Does one have to "leave" during leave?

Sphongle

Old-Salt
I live across the Irish Sea, Id rather just stay on base if I was allowed during leave. Is this acceptable? Even during training?

MARTOK

War Hero
I dont usually give advice on military matters especially to new recuits as its been so long since I was one and things have changed so much, however for what its worth here goes:

GET THE FCUK OUT OF CAMP

If you dont and are found in your pit when they are a man short for duty you will get collard.

I hardly ever went home on leave when I was single but I never stayed in camp, it used to be the done thing that during block leave if someone had nowhere to go they would go off with one of their mates and stay with them or are you all so preoccupied with your computer games etc that you dont speak to each other!!

Sphongle

Old-Salt
I dont usually give advice on military matters especially to new recuits as its been so long since I was one and things have changed so much, however for what its worth here goes:

GET THE FCUK OUT OF CAMP

If you dont and are found in your pit when they are a man short for duty you will get collard.

I hardly ever went home on leave when I was single but I never stayed in camp, it used to be the done thing that during block leave if someone had nowhere to go they would go off with one of their mates and stay with them or are you all so preoccupied with your computer games etc that you dont speak to each other!!
Ive got cousins in England but they are very very far away from where Ill be doing phase 1/2. Ive got no friends in England unfortunately. Ive only been there twice like. Sure ill see what happens when I get there haha

Sphongle

Old-Salt
Never pass-up the opportunity to GTF out of Dodge. Travel broadens the mind, even if all you do is spend your time in a B&B in Scarborough. Or Filey.
It might not be the best thing economically though. Is it that bad? Is it even possible for one to stay on camp?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I live across the Irish Sea, Id rather just stay on base if I was allowed during leave. Is this acceptable? Even during training?

Why wouldn't you want to come back to Ireland? You worried about the long weekend, spending it all travelling? I had that with IOM and so did some of the jocks.

Don't worry about the long weekend, happen one of the lads will invite you to his for a good pis s up and you'll be plenty ready for home by the end of training.

And if you're not, you'll have a few quid in your pocket for a bit of an adventure, won't you?

Not during training, but in the battalion you can do other blokes stags on the gate for cash if you can fix it with the grown ups.

If your issued doss bag, bivibag, hexi ect then you just need a tent to go on a little camping trip, a cheap leave option ?

If you fancy spending your free time with a petite, slender blonde, have a chat with The_Snail.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer

Sphongle

Old-Salt
You'll need to speak with the DS on the day, but I suspect that you'll be expected to be elsewhere, as you'd remain an admin burden otherwise.
Yea thats what I suspected, sure we will have to see wont we?
Train to London. Union Jack club. See the sights. Job Jobbed.

Seen London, would not mind going back to the Imperial War Museum.
Why wouldn't you want to come back to Ireland? You worried about the long weekend, spending it all travelling? I had that with IOM and so did some of the jocks.

Don't worry about the long weekend, happen one of the lads will invite you to his for a good pis s up and you'll be plenty ready for home by the end of training.

And if you're not, you'll have a few quid in your pocket for a bit of an adventure, won't you?
Oh I plan on going back but everytime I get leave is a bit excessive.

Book a cheap flight somewhere and stay in a backpackers hostel. Only reason to say on camp during leave is if you have a chick living local I guess, otherwise, wtf!

Sphongle

Old-Salt
Book a cheap flight somewhere and stay in a backpackers hostel. Only reason to say on camp during leave is if you have a chick living local I guess, otherwise, wtf!
I just taught maybe I could spend my time studying or something, maybe exercising. I suppose I could travel England or Wales or something. Might all change when I get there

Sphongle

Old-Salt
If you fancy spending your free time with a petite, slender blonde, have a chat with The_Snail.
The last time I was with something called "The Snail" I was covered in a fine, slimy substance... never again

I just taught maybe I could spend my time studying or something, maybe exercising. I suppose I could travel England or Wales or something. Might all change when I get there

Studying and stuff in your free time whilst in the army is great - thats the attitude that got me where I am today - hold that thought and sign up for an OU degree when you get to your first unit (probs leave 6/12 months to settle in). The lads will be puzzled, but generally be supportive. But dedicating your whole leave to studying? No. Or study in a backpackers in Hostel in Germany, Serbia, Bosnia etc.

I wish I was in your situation! it would be cheap flight to some tacky european destination and dig my own grave with my groin muscle,

A couple of the lads from NI and the republic used to stay back. One would go on the lash and the other would stay in his room faffing about...until he got dicked for duties.

Go out on the lash or just go sight seeing. Don't hang around camp.

Latest Threads