Does the RAF regiment have a future?

Hence "wherever there's a secure perimeter within which to operate"

You may wish to retrace your steps . . . . .
Try again : RAF police man the perimeter gates, patrol the boundary fence, maintain discipline within the base, and have an int & sy function.
RAF regiment secure the base, including areas outside the perimeter.
It's a simple enough distinction.

Try again : RAF police man the perimeter gates, patrol the boundary fence, maintain discipline within the base, and have an int & sy function.
RAF regiment secure the base, including areas outside the perimeter.
It's a simple enough distinction.
Well spotted.

Now be a good lad and rewind to the post which prompted my response.

When you get there, engage brain.

Thx.

Kefi

War Hero
And do

And don’t forget that their light armoured sqns were disbanded pretty soon after that - another big timing pointless and short lived RAF Regiment failed attempt at pretending to be just like proper soldiers.

I note you don't mention the members of the RAF Regt who were in the vanguard of the advance. I'm sure with your deep knowledge & understanding of the Regt you know the Chemical recce teams maned by Officers, NCO's & Gnrs from the RAF Regt were the eyes & ears for the British Army following on behind ?

Slime

LE
I note you don't mention the members of the RAF Regt who were in the vanguard of the advance. I'm sure with your deep knowledge & understanding of the Regt you know the Chemical recce teams maned by Officers, NCO's & Gnrs from the RAF Regt were the eyes & ears for the British Army following on behind ?
You tell 'em champ.
I think you've left long enough for everyone to have forgotten your reverso-cycle about the II Sqn demo drop, and can now try to champion another issue that has absolutely nothing with the post you were replying to about the light armour the regt used to have.

Keep up the good work, and don't forget your 'emergency' get out clause of saying something isn't true as you haven't seen it!!!!

On the subject of things not being true if YOU haven't seen them, what are your views of dinosaurs and what colour they used to be?

Last edited:

Slime

LE
As the resident RAF regiment apologist on this army themed website has brought up the rocks being the CRBN champs, as though that is a brilliant thing, please don’t rush to ask if it’s still a role they have.

On the subject of thibgs not being true if YOU haven't seen them, what are your views of dinosaurs and what colour they used to be?
Careful you might have touched a nerve, he might just be a Free Presbyterian member of the DUP. I sh1t you not they insisted on a creationist information board at the Giant's Causeway.

Kefi

War Hero
As the resident RAF regiment apologist on this army themed website has brought up the rocks being the CRBN champs, as though that is a brilliant thing, please don’t rush to ask if it’s still a role they have.

Is it not news worthy that since it was others who brought up the Regt's part in the gulf war I pointed out it was members of the RAF Regt leading the way, with the British Army following behind?

Will we see the venerable @Slime follow the now army owned CBRN & denigrate its work. The irony meter is strong on this one you dribbling little scoundrel :rolleyes:

Slime

LE
Is it not news worthy that since it was others who brought up the Regt's part in the gulf war I pointed out it was members of the RAF Regt leading the way, with the British Army following behind?

Will we see the venerable @Slime follow the now army owned CBRN & denigrate its work. The irony meter is strong on this one you dribbling little scoundrel :rolleyes:

Yes, I’m aware you brought up another made up story.

I, like others here will be aware of just how many U.K. army troops were in theatre, and just how far spread out they were (in amongst other NATO forces, as you already knew), and in how many locations……………

And just how tiny the CRBN force was, and how it could only be in a few places at once.

But, as all you all clinging to with your story are non combatant forces BEHIND the various air forces, Behind UK and other recce forces and behind various SF……………

You tell ’em champ, after all, who needed the armour, artillery and air forces from multiple nations when there was a slack handful of non combat rocks in Fuchs to save the day ;)

Edit.
Look on the bright side champ, no one will point out that there were very literally thousands of U.K. forces that didn’t have the rock CRBN gang anywhere near them, all those pool souls had was up to date NBC training and kit, up to date NBC detection gear (you would already know all units held this) and lots and lots of NBC instructors amongst their ranks.
No, no one at all will point that out :)
No one will mention the title of the thread, or the relevance of something the rocks no longer have in relation to the thread title ;)

Slime

LE
So, back to the thread title.
If we ignore Kefi and his claims of fame from yesteryear, praise for an unopposed demo parachute drop or kit the rocks no longer have………

IMHO the rocks don’t have anything like the kit to defend against or repulse a modern peer adversary.

Airfields, dispersed or FARPs would need defending in time of war. What suggestions for kit or equipment would any defenders need?

QRK2

LE
You tell ’em champ, after all, who needed the armour, artillery and air forces from multiple nations when there was a slack handful of non combat rocks in Fuchs to save the day ;)

IIRC Fuchs was TA/Yeomanry, the Rocks were more Landrover and lorry.

Slime

LE
IIRC Fuchs was TA/Yeomanry, the Rocks were more Landrover and lorry.

I was being cheeky :)

But my later post about what kit any airfield defender would need ‘now’ against a peer adversary might bring us back to the thread title.

We can discount nuclear deterrent, but simply dealing with peer ground or air forces (with the attackers having airfield destruction in mind) is completely beyond the rocks at the moment imho.

The defence still needs to be made, so feel free to add a wish list for kit :)

Don’t worry about paying for it, just plant some magic money trees outside the peri track ;)

QRK2

LE
We can discount nuclear deterrent, but simply dealing with peer ground or air forces (with the attackers having airfield destruction in mind) is completely beyond the rocks at the moment imho.

Not having the personnel, training or equipment to deal with peers in their traditional and core role, at least they are aping the Army in some respects then.

Slime

LE
Not having the personnel, training or equipment to deal with peers in their traditional role, at least they are aping the Army in some respects then.

Definitely.
The army wouldn’t have the kit either, but then they aren’t charged with airfield defence.

Even looking back to the cold war days where Soviet ground forces could have attacked airfields I think the defenders would have been over run in the U.K.
Unlike RAF testing teams, or reg/TA SF, the Soviets could have used much more force to get onto the airfield.

There is also the bizarre thing that back in the cold war, the nearest Spetsnaz operating base to where I’m typing would have had around 200-250 troops operating from it, and that was pretty bad. Right now there are 90,000 Russians in the U.k., even if just 0.5% of those were unfriendly that’s quite a lot to deal with.
It’s pretty likely there is still an excellent sleeper system within the country, aided massively by the ease of modern tourism.

It seems the rocks lack adequate air defence, whether it be anti drone, short, medium or long range.
Any ground attacker worth their salt will have decent kit, and even something as simple as a mortar fired from the back of a truck cause cause major issues if their was no battery fire location gear.

Then there s the numbers game. It takes an awful lot of bodies to secure the area either end of the main runway(s), and as each new man portable weapon comes along with longer range, this just increases the numbers needed.

Just a starter two penneth :)

Definitely.
The army wouldn’t have the kit either, but then they aren’t charged with airfield defence.

Even looking back to the cold war days where Soviet ground forces could have attacked airfields I think the defenders would have been over run in the U.K.
Unlike RAF testing teams, or reg/TA SF, the Soviets could have used much more force to get onto the airfield.

There is also the bizarre thing that back in the cold war, the nearest Spetsnaz operating base to where I’m typing would have had around 200-250 troops operating from it, and that was pretty bad. Right now there are 90,000 Russians in the U.k., even if just 0.5% of those were unfriendly that’s quite a lot to deal with.
It’s pretty likely there is still an excellent sleeper system within the country, aided massively by the ease of modern tourism.

It seems the rocks lack adequate air defence, whether it be anti drone, short, medium or long range.
Any ground attacker worth their salt will have decent kit, and even something as simple as a mortar fired from the back of a truck cause cause major issues if their was no battery fire location gear.

Then there s the numbers game. It takes an awful lot of bodies to secure the area either end of the main runway(s), and as each new man portable weapon comes along with longer range, this just increases the numbers needed.

Just a starter two penneth :)
For a real life example, the attack on Akrotiri in the 80s included mortars, RPGs and MGs as well as small arms.

Slime

LE
For a real life example, the attack on Akrotiri in the 80s included mortars, RPGs and MGs as well as small arms.

More recent examples to consider were the drone (yes, I know that word really winds people up) attacks using Turkish supplied UAV/RPAS.

Just think of a group of baddies who decided to wipe out the air force of The peoples republic of Anglesey :)
That could feature drones launch from the water (obviously), or from a neighbouring unfriendly power (like the SNP).
simply having a deterrence based on land based mobile troops just wouldn’t cut the mustard.

The above seems like it was only missing a reference to ’the Fantasians’ :)

Now we are out of the cold war, we also have to realise we need extra bods to even allow the airfield defenders to get to the airfield.
Its no good pretending ‘someone‘ hasnt been noting car ref numbers and looking up home addresses, or tracking social media.

The recent-ish trend for Ukrainian troops to be sent texts with photos of their home address, or a pic of their kids on the way to school shows the Russians are well versed in knowing exactly who their opponents are.

Forgot to add.
Your mortar reference was a good one :)
But, there is a big difference between coming under mortar fire from the likes of PIRA/Hamas/PLO and that of a well drilled SF mortar section.

More recent examples to consider were the drone (yes, I know that word really winds people up) attacks using Turkish supplied UAV/RPAS.

Just think of a group of baddies who decided to wipe out the air force of The peoples republic of Anglesey :)
That could feature drones launch from the water (obviously), or from a neighbouring unfriendly power (like the SNP).
simply having a deterrence based on land based mobile troops just wouldn’t cut the mustard.

The above seems like it was only missing a reference to ’the Fantasians’ :)

Now we are out of the cold war, we also have to realise we need extra bods to even allow the airfield defenders to get to the airfield.
Its no good pretending ‘someone‘ hasnt been noting car ref numbers and looking up home addresses, or tracking social media.

The recent-ish trend for Ukrainian troops to be sent texts with photos of their home address, or a pic of their kids on the way to school shows the Russians are well versed in knowing exactly who their opponents are.

Forgot to add.
Your mortar reference was a good one :)
But, there is a big difference between coming under mortar fire from the likes of PIRA/Hamas/PLO and that of a well drilled SF mortar section.
Not really, if you're busy avoiding mortar bombs and shrapnel, you're unable to do much about it.

Was this the occassion when a Station Commanders Cup cricket match was abandoned?

The score book, apparently, read....Match abandoned, incoming mortar fire.

QRK2

LE

A less recent phenomenon that you might think. Similar happened to some UK troops by factions in FRY in the early 90s, though in person rather than by text. Blueies need disposing of carefully.

Latest Threads