Does the new DIN allow us to criticise the MOD Press Dept?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by msr, Aug 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Morning msr,

Have a look at the caption under the second picture (the one with the matelots). MDHU is Ministry of Defence Hospital Unit.

HS12

3. As I see it if one were to, hypothetically, point out that the MoD press department are a work shy, ignorant shower of b@stards then that shouldn't be a problem.

4. msr

msr LE

Good point, well presented.

I saw the article on Modoracle.com, which doesn't have that caption...

msr

5. "As I see it if one were to, hypothetically, point out that the MoD press department are a work shy, ignorant shower of b@stards then that shouldn't be a problem."

Slightly harsh, they do work and also most of them in MB have to stag on to give 24/7 coverage. The problem is that the sort of person who goes into public sector PR isn't necessarily the sectors 'best & brightest'. Perhaps we need to look at recruitment to try and get a better class of PR?

6. embedded PR for the win!

7. Perhaps, hypothetically, you can only slag off the press department if you can read.

8. ...............perhaps we should offer £130K salaries to attract some quality external candidates to head up the team.

Incidentally, Jim, you may not have noticed, but news coverage, be it in the public or private sectors, generally dictates a 24/7 schedule - and just in case you raise the holy grail of civil servants poor salaries let me remind you that most reporters, certainly in the provincial press, are on a damn sight less.

PAW

9. They're still rubbish at what they do. If we got it right, the press channels could be flooded with tales of derring do, charity work and all round spiffing, top notch good shows from our chaps here and abroad. Instead they spend too much time making up excuses for Des Wetpants and his dribbling ministers.

10. PAW and Jim30: that is missing the point. The MoD doesn't need "the best and the brightest" PR people. In fact it needs the opposite.

Instead of liars, bullshitters and coke snorting cúnts with ponytails who are adept at selling soap powder to the morons who watch 'Eastenders', the MoD needs people with integrity and the ability to tell the truth without any 'spin'. They need to be able to give the true picture very quickly and to rebutt lies and propaganda peddled by HM enemies. They also need to become much more proactive at propagating the true series of events rather than being extremely reactive and behind the curve.

How many people on this site view the responses given by the current crop of MoD press officers with anything other than contempt? When asked any question they only trot out that which makes the current (part time) minister look good, nearly always failing to answer the question. Thus they have lost any credibility, and as such contribute enormously to the redicule in which Main Building and its apparatchiks are held.

But then Liarbour has politicised the Civil Service, and integrity is not something that Bliar, Broon or Broone recognise (except as a weakness).

11. Dread,

My salary comment was rather a poor attempt at flippancy.

PAW

12. "Incidentally, Jim, you may not have noticed, but news coverage, be it in the public or private sectors, generally dictates a 24/7 schedule - and just in case you raise the holy grail of civil servants poor salaries let me remind you that most reporters, certainly in the provincial press, are on a damn sight less."

Agree - I know its 24/7 but the comment was aimed at those who think the PR people are work shy. I'd suggest they need to improve a great deal, but at least they're prepared to work some pretty shite hours. The same can't be said for everyone.