Does Sudan, Somalia, or Ethiopia have any oil?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Aug 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Yes they do, and it will give AQ the chance to go toe-to-toe with the PRC. Should be interesting.

3. Somalia Exports - commodities. livestock, bananas, hides, fish, charcoal, scrap metal

Sudan Exports - commodities. oil and petroleum products; cotton, sesame, livestock

Ethiopia Exports - primarily agricultural products

Hmmm...not exactly regime change fodder, the carrot appears to be missing except of course amongst ethiopia's agricultural products perhaps?

4. Somalia- doesn't there need to be a regime before you can institute regime change?

5. The Sudan does have substantial oil reserves which has prompted China to invest heavily in the area. They are not a very tolerant regime, and I doubt they have any sympathy for AQ's cause. Should the Muj cause any trouble in the region, China would be more than happy to take them on, wether they are up to the job is another question.

6. China has 22 million Muslims and we never hear of any trouble from them...but then again would we get to hear of it??

7. Actually, I do have some small recollection of "tension" and the occasional misbehaving by the Muslim-majority provinces and the resulting crack downs by the Chinese authorities. The reason I am so vague is because (a) open source reporting is very much in the small print pages, (b) there is rarely any follow up to the original article and (c) getting any information from the Middle Kingdom is difficult at the best of times. One could open up a can of conspiracy and suggest that the rest of the world has little interest in provoking an emerging super power with whom we are busy doing business in a major way.
    On a slightly divergent thread, one might suggest that putting down any Muslim dissent is very much an internal matter....... much in the same way that nice Mr Putin's resolution of the Chechen affair has become an internal affair post 9/11.........

8. People should be starting to panic about what China is up to in Africa and other parts of the world - they are investing heavily into the most basket-case countries, building major infrastructure projects like roads and railways, often where there is no discernable economic benefit. Worryingly, they are now getting very pally (and presumably funding) with any African government who wants aid with no western strings attached. Sudan is a case in point. It can't be very long before the first "military aid" detachments and then military bases/ports start to appear around Africa - effectively trumping any further western/UN intervention or pressure on those countries.

9. The Chinese built highways in both Tibet and Nepal and examples of expansion of influence therough apparently altruistic investment (tell that to the Tibetans).

10. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I recall seeing on Newsnight a few weeks ago, that the PRC was getting heavily involved in Zim. This in itself does not appear to me to be "a good thing".

11. In answer to part of the original question, Sudan is certainly not short of oil. However, the SPLA (the predominantly Christian/African side) managed to lose most, if not all, of their share of it to Khartoum during their ‘civil war within a civil war’ (aka Emmas’s War; good book, soon to be a film).

12. They effectively now control the Panama canal, and if anybody is likely to infringe the Antarctic treaty regarding exploitation of mineral resources, it'll be China.
    We do indeed live in interesting times.