Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Does anyone know what this Missile is and what tank is firin

It looks like the "Kosomovitch TIRGFH MkII", but I might be wrong. No idea which tank it's fired from.

MsG

wessex_warrior said:
Didn't the yank airmobile tank Sheridan used to fire a missile round?

edit: I'm talking BS, the Sheridan didn't have a fume extractor.
Blues/cav and myself have fired wire guided Shillelagh missiles from a sheriden, bloody good fun.
NSengupta_FtKnox_2006_3921_M551s.jpg

the_butler said:
wessex_warrior said:
Didn't the yank airmobile tank Sheridan used to fire a missile round?

edit: I'm talking BS, the Sheridan didn't have a fume extractor.
Blues/cav and myself have fired wire guided Shillelagh missiles from a sheriden, bloody good fun.
NSengupta_FtKnox_2006_3921_M551s.jpg
-Yep same gun/missile Launcher combo on the M60A2 (the "Starship")as well;

Attachments

• m60a2_20connbks_204.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2,159
Thanks Steve063 but the missile does not look the same was wondering if NATO forces were playing with WG missiles

edited to add Picture of T 90 WGM

Attachments

• t90_6s_1_.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 2,079
Are you sure it's a missile (as in, ATGM)?
It looks like a tank round to me, with fin stab and discarding sabot (explosive assisted ? )
There's no propulsion exhaust, wire guidance or evidence that is not a 'dumb' round.
I'll keep looking on t'internet......

The first operational Soviet GLATGM was Songster as fitted to the T-64B and using the 125mm gun. Newer missiles exist, but you're going to have to Google for the details.

In addition, the Soviets went on to produce variants in 100mm and 115mm for retrofit to T-55 and T-62. The missile guidance equipment can also be retro-fitted to T-72, was standard on T-80 and is standard on the T-90. And they'll sell you 105mm and 120mm variants now for Western gun tubes.

They are all laser beam riding, that is the laser is aimed at the base of the missile and the missile manoeuvres to keep it centred, so beam moves up, missile follows and so on. This means that it is more difficult to detect the laser on the target than using a laser for illumination.

Hence missile exhausts will be on the sides, and motor burn times may be very short to allow better manoeuvering. After all, it comes out of the gun pretty fast to start with.

The first operational Soviet GLATGM was Songster as fitted to the T-64B and using the 125mm gun. Newer missiles exist, but you're going to have to Google for the details.

In addition, the Soviets went on to produce variants in 100mm and 115mm for retrofit to T-55 and T-62. The missile guidance equipment can also be retro-fitted to T-72, was standard on T-80 and is standard on the T-90. And they'll sell you 105mm and 120mm variants now for Western gun tubes.

They are all laser beam riding, that is the laser is aimed at the base of the missile and the missile manoeuvres to keep it centred, so beam moves up, missile follows and so on. This means that it is more difficult to detect the laser on the target than using a laser for illumination.

Hence missile exhausts will be on the sides, and motor burn times may be very short to allow better manoeuvering. After all, it comes out of the gun pretty fast to start with.