Does the Gurkha have a future in HMF?

Discussion in 'Gurkhas' started by Steven, Jan 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So now that Nepal is set on no longer being a monarchy and will become a "democratic federal republic" and is in serious danger of becoming a "Maoist Peoples Repblic" what future for the Gurkha in the British army?

Can a citizen of a communist country serve in HMF?

Interesting times ahead it seems.
  2. I very much doubt the Maoists will get in to power, and turn the country into a Communist state.

There power is mainly in the rural villages, where as most people are moving to the cities.

I'll have to cast about abit, but I am sure the Maoests had their back broken a year or so back.

Most Nepalese, regard the Maoists as not a serious contender for power.
  3. Well as it was the Maoists who insisted on the removal of the Monarchy before they would have a ceasefire and rejoin the government I would say they seem to be a" serious contender for power" at the moment.

I am of course only going from media reports and have no first hand knowledge.
  4. The Maoists have p1ssed a lot of people off up in the hills.

Bear in mind that Nepal was on the way to being very similar to our set up, with a King as a head, and a government underneath to run the country.

That was until Dippy Dipendra alledgedly went on the rampage, and Gyanendra established some pretty draconian laws. Gyanendra hasn't really been a popular King. Unless it has changed, I was under the impression the Royal family will still be present, just zero powers. As for the handful of "ex Maoist" ministers. They were mostly in some sort of power at one point anyway, and it is only like Gerry Adams entering the Houses of Parliment.
  5. Ok so it will probably not happen this year then.

Still IF it did (there is a non zero chance that it might in the next 5 years or so) I wonder what would happen to those serving?

A whole regiment asking for political asylum?
  6. I don't think they have to mate. Don't they have the right to settle now?
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Nepal has already had a Communist government (Asia's first democratically elected Communist government) when the Communist Party of Nepal - United Marxist Leninist (CPN-UML) won elections in 1994.

Nepal has had several Communist parties, CPN-UML and CPN-ML (splitters!) being among the largest, but only CPN-(Maoist) has resorted to violence. Under the CPN-UML government business seemed to carry on as normal as far as British Gurkhas (and Indian ones for that matter) were concerned. Realpolitik usually trumps ideology in these matters.
  8. I wonder though that now they are no longer a monarchy will we still recruit from Nepal as Nepalise politicians can stop and start it whenever they are voted in or out of power. Will the British army rely on foreign politicians?
  9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

There was no monarchy in Nepal between 1846 and 1955. During that period Gurkha recruitment went from strength to strength.
  10. It would bring a tear to your eye if you turned your back on all those Gurkha wage packets coming in to your country every month!!!!

Not to mention how to deal with the problem that the Singapore Police Force also recruit Gurkhas (in a system that runs parrelell to the British Gurkhas) and of course the Indian Gurkhas.

Nepal knows which side it's bread is buttered on, and it isn't the side that includes their people staying at home on subsistance farms. They have "exported" labour for generations, not just to the Gurkhas, but to many countries, esp in the Middle East.
  11. What will do for the brigade of gurkhas is when the savings that used to be made on them by the MOD on pensions etc become even more marginal and some grey suit presents the cutting of the brigade as"more money to invest on UK soldiers".

Clicky clicky
    the new Pensions TACOS was always going to be a double edged sword

The Brigade has marginal recruiting costs and high retention rates through training and subsequent service. It doesn't come up with great expensive schemes like OAR.

As they now have the right to remain, money spent on them gets recycled back into the UK economy. They are taxpayers who now stay on, earn and contribute. They pay for themselves many times over and are looking at the bottomline more efficient than the investment made in a british recruit, particularly if you look at RG's 10:3:1 conversion rate.
  12. I thought they have had a monarchy for over 250 year? Even if they didn't they have alway been friendly to the British, Now the commies hold some power are they going to be quite so friendly?