Does anyone remember this song FFS!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Cuddles, Apr 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, long story short. I have a fragment of a song stuck in my head from c.1972.

The song is about a guy who pulls a girl and takes her to his flat. It is an amusing song and at certain points there is a kind of cross talk between the girl (who has a ditzy NY accent) and the chap.

Fragments of lyrics come into my head, unbidden. These include the sung lines "Nilsonn will sing and you won't feel a thing", "Won't you please take me home..." and "So stay with me...something something...at least wait until the late show". Also some of the cross talk, where he says a bottle of wine and she asks what wine is it and he says after a long pause.."that's red wine". He also says "Let's turn on the hot fire..."

I have half an idea that the female in the song is Carole Bayer Seger, another one of the Emperor's voices tells me the song is a Randi Edelman or possibly Randi Newman one!

People have started to mutter things like "section", "straitjacket" and pentothal when I walk past. help!

2. Oooh I nearly forgot, there is one bit where he says to her, "by the way what's your name". She says a name...there is a big pause then a sort of tum-tum-tum, tan-tan-tah flourish and he says "That was my mother's name". What a merchant but we all have had similar experiences!

3. Is it called '' Oh but it's cold outside''

If it is, Tom Jones and Cerys Mathews covered it a couple of years ago.

4. Oooh I nearly forgot, there is one bit where he says to her, "by the way what's your name". She says a name...there is a big pause then a sort of tum-tum-tum, tan-tan-tah flourish and he says "That was my mother's name". What a merchant but we all have had similar experiences!

5. Oh golly it is all coming back to me now...

Other fragments:

"won't you please take me home, I've a coat we could share"

and

"you are short, I am tall and I think that says it all"

6. no Jacob, not that one at all. Very soft-rock American easy listening stuff...

7. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Nope. That is 'Baby it's cold outside'. by Frank Loesser, written in around 1944.
    Has been recorded many times, but the best known version was by Dinah Shore and Buddy Clark.

I have no idea what the song cuddles is hallucinating about is.

8. Sounds typically Dean Friedmanesque, Cuddles.

9. The sites a bit slow at the moment!! Rupert Holmes Link Above

10. Inddeed it does. Spot on...and I was beginning to wonder if there was some plot to drive me mad...whereas in fact the madness is merely coincidental. Perhaps you would care to have a virtual bottle of champagne at my virtual expense?

11. And yes, it was Dean Friedmanesque. Perhaps we should thank our lucky stars that mmm babies heads is as smart as he likes to think he is??

12. Might as well Sir, I'm always virtually pi$$ed!!! Pleasure.... Theres two threads on this!!

13. It's all come flooding back hearing that again!!

I was rushing out to buy it and knocked myself out for 3 months on a concrete lamp post. What a bummer it had been withdrawn when I came round. Some things are meant to happen.