Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does The British Media Have an "Obama complex"?

redleg6

Old-Salt
Oil_Slick said:
redleg6 said:
Oil_Slick said:
I like him and would happily vote for him if we had the choice.

He will be one of Americas greater Presidents and will win a second term.

Mate, you are clueless...what is your source of info? Obama is a one-term president. He makes Jimmy Carter look competent.

you are lost on this one.

Oil Slick:

You are clueless...you need to visit the USA, or speak with a Yank and then you will get a feel for reality. Obama is a figment of the media.

The UK and other Europeans love for Obama is more a contemp for his predecessor, not a genunine love for Obama. If they spent any time getting to know him, it would be a different story.

The media have sheltered Obama. They never reported he is a 2 pack a day smoker. They never dug into his background. They covered up his relationship with Rev Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers. They gave him a pass.

Other examples: The media never disclosed Obama went by the name Barry Sotero until his time in university. None ever investigated how, as the son of a single mum, how he could afford to attend exclusive, private schhols and how he managed to get into Harvard.

Oil Slick, you need to do some research...

Tommy

Old-Salt
Oil_Slick said:
redleg6 said:
Oil_Slick said:
I like him and would happily vote for him if we had the choice.

He will be one of Americas greater Presidents and will win a second term.

Mate, you are clueless...what is your source of info? Obama is a one-term president. He makes Jimmy Carter look competent.

you are lost on this one.

Oil Slick:

You are clueless...you need to visit the USA, or speak with a Yank and then you will get a feel for reality. Obama is a figment of the media.

The UK and other Europeans love for Obama is more a contemp for his predecessor, not a genunine love for Obama. If they spent any time getting to know him, it would be a different story.

The media have sheltered Obama. They never reported he is a 2 pack a day smoker. They never dug into his background. They covered up his relationship with Rev Jeremiah Wright and Bill Ayers. They gave him a pass.

Other examples: The media never disclosed Obama went by the name Barry Sotero until his time in university. None ever investigated how, as the son of a single mum, how he could afford to attend exclusive, private schhols and how he managed to get into Harvard.

Oil Slick, you need to do some research...

What utter partisan dissembling bollox.

I know you like to think you're being smart - whilst thinking that you're managing to hide your ignorance (albeit in plain view) in the words you write - but the truth is different.

Read this Who is Barak Obama? about how there exists whole swathes of the US where barely concealed racism and, in some cases, weapons'-grade fuckwittage have enveloped the place. These folks appear incapable of understanding even-handedness, and wouldn't feel comfortable without overt bias in their life.

Since when has smoking two packs of cigarettes a day been a bar to credible or worthy leadership? In this respect at least, Obama's a positive lightweight compared to Churchill. And if you didn't get it reported in your media over there - we did here, it's always been common knowledge that he's a bit of chainy when it comes to the ciggies. So what? What's your point?

If you're going to try and attempt a hatchet piece here, and come across on a prurience par with 'The National Enquirer', then at least have something of worth a four year old might give a toss about.

Only losers whine - and the Republicans lost, and lost big, so they whine big. I got used to that equation a long time ago - but to still be doing 8 months into his administration is piteous even for them. Get over it!!

Mind you, anyone who was in favour of the previous eight years of ingrained clusterfuck, which denoted President Gump's term in office, I guess has to find something to fill their day.

Tommy said:
about how there exists whole swathes of the US where barely concealed racism and, in some cases, weapons'-grade fuckwittage

And you accuse others of being partisan and superficial? Again, quite breathtaking, but I continue to forget, we are done here. Apologies.

redleg6

Old-Salt
Tommy said:
If it does, it's nowhere near as concerted as that of certain sectors of the US media and population, who have a completely biased and openly partisan dislike to him.

I found this article an eye-opener as to some of the more questionable American attitudes to Obama: Who is Barak Obama?

And then there's this wee head-scratcher, as the level of fuckwittage on display here is just stultifying. This next clip is of the 'Tea Bag Party' in Washington DC, on 12th Sept 2009 (yes, I know, over here, 'teabagging' means something completely different, which makes it all the more hilarious, but there you have it) - they are "protesting", if that's the correct description, about Obama's outrageous plan to try and extend meaningful healthcare to all Americans, as opposed to only those who can afford it - hold on to your tin hats lads, there are some real Jethros and Bennies on display here - it would be funny if it wasn't so tragically ill-informed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUPMjC9mq5Y&feature=player_embedded

You too, are completly clueless. I am amazed at the level of sheer ignorance of many Brits when it comes to knowing and understanting our international partners. I believe a certain generation have blind faith in the BBC. How one can gernalise about an entire nation is beyound me.

mac1

LE
redleg6 said:
I am amazed at the level of sheer ignorance of many Brits when it comes to knowing and understanting our international partners. I believe a certain generation have blind faith in the BBC. How one can gernalise about an entire nation is beyound me.

and these are the people that sneer at Americans for being ignorant :x

Bugsy

LE
redleg6 said:
You too, are completly clueless. I am amazed at the level of sheer ignorance of many Brits when it comes to knowing and understanting our international partners. I believe a certain generation have blind faith in the BBC. How one can gernalise about an entire nation is beyound me.
You sort of disqualify yourself from being taken seriously when you accuse folks of being "completly" clueless. I'm mildly surprised you didn't add a few more of the standard Septic default insults of "pinko", "faggot", "liberal" etc.

I believe you'll find that there's a certain amount of ignorance in just about every country in the world. The difference I've found in my dealings with folks is that Europeans tend to be able to more easily accept other nations' differing cultures and traditions, whereas Septics tend to be unable to understand why Europeans don't think that the Septic "way of life" is the best in the world. I know that's a bit of a "gernalisation", but understanding it shouldn't be "beyound" you, should it?

It's perhaps important to remember that the US is a vast country, in which it's possible to travel 3,000 miles or more and still encounter the same fairly homogeneous mix of culture and traditions. Covering the same distance in Europe takes you through hundreds of variations of cultures and traditions and at least a half-dozen different languages. So from that standpoint, the Septic mindset is understandable.

MsG

Bugsy said:
The difference I've found in my dealings with folks is that Europeans tend to be able to more easily accept other nations' differing cultures and traditions,

MsG

I realize you are enjoying sunnier climes on the continent, but can you clarify whether Brits are "Europeans?" I get mixed messages on these forums.

Bugsy

LE
jumpinjarhead said:
Bugsy said:
The difference I've found in my dealings with folks is that Europeans tend to be able to more easily accept other nations' differing cultures and traditions,

MsG

I realize you are enjoying sunnier climes on the continent, but can you clarify whether Brits are "Europeans?" I get mixed messages on these forums.
I can see how the various viewpoints on here could confuse you, JJ. The fact of the matter is that the UK is part of Europe, thus making the Brits nominally Europeans. It's their history of Empire that tends to get in the way a bit here, though. :D

MsG

redleg6 said:
They never reported he is a 2 pack a day smoker.

OH TEH NOES!!!!!!

Obama likes a smoke!

Goddammit, he's just another Marlboro Man!

mac1

LE
Bugsy said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Bugsy said:

MsG

I can see how the various viewpoints on here could confuse you, JJ. The fact of the matter is that the UK is part of Europe, thus making the Brits nominally Europeans. It's their history of Empire that tends to get in the way a bit here, though. :D

MsG
and our values, independence, autonomy, identity, state of our economy, way of life...

mac1 said:
Bugsy said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Bugsy said:

MsG

MsG
and our values, independence, autonomy, identity, state of our economy, way of life...

I had surmised pretty much all that and that makes it even more curious when I note the many posters on here from the UK who rail against we Americans due to our "values, independence, autonomy, identity, state of our economy, way of life..." As you Brits are so fond of saying, "Funny that." :lol:

mac1

LE
jumpinjarhead said:
I had surmised pretty much all that and that makes it even more curious when I note the many posters on here from the UK who rail against we Americans due to our "values, independence, autonomy, identity, state of our economy, way of life..." As you Brits are so fond of saying, "Funny that." :lol:

yes, and the paradox applies elsewhere: a lot of "great Europeans" when it comes to Britain, are all to quick to stand up for independence etc for anyone else, which can be further sub divided to Wales & Scotland, but if we English want those things, we're just xenophobic little Englanders living in the past.

mac1 said:
jumpinjarhead said:

yes, and the paradox applies elsewhere: a lot of "great Europeans" when it comes to Britain, are all to quick to stand up for independence etc for anyone else, which can be further sub divided to Wales & Scotland, but if we English want those things, we're just xenophobic little Englanders living in the past.

I think we are onto something here--there appears to be a common element--human nature! :D

Tommy

Old-Salt
redleg6 said:
Tommy said:
If it does, it's nowhere near as concerted as that of certain sectors of the US media and population, who have a completely biased and openly partisan dislike to him.

I found this article an eye-opener as to some of the more questionable American attitudes to Obama: Who is Barak Obama?

And then there's this wee head-scratcher, as the level of fuckwittage on display here is just stultifying. This next clip is of the 'Tea Bag Party' in Washington DC, on 12th Sept 2009 (yes, I know, over here, 'teabagging' means something completely different, which makes it all the more hilarious, but there you have it) - they are "protesting", if that's the correct description, about Obama's outrageous plan to try and extend meaningful healthcare to all Americans, as opposed to only those who can afford it - hold on to your tin hats lads, there are some real Jethros and Bennies on display here - it would be funny if it wasn't so tragically ill-informed:

On this evidence, it would appear many things are "beyond" you - and who was generalising?

If you'd bothered to read what I actually wrote above, you see that I was being very specific about the hicks on the DC Tea Bagging event on the YouTube clip I posted - and "not an entire nation".

Do try and keep up, there's a good chap. Having to do this remedial level work with you is holding up the rest of the class.

Tommy said:
If you'd bothered to read what I actually wrote above, you see that I was being very specific about the hicks on the DC Tea Bagging event on the YouTube clip I posted - and "not an entire nation".

Do try and keep up, there's a good chap. Having to do this remedial level work with you is holding up the rest of the class.

I suppose this is a bit of casting pearls of facts (yes a childish Biblical metaphor) but for the sake of the record, my wife and I, together with 3 large busloads of my neighbors were in attendance at the DC event and neither I, my wife nor our neighbors could reasonably be described as either hicks or a red necks as those terms are generally defined here in the US.

We were also neither organized nor funded by any external group but rather were an asemblage of "mere" citizens who share a concern about the direction our nation is heading. Believe it or not, there were registered democrats, republicans, libertarians and probably most like my wife and I, proud independents. The couple in front of us on the bus were African Americans, and several couples on our bus alone were of Hispanic descent.

Furthermore, I have 20/15 vision and I must confess I am puzzled by your characterization since I did not see even a predominance of such persons, although there were no doubt some present in a crowd of such size. That is why I wondered if you saw the same thing as to what the event was and who comprised the crowd, since I assume such since passionate certainty in your attack must be based on similar eye witness experience rather than merely some You Tube clips that, as many progressives are so quick to point out when posted by evil conservatives, are so inherently susceptible to manipulation and distortion.

Darn it--my feeble aged mind has forgotten yet again--we are finished here.

Tommy

Old-Salt
jumpinjarhead said:
Tommy said:

I suppose this is a bit of casting pearls of facts (yes a childish Biblical metaphor) but for the sake of the record, my wife and I, together with 3 large busloads of my neighbors were in attendance at the DC event and neither I, my wife nor our neighbors could reasonably be described as either hicks or a red necks as those terms are generally defined here in the US.

We were also neither organized nor funded by any external group but rather were an asemblage of "mere" citizens who share a concern about the direction our nation is heading. Believe it or not, there were registered democrats, republicans, libertarians and probably most like my wife and I, proud independents. The couple in front of us on the bus were African Americans, and several couples on our bus alone were of Hispanic descent.

Furthermore, I have 20/15 vision and I must confess I am puzzled by your characterization since I did not see even a predominance of such persons, although there were no doubt some present in a crowd of such size. That is why I wondered if you saw the same thing as to what the event was and who comprised the crowd, since I assume such since passionate certainty in your attack must be based on similar eye witness experience rather than merely some You Tube clips that, as many progressives are so quick to point out when posted by evil conservatives, are so inherently susceptible to manipulation and distortion.

Darn it--my feeble aged mind has forgotten yet again--we are finished here.

Let's just quickly reacquaint ourselves with the people with whom you now admit to having marched on this DC tea-bagging fest:

Not a cursive debate or rationale amongst them.

The fact that you marched with these hicks supports everything I've criticised you for in this thread, and others on US healthcare reform (in which you're also all out to sea).

But go ahead, pray regale us with more fantastical tales about how you want your country 'back', and objections to Obama on the grounds that he's a Muslim and has not birth certificate. :roll:

Let me know when you're done - I'll be over here listening to The Republican Concerto for Duelling Banjo in D#...

That is why I wondered if you saw the same thing as to what the event was and who comprised the crowd, since I assume such since passionate certainty in your attack must be based on similar eye witness experience rather than merely some You Tube clips that, as many progressives are so quick to point out when posted by evil conservatives, are so inherently susceptible to manipulation and distortion.

I think this may prove my point since you seem to keep ignoring it. After watching the following video, it is crystal clear since videos never lie that all British troops are a bunch of undisciplined clowns who obviously have nothing to do but play around. It is no wonder they ran from the fight in Basra and explains why the Iraqis and Yanks did not want any more "help" from the childish UK play soldiers and handled things themselves.

Video of undiscplined UK troops horsing around instead of fighting

I think we are done here..... :D

P.S. Apologies for having to make this point using gallant and professional UK forces for whom other posters will know I have the highest respect.

Woofer829

War Hero
jumpinjarhead said:
Bugsy said:

MsG

Geographically yes. :D

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Woofer829 said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Bugsy said:

MsG

Yep, we are the greatest and most petulent of Europeans, and the pearl of geoplastic surgeons.

rampant said:
Woofer829 said:
jumpinjarhead said:
Bugsy said:

MsG

Yep, we are the greatest and most petulent of Europeans, and the pearl of geoplastic surgeons.

Too funny--thanks guys-after the grim week I have had, this is refreshing!

Latest Threads