Does Aurora exist?

Ritch

LE
"A month later, radio enthusiasts in California monitoring Edwards AFB Radar (callsign "Joshua Control") heard early morning radio transmissions between Joshua and a high flying aircraft using the callsign "Gaspipe".

“ You're at 67,000 ft, 81 miles out" was heard, followed by "seventy miles out now, 36,000 ft, above glideslope. ”

"that the intercepted radio transmissions were probably a prank on the part of Edwards security personnel."

Ram or scram jets cycling at high speeds and high frequencies might not be expected to produce a doughnut trail but some super efficient scram jets are designed to use cryo fuels, cooled before it's squirted into the combustion chamber, in order to cool it more fuel is used, usually hydrogen. The problem is that the fuel used as coolant is too much to burn in the scram jet, dumping into the atmosphere at supersonic speeds will spark it up anyway giving you the aeronatical equivalent of the dance of the flaming *********, the solution is you burn it in one or more separate and less efficient ramjets. Rope from the scramjet, doughnuts from the coolant is a possibility.

Ram or scram jets cycling at high speeds and high frequencies might not be expected to produce a doughnut trail but some super efficient scram jets are designed to use cryo fuels, cooled before it's squirted into the combustion chamber, in order to cool it more fuel is used, usually hydrogen. The problem is that the fuel used as coolant is too much to burn in the scram jet, dumping into the atmosphere at supersonic speeds will spark it up anyway giving you the aeronatical equivalent of the dance of the flaming *********, the solution is you burn it in one or more separate and less efficient ramjets. Rope from the scramjet, doughnuts from the coolant is a possibility.

What's the point in being super efficient if you then dump fuel overboard where it provides no thrust? I still don't know where the idea of scramjets 'cycling' comes from either. Air goes in the front, is compressed by weak (not normal) shocks, is combusted whilst still supersonic, and is squirted out the back via an expansion fan into a divergent nozzle. There may be some flow instability, but I don't think they 'cycle' by design?

Forget fans, forget moving parts, scram jets don't need them and they wouldn't last in that environment. Cryo scram jets are apparently so efficient that you can afford to throw fuel away, that did my head in also but apparently the figures balance.

Forget fans, forget moving parts, scram jets don't need them and they wouldn't last in that environment. Cryo scram jets are apparently so efficient that you can afford to throw fuel away, that did my head in also but apparently the figures balance.

An expansion fan is an aerodynamic term meaning 'the opposite of a shockwave' :) As such it's an area where the flow velocity and mach number go up, while temperature, density and static pressure drop.

Edited to add, you still havn't answered about the 'cycling' business? And on cryo scramjets using the fuel to cool..... what I think you are trying to explain is the principle of regeneratively cooled nozzles on rocket engines, where the fuel (LH2) is used to cool the metalwork to stop it melting? The fuel is already 'cryo', you don't need to cool it any more before combustion.

The ramjet was quite popular for missiles in the '50s - Bloodhound had ramjet sustainers ...
...and the 70's
cf Sea Dart

I can attest to having seen what appears to be a pulse jet signature at night Way out West, travelling North South. Looked like a series of dashes in the sky at very high altitude. Usually seen in winter, as are the occasional sonic booms although there have been a couple heard this summer.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The only thing I don't understand is the doughtnuts-on-a-rope thing. If Aurora has scramjets, then it would produce continual contrails, the doughtnuts suggest a pulsed ramjet doohicky somewhat like the doodlebug. I wish the tinfoilers would make up their minds!

Having said that, all of the technology for Aurora exists. Materials science, engine technology, all manner of things have been around for years and myself I'd be more surprised if something along these lines didn't exist.

To me it sounds more like the noise that Londoners described as the V-2 rocket. I believe it made a pulsing sound when it flew over.

To me it sounds more like the noise that Londoners described as the V-2 rocket. I believe it made a pulsing sound when it flew over.

Nope, V1. V2 was supersonic at impact.

As PE4 says, the doodlebug was the one Londoners heard - although they couldn't hear the individual pulsing which happened at around 50 Hz (or 3,000 rpm in old money). What they heard was the distinctive buzzing noise this pulsing made, hence the nickname 'buzz bomb'.

As for the doughnuts on a rope, they are many hundreds of metres apart implying either that it's a pulsed ramjet running at a lower pulse rate, or that 'Aurora' flies at many km/s. I'd rather think that the doughnuts aren't doughnuts, I've seen the effect myself many times on normal contrails and they're much more likely to be formed by upper level winds or regular aerodynamic disturbances on the aircraft (like dutch roll, or the pitch trim of the autopilot hunting) causing regular disturbances in the wake.

'Normal' ram/scramjets don't pulse like this.

Wasn't there some sort of incident at Boscombe Down with a USAF plane that resulted in special forces deploying there to guard it?

It has been revisited in the Drive 27 years later ....maybe wait another 3 and be 30th anniversary.

And nothings changed , though several professionals who were at BD said it was one of two things or both:

1) It was one Of the &AEE Tornado with sensitive piece of US avionic kit Hence one of the voices in cockpit was American who called out e,regency.

2) The C-5A/B arrived to take Rotary Wing Test Squadron Sea King for trials in USA.

Still there are a lot of two plus two equals four point eight nine.

Anyhow in saying that I think there was something classified lofting off and lots of smoke and mirrors thereafter.

Any thoughts ?
cheers

Latest Threads