Does fighting in stan keep terror away from UK?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by The_Civil_Civilian, Aug 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's what was said by Eamonn Holmes this morning and others when talking about Gordos trip to Stan. It was said a few times that 'The current war in Afghanistan is helping keep terorism away from Britains streets'.

How?

2. Has Mr Holmes forgotten the Tube/Bus bombs in London?

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I may be missing something but how are they related?

4. Quick answer is no, and anyone that believes it does is simply living life in a crack induced state.

5. Maybe he was thinking that all the baddies would gather in one place. However what about those who want the benefits of living in a civilised western world, where they have sanitation, probably have good jobs, watch TV etc. Then make bombs to kill innocent civilians in their host nation.

6. Well, at least the long delays on flights from Kabul to Brize via Akrotiri keeps the Taleban from booking......

Gone .......................................

in a taxi, with my hat and coat

7. Would the Tipton Taliban and co be on the offensive here if they weren't over there? There is plenty of evidence that British muslims are fighting out there. If they stayed here would they just quietly get on with driving their taxis?

8. Interesting. Maybe the solution to Northern Ireland would have been to invade spain, that way all the Catholic lot would have been too busy fighting in Spain to plant bombs in Belfast.

Fiendish :roll:

9. The biggest threat to the UK at the moment is from so called "home-grown" terrorists anyway - not Terry sitting out in the Stan.

British Muslims - I fecking hate that term. :x

10. They didn't go help the Argies :eek:

11. I thought the ball had been rolling long before any invasions (planning, preperation and the setting up of cells etc).
    I'll keep on looking for where I read that.

What has our government done to Chechnya?
    IMO there will be Islamic terrrorist attacks regardless of what our country does, although Iraq seems to have been a catalyst.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Wasting money and lives out there maintaining an operationally experienced army. Its not worth the cost! Bomb it back to the stone age (that should take 2 secs) or leave and seal the borders by paying some other mug to do it!

13. There are enough loons terrorising our streets without the Afghan and Iraqis chipping in as well.

14. Where's 'stan? Is that a bit like 'nam?

15. argh! damn, sorry EX_STAB, looks like that theory's out the window.