Does poor spelling piss you off?

westendboy

On ROPS
On ROPs
Just wandering around the jobcentre website and saw this pile of bollocks.

Poor spelling irritates me more than the ex wife.

I hate teenagers as well!

sunlight.JPG

Totaly hate bad speling,

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Indeed it does, particularly when spelt the yank way. However, normally when I see bad spelling on websites such as the BBC news webpages, I use their contact form to report it (as per their wishes). Did you contact the site owner to inform them of their mistakes?

Time to drag this one out again.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So the asnwer wuold hvae to be no. Bad spellnig deosn't bohetr me at all.

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
Spelling used to bother me, when I had little else to do with my time.

But then I realised my aspiration wasn't to become a blue-rinsed Daily Mail reader going about my life tutting at everyone and everything, whilst ferrying endless bags full of cat food tins for tiddles, back and forth to my damp and lonely bedsit during my twighlight days.

No - what really grips my shit in the world of written communication is when I get end of course reports for my new soldiers just posted in from Phase 2 establishments only to realise they have simply 'cut and paste' their name into the 'bog standard' appraisal - and not even bothered to check the sex of the soldier in the process.

At a forward up-tempo unit preparing for Ops I could maybe forgive - but in a trg establishment where the permanent staff have knack all to do all day except populate their 'hectic' Outlook calendars with golfing trips and charity bike rides (don't forget to CC the CO so he can see what a 'good egg' you are), whilst spending the rest of the time reflecting on why the field force has posted them away - it is pretty unforgiveable.

Just wandering around the jobcentre website and saw this pile of bollocks.

Poor spelling irritates me more than the ex wife.

I hate teenagers as well!

View attachment 132843
That your perusing unskilled want ads would be more of a concern.
Why not use your mahoosive noggin to upskill to Traffic Warden?

ugly

LE
Spelling used to bother me, when I had little else to do with my time.

But then I realised my aspiration wasn't to become a blue-rinsed Daily Mail reader going about my life tutting at everyone and everything, whilst ferrying endless bags full of cat food tins for tiddles, back and forth to my damp and lonely bedsit during my twighlight days.

No - what really grips my shit in the world of written communication is when I get end of course reports for my new soldiers just posted in from Phase 2 establishments only to realise they have simply 'cut and paste' their name into the 'bog standard' appraisal - and not even bothered to check the sex of the soldier in the process.

At a forward up-tempo unit preparing for Ops I could maybe forgive - but in a trg establsihment where the permanent staff have knack all to do all day except populate their 'hectic' Outlook calendars with golfing trips and charity bike rides (don't forget to CC the CO so he can see what a 'good egg' you are), whilst spending the rest of the time reflecting on why the field force has posted them away - it is pretty unforgiveable.
Or the head dobber OC at Brecon who managed to mix my report up and my name changed completely about halfway down the page. This was before mass use of computers so I reckon him and his clerk were just basic cunts!
Still got the promotion though although I suspect that was in spite of my report rather than because of it!

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Agree to a certain extent m'learned friend, but don't you also think spelling errors such as those shown are also indicative of laziness? I mean, how difficult is it to use spellcheck?

ugly

LE
The sex thing is also so very wrong, my youngest sprog Alexander would regularly get comments on his school report from heads of year/dept etc stating how well she has done this year. I mean there are about 1000 kids in a school so 200 in a year and 30 plus in a class yet no one ever checks?

Internet wibbling is different to proper writing, typos and failure minutely to proofread are not hanging offences. I have noticed that almost invariably, when some language fascist decides to have a go at someone else's spelling, punctuation etc, there's a howler in his post putting the other chap right.

The sex thing is also so very wrong, my youngest sprog Alexander would regularly get comments on his school report from heads of year/dept etc stating how well she has done this year. I mean there are about 1000 kids in a school so 200 in a year and 30 plus in a class yet no one ever checks?
I suggest you use 'gender' rather than 'sex' as that first sentence was ringing fuckin' alarm bells before I got to the end of it!!

Indeed it does, particularly when spelt the yank way.
I find it mildy annoying reading the medical words which they've butchered. They'll spell haemoglobin hemoglobin, but when needing to talk about haem on its own spell it heme. Their constant removal and addition of letters makes using shite search engines (or wikipedia) annoying. They also stuggle pronouncing the words correctly, using a soft 'c' sound in encephalitis instead of the hard 'k' sound, which of course spreads over here. EKG instead of ECG is just inexplicable. They use epinephrine due to a patent, yet all other terminology relating to the hormone is derived from adrenaline.

Why?

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
FrosteeMARIA said:
Agree to a certain extent m'learned friend, but don't you also think spelling errors such as those shown are also indicative of laziness? I mean, how difficult is it to use spellcheck?
I do. But it doesn't get me frothing as much as seeing at the beginning of the report:

"I have contact with this soldier daily"

Followed by the blatant ignorance to the fact that "He", "His" and "Him" are either early observations that the young lady is heading for a career in the RLC as a Corps Rugby player - or that the donut Capt writing the thing hasn't bothered his arse to dot the I's and cross the T's.

If anything, the little spelling mistakes I see on my own appraisal from time to time remind me that my boss is human and fucks up like everyone else.

My high school drama teacher told us a story of a previous school, where a student who had died half-way through the year nearly got sent a school report, only got spotted by the admin staff at the last moment.