does being left handed mean anything?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Watson, Aug 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is a really daft question but id rather be the idiot that asks i guess, and i have searched this on the forum but couldnt find a specific answer.

anyway

I am right handed but my right eye is toss, always has been. Because my left eye is dominant i have to shoot from the left shoulder, will this effect me much in the TA as i hear there are a lot of problems for lefties with the sa80. i remember when i held a replica i found it hard to do anything like change mag or put it in safe.

Cheers

2. Yes there are some problems, such as it can't be fired in the left shoulder full stop.

3. Learn to shoot with both eyes open

4. You'll learn to do it right-handed like everyone else. If you try to fire it left-handed the cocking handle will rearrange your teeth for you.

5. I'm a left hander, and I spent years as a kid running round with the butt of my weapon (stick) in my left shoulder. I joined the army and got given the good news, and it felt weird for a bit but you just learn to deal with it.

You say your left eye is 'dominant' - are you describing a lazy eye perchance? If so it can be treated. I'm not sure how feasible it would be to lean over onto the weapon and use your left eye, but it may be achievable with a bit of practice. (Having said all this, you may not get in if you fail the eye test, but I stand to be corrected on that too, as always. ;) )

6. I'm a lefty - it's awkward at first, but practice, practice and practice some more the drills and skill's, after a while you do get used to it .

I failed my first APWT (I'd never failed with the SLR), I got a bit of extra tuition (with lots of practice) and never failed again.

As Fallschirmjager says - you can't fire it from the left shoulder full stop.

7. Forgot to mention - it can't be that hard, I got Top Shot Award in phase one. All in the mind ;)

8. im sure there are disability benifits that left handers can claim! try asking at your local dhss offices or special needs centres!

9. Do we not burn Lefthanded Sinister type as Witches anymore?

10. You have a lazy eye - Don't worry your instructors will see to that and get the rotund little bone idle cnut working in no time.

11. Being left handed means that you have to support Everton, convert to catholic, and dance a mean Fandango.

Or is that left footing? I get confused and think I have been stung by a wasp.

12. This is what happens when leftys don't have their left hand hit hard with a hammer every time they try to use it during early school years.

13. Wasps are weak. Not like those Bee's. Do you reckon Bee's get promised 72 Virgins if they sting someone?

14. Does being left handed mean anything? Usually it means you're not a 'right' w4nker, but this thread suggests otherwise!

15. Bee's are proper wrong. Who do they belong to anyway? Now Bracknell Bees are good. Todd Kelman mmmm, you just would. Even though he plays for Belfast Buggerers now.