Does anyone know the policy on joining the police if you are already in the reserves?

Hi,

I am currently considering joining the Reserves, I applied to the regulars when I was 18 but due to injury that was put back and then other things came about and sadly I don't think it could be something I could pursue, however I wanna still do my time and want to join the reserves however I do plan on joining the police, either West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire or GMP however I can only information on joining the Reserves once you are in one of these force's I wanted to know if it effects your application if you are already in

Thanks in advance

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
You can join the Police if you are in the reserves but trust me....you really don't want to.

Today's copper is little more than a glorified social worker but with 6 times the paperwork.

Don't do it.

It won't affect your application if you are already in the reserves. But if you are accepted you have to resign before you start police training. Once in the police you can apply to join the reserves. There is a waiting list as only something like ten percent of a force strengh can be volunteer reservists. This is because police forces have an essential role together with the other emergency services in wartime. This ia also why regular reservists are exempt from being recalled to the colours while serving as police officers.

I joined the Police and was allowed to stay in the Reserves, that was with Humberside. I seem to remember that the same allowances were made for South Yorkshire too as they share HR. Also, I have a guy in my AR Company who is British Transport Police.
All depends on which Force/Constabulary you join.

You can in the Met although irritatingly this wasn't the case when I joined.

I agree with @The_Poltroon whilst also noting that it's the greatest thing I've ever done and will ever do, and I would join again if I did things over... it's also pushed me to the point of breaking in the past and I also can at times feel deeply, deeply let down by the organisation, the system and the country.

But I don't regret it and the times I've made a difference or been able to pretend to be a hero for 5 minutes make it worth it a thousand times over.

It's a funny one.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
You can in the Met although irritatingly this wasn't the case when I joined.

I agree with @The_Poltroon whilst also noting that it's the greatest thing I've ever done and will ever do, and I would join again if I did things over... it's also pushed me to the point of breaking in the past and I also can at times feel deeply, deeply let down by the organisation, the system and the country.

But I don't regret it and the times I've made a difference or been able to pretend to be a hero for 5 minutes make it worth it a thousand times over.

It's a funny one.
I hated the job mate. I knew it wasn't going to be like The Bill or The Sweeney.... but I wasn't prepared for just HOW unlike The Bill or The Sweeney it was.

I was chuffed when I got in seeing as we were told there were over 1000 applicants for just 30 jobs at the time but it didn't take me long to realise it was the worst job I'd ever had in my life.

The whole experience of being a Copper seemed to be just one huge arrse covering exercise

If the general public in the town I worked in knew what a disorganised dishonest mob their local Constabulary really were they'd never sleep soundly in their beds again.

I'm lucky that my experience doesn't entirely match that. Dishonesty isn't something I really saw at all, or racism - since that is the popular accusation at the moment.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
I'm lucky that my experience doesn't entirely match that. Dishonesty isn't something I really saw at all, or racism - since that is the popular accusation at the moment.
During my time I saw thefts, criminal damage, drink driving and assaults (one of which was sexual) as well as many cases of blatantly lying on witness statements and in pocket books just to get a conviction.

Terrible.