Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Does anyone recognise these WW1 medals?

BP1

Swinger
So, this is a real shot in the dark but if there’s anyone out there who has any idea – or can point me in the right direction – it’s all much appreciated.

My grandfather was Indian and fought in India for the British (obviously, given India was part of the Empire) during WW1. All I have to go on are these medals, my mum’s 74 and she was a child when he died and there’s no family record at all.

What we know is that he was a doctor, but we don’t know what regiment he was attached to.

Two of them are clearly medals, as they have pins for the ribbons and I’m not sure if the other two are medals. But, they all have his name stamped on the rim, along with other letters that sadly don’t mean anything to me… Seriously, any closet investigators out there – I’d love to hear from you… Cheers.

Also, if anyone knows what ribbons go with these, I’d love to send them away to be cleaned and framed – my mum is very proud of her father’s sacrifice and it would make an old lady very happy.
Medal 1a.JPG
Medal 1b.JPG
Medal 2a.JPG
Medal 2b.JPG
Medal 3a.JPG
Medal 3b.JPG
Medal 4a.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Numbered from top left to bottom right, number 3 and number 6 look like the Victory medals that my Grandad got.
Number 4 is the other side of number 3 and number 5 is the other side of number 6.
Hope that makes sense.
The ribbon on number 3/4 is a dark blue stripe on the outside, then thin silver then broad orange in the middle.
The ribbon on 5/6 is more of a spectrum going from purple on the outside through greens to yellow to red.
Any decent medal collector or person mounting should be able to get hold of the ribbons.
I use these for mine
Medals & Mounting - The Mess Dress Ltd

I have no idea what the other medals are but a bit of tinter web research should set you right, they are obviously all from the same era.
Polish them up, get the ribbons for them and get them framed, that should really make an old lady happy.

Last edited:
From left to right:

India General Service Medal 1909

British War Medal

Victory Medal

1914-15 Star.

I can't decipher the rank-can you write it down verbatim?

His unit was the Indian Medical Department Army Medical Corps (India) - Wikipedia

The order of wear could be IGSM, 14-15 Star, BWM and VM: though the IGSM was awarded (always with clasps) until 1935, so it may have been a post-WWI award.

Wow, that was fast!

On the 1914-1915 Star, it says:

2/CL. SR. S. A. A.

HARBANS LAL (that’s his name)

I. M. D

So, this is a real shot in the dark but if there’s anyone out there who has any idea – or can point me in the right direction – it’s all much appreciated.

My grandfather was Indian and fought in India for the British (obviously, given India was part of the Empire) during WW1. All I have to go on are these medals, my mum’s 74 and she was a child when he died and there’s no family record at all.

What we know is that he was a doctor, but we don’t know what regiment he was attached to.

Two of them are clearly medals, as they have pins for the ribbons and I’m not sure if the other two are medals. But, they all have his name stamped on the rim, along with other letters that sadly don’t mean anything to me… Seriously, any closet investigators out there – I’d love to hear from you… Cheers.

Also, if anyone knows what ribbons go with these, I’d love to send them away to be cleaned and framed – my mum is very proud of her father’s sacrifice and it would make an old lady very happy.
View attachment 261875 View attachment 261876 View attachment 261877 View attachment 261878 View attachment 261879 View attachment 261880 View attachment 261881 View attachment 261882

They are:
The 1914 - 15 Star
The War Medal 1914 - 1918
The Victory Medal
The India General Service Medal - that should have had bar.

These are the ribbons and could be the mounting order dependant on date IGSM issued:
8a2003e64392d8b3409e4249b328c391.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I’m a real novice with this stuff – what’s a bar?

Look at the image I posted above. The IGSM (green ribbon) has an ornate bar/clasp attached showing region awarded. There were several regions for qualification. The medal was awarded from 1909 - 1935.
6a0bfe5be1f05711482af3d1ebb770dd.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the ribbons, get them framed up and it would make a very good present.
If you get the time do some research (or get someone to do it) at the Public Records Office, a lot of that era is now on line.
They would go well together.

The First Medal is Actually The Indian Army Meritorious Service Medal instituted in 1888 and had a crimson ribbon up until 1917 then 3 white stripes were added after 1917 it is made of silver

Thanks so much – I’m stunned at how helpful you’ve all been – and all this within the first hour of my post!! There’s clearly a load of fascinating research I need to do.

If anything else comes up, please do post! Cheers