgt. The successors to Air Marshall "Mike" are pretty much pretty much uninspiring. Two Men and one woman.
One of the male hopefuls made a long and detailed speech regarding the future of the RAF as he saw it - more expensive tech kit, more cyber Int, huge reduction in numbers, no role for the RAF Rgt. Second male hopeful pretty much the same views. Female candidate former flyer, headed up RAF equivalent of Staff College, superfast promotion and like the male candidates wants to ditch the Rgt.. As Woke as the most Woke thing in the world, has a female partner and is of mixed race heritage.

I wonder who the Next Air Chief Marshall will be?

There are rumours circulating the the RAF Rgt may possibly be absorbed into the orbat of the proposed Ranger Division but that will never happen because it's too sensible.

Oh, and too add to his deep joy the most recent promotion board for his next step up had around 300 candidates, there was one promotion. It has been made known that there will be no promotions for the next two to three years at least
Sounds vile.

Give it a generation and the RAF will be composed of unmanned drones piloted by AI and maintained by robots. Probably better that way...

I think we can safely say that the RAF Regiment does not have a future.

Ding Dong!

Clanker
It was never about their better conditions mate, only their big timing bollocks.
But the big timing bolloks is largely an army invention. Are you telling me that the Army don’t big then selves up? I, and many other know that it is endemic in the British military of all services. Even the MOD feeds make out that we are all still a first grade fighting force. Including all races, creeds and colours. Oops, and sexuality, of course! When actually they are just doing the corporate bolloks to pretend a hollowed out British military are still capable.
Slagging off an element of your own arm that you differ from is one thing but of another service arm, that has no impact on yourself shows a degree of deflection that is just odd.
Is anyone suprised that the RAF have maintained their own branch and not relied on the Army to provide their ground defence when required?

Possibly because by late 1944, their DC3 pilots were actually getting the hang of delivering parachute troops at the right place, at the correct airspeed and altitude, in a coherent formation, such that they were able to regroup quickly on landing and execute their mission pretty much as per the plan briefed pre-emplaning.

Doing it in daylight, while taking relatively little flak (compared to previous drops in Sicily and Normandy) may well have been contributory factors

Just possibly . . . .
C-47s not DC-3s

Really?

That's going to be a bit of a surprise to the Divisional reconnaissance unit, 16/5 Queen's Royal Lancers, who, until now, had been under the impression that they provided that screen, what with it being their job and all.
I’ve already mentioned the egregious self-promotion that was 1 Squadrons deployment on Granby.

They were the last deployment to Kuwait, occupying the final slots available within the government’s imposed manpower ceiling. They were not requested by either Rupert Smith or Peter de la Billiere and the latter was highly scathing of their deployment. In fact, he wanted to send them back. Their deployment was not approved by the Joint Commander in High Wycombe who was apparently apoplectic.

They were nowhere near the Div Recce screen, a role for which they were not trained, equiped or prepared in theatre for. Few of them should have known what a Div Recce Screen is. They also had near zero organic CSS; and would have been a massive leach on the recce screens already very stretched CSS. So they were gainfully employed in the Div rear area where they no doubt carried out their duties professionally.

As for the OC crossing the border, my recollection is that he was, like many, engaging in battlefield tourism.

Are you telling me that the Army don’t big then selves up? I, and many other know that it is endemic in the British military of all services. Even the MOD feeds make out that we are all still a first grade fighting force. Including all races, creeds and colours. Oops, and sexuality, of course! When actually they are just doing the corporate bolloks to pretend a hollowed out British military are still capable.
Slagging off an element of your own arm that you differ from is one thing but of another service arm, that has no impact on yourself shows a degree of deflection that is just odd.
Is anyone suprised that the RAF have maintained their own branch and not relied on the Army to provide their ground defence when required?

But the big timing bolloks is largely an army invention.

No it is not.

Last edited:
Outperforming?

The only joke around here is pricks like you, now F%$k off in short sharp jerky movments.

The first British unit to land in the re-occupation of Greece was an RAF Regiment squadron which advanced from the Peloponnese to Patras and surprised the German garrison. This town, the third largest port in Greece, was liberated by the squadron along with a detachment of the Long Range Desert Group. Other squadrons landed shortly after, and due to the somewhat fluid situation tended to operate independently. There was some harassment of the German disengagement by the Greeks, but rival groupings of guerrillas were more interested in repaying old scores and trying to establish the post-war dominance of their particular brand of domestic politics. Three Regiment squadrons, plus a parachutist company of the Iraq Levies, deployed to the airfields at Araxos and Piraeus and when the Greek Communist organisation ELAS started attacks against British forces, squadrons of the RAF Regiment were actively involved with bitter street fighting and defence of the airfield at Hassani. I mentioned that the initial force included a company of the Iraq Levies. These had come up from Habbaniya, had been trained as parachutists, and were expecting to go into Greece by air. When they went in by sea there was nearly a mutiny. Significantly, the company was composed of both Kurds and Assyrians. After they had landed in Greece it was the first occasion since Alexander the Great that Kurds had fought in Europe: something you, as an Historical Society, will appreciate

So, SAS, rather than RAF Regiment.

Even II Sqn could just do P company with the army.
That would cut the need for RAF pre para, would end the are they/aren’t they real para debate………..and would really annoy the paras
II Sqn originally did P Company back in the sixties. From wiki:

In July 1962 II (Field) Squadron moved to RAF Colerne in Wiltshire as part of 38 Group and adopted a parachute capability. Thirteen men volunteered for parachute duties and the selection on ‘P’ Company run by the Parachute Regiment. To increase the number of men passing ‘P’ Company, a Pre-Parachute Selection Course was introduced successful completion of this course replaced the need to send men to ‘P’ Company. Upon successful completion of the selection, the men attended No.1 PTS at RAF Abingdon.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Are you talking replacement of Wigston? If so, and I'm happy to acknowledge that I've been out of the loop some time, but I don't recognise any of the characters you describe. Besides which, he assumed CAS from Hillier in mid-19 if memory serves me correctly, and so has at least another year to run, possibly longer as he is not old for a Service Chief (he was 50 or 51 when he became CAS).

The only female former flyer whom, as you so succinctly put it is 'of mixed race heritage' (WTF???) is Air Cdre (soon to be AVM) Suraya Marshall, whose partner is AVM (likely soon to be a 3*) Alan Marshall.

Your son has (IMHO) been feeding you inaccuracies and inconsistencies, methinks.
Jesus H Christ, patent leather shoes?

Latest Threads