Does ARRSE have too many forums

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by meridian, Oct 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Would be interested to hear others views of this, its a difficult dilemma of creating enough differentiation between posts to cater for everyone but I think there are too mant forums now, its makes things very difficult to keep track of and since the new design the latest forum posts has shrunk a bit I find it a little (only a little mind you) useable.

Would a bit of consolidation be appropriate?

2. I think this subject should have its own forum. :wink:

3. Surely it's a matter of supply and demand. If a forum is not used then bin it.

4. There seems to be an ever-increasing number, which can be a bit perplexing. I recently noticed that a LAW forum had been started, but there seemed to be little or no mention of portable anti-armour systems. Instead it was full (all five threads) of people discussing legal issues (and I don't mean heirs).

5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

It is an interesting point - which ones do you think should go? Picking on Law might be a little unfair as it is a relative newcomer .....

6. Whatever gave you that idea?
    It wouldn't have been ME, would it?

My post on another thread (about 10 minutes earlier)

I recall the format of the Forum Index used to be a much more compressed table, which was easy to scan at a glance.

7. And quite right too, that should be in the hairdressing forum!

8. This was mentioned somewhat when ARRSE got changed last last time.

It was something I was going start to look into when I did some work on the arrse deleopment but unfortunetly time ran away from me.

I have often wondered that some of the forums could be absorbed into other areas

9. meridian

Bovvy, yes you echoed exactly what I had been thinking for a while :D

10. Does anyone have a "snapshot" (or whatever they call it?) of the OLD Forum Index, that they can post on here?

I'm not sure how helpful the categories .... i.e. "Serious Bit", "General", "Normal Life", etc. ...... are. :?

Didn't "Intelligence Cell" used to be next to "Current Affairs"?

Even accounting for the increase in forums, I'm sure the old format was easier.

11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I'm not sure how "meaningful" consolidation can happen. I'd say nearly all the forums that are in play are ok (although I'm not sure about the latest young and old split up - don't see the point myself - thought the benefit of mixed boards was the difference of opinion and the education both can get from each other) but I do think we are should be pretty careful where else we expand to.

12. meridian

I am not sure what the difference is between the Intelligence Cell and Current Affairs, the posts seem very similar to me. I would also say that if you need a description of what the forum is about its because the title is too ambiguous

13. I don't see it as a problem to be honest. I have 'last 50 posts' as my Arrse home page. Unless you only come on once in a blue moon, it seems to do the job of giving you info of the latest topics over a day or two.

If I want to post a thread, I just find the relevant forum to post it in. I then go to 'My Stuff' and click on 'My posts' to keep track of threads I've added bollox to. I tend to be interested in the Aviation forum and regularly click on 'Forums' to see if there are new threads in there. Its as simple as a Para.

meridian, what is it your finding difficult or is there something specific?

14. meridian

Nothing specific Flash, it just seems a bit overwhelming. One of my obervations from the stuff we do with HTO is that there is an awful lot of 'lack of awareness' amongst users and I wondered if this was because posts were scattered across loads of forums so some of the messages got lost in the background.

15. "Current Affairs" is serious and educated analysis of political or military news.

"Intelligence Cell" is just discussing or "chatting about" the news (or anything one finds interesting) ..... which isn't humorous enough for the NAAFI Bar.