Does the Army give you Pilot lessons on the cheap even if you are not AAC?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by The Aviator, Jun 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does the Army offer pilot courses on the cheap for regular infantry soldiers?

I appreciate your help.

2. I thought you wanted to join the RAF? Perhaps it's time you decided what you want to do after some research.

3. So you think the Army (the cash strapped, making people redundant, sub-contracting everything out to save costs Army) is going to spend many, many thousands of pounds teaching you to fly for fun?

Really?

REALLY??

Unless you are going to be a pilot, forget it.

4. Mong

5. But you cand do a gliders licence pretty cheaply. After that you could use your ILCs and ELCs to offset teh cost of training.

6. So you're not going to join for reasons of duty, service or self-fulfillment? Just what you can get on the cheap? Tell you what, go away and have a think, then come back with a less insulting view of the services.

7. I got flying lessons for free. They didn't however involved flying the plane. I was told to jump out the door and hope my canopy opens then pilot that down to the ground.

8. No Dale. Do not type something nasty. Don't do it. Just don't.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I am researching and having a think about things. I don't particularly want to join infantry, I was just using it as an example.

I'd pay them obviously. Just wondered if you got a discount.

No need for that pal.

I went to University for a bit and didnt get round to it. I like the idea of engineering but I don't really have the skills for it if I'm honest mate.

Thanks for the info.

I've wanted to join for years it's my dream to find a purpose. I'm a little muddled as to what I should do so just having a think about things.

It looks like I won't be able to be a pilot and I was just enquiring if there's any chance down the road they offer you any discounts with that stuff. I can't even drive let alone fly yet lol.

10. It does.......................... pile it 'ere, pile it there................................

imagesCALWMLAY.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pity you are allowed to drive a keyboard along the digital information highway that is the internet.

• Like Like x 2
  12. If it makes you feel any better OP, I have an old flame who was a pilot before she left 6th form... Paid for herself, now she flys commercial wide bodies. She always wanted to do that (fcuk knows why).

You could just get a job, and do it that way. Pick a degree course that will help you, aeronautical engineering for example. OU do lots of short courses, such as 'understanding the weather'. I did that, and suddently my hikes got more 'interesting' for the people I inflict them on and my Sailing got a little better.

I would say join the Uni Air Sqn of the RAF, but if you are a genetic mutant and too tall for the bang seat and defective eyes I don't think they will let you glide. You could try on pprune.

You could join the ATC, they might give you a gliders licence. Build up from there.

13. As do most girls in the Army...

14. Girls in the Army? You're still dreaming.