Does anyone know Blackburn?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by angular, Feb 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm due to go to Blackburn on a family history trip in the next year or so. My family used to own a house on what is now the site of the main mosque in the town. Does anyone know the town well enough to tell me if it's safe for a middle-aged white bloke to walk round there on his own, possibly taking pictures? I've heard some bad things about that place, and I don't particularly fancy getting in a scrap if it's not necessary.

And yes, I know I'm just a soft southern puff who should relish the challenge :roll:
  2. Wear a Burkha - you will be fine.
  3. I know Kung Fu?
  4. tony...
  5. Email the Muslim Council of Britain, tell they why and see if they can set up your visit. . . . . . . to an ENGLISH town location.

GOD, it's OUR bloody country and with a little tact and some respect, follow the rules of entering a Mosque, ask for the Imam and I'm sure you will be fine . . . . . If not drag a pig in with you . . . :wink:
  6. Mind where you put your feet:

"I read the news today oh, boy
    Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire
    And though the holes were rather small
    They had to count them all
    Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall
    I'd love to turn you on
  7. It's not inside the mosque that I was concerned about; I'm sure politeness will go a long way with the grown-ups who run the place. Equally, I'm not desperately keen to ask for 'permission' to enter a 'Muslim area'.

I want some inside gen about what that area of the town's like, to see if the comments I've heard elsewhere are a reasonable summary of the situation or just racist BS.
  8. Angular, my bold, it's Britain, not Baghdad, which IS a muslim area. You don't need permission to walk around your own country.
  9. theres a TA centre almost next door to it why not arrange your visit for a tuesday night and pop in for a brew. there is still much of old blackburn still there but a lot of it has been built over with new estates and such.

never been a race issue as far as i am aware in that particular area
  10. Really where you been, PC government will need to have written permission, unless it wishes to offen anyone
  11. Unless theres been a drastic change very recently, I lived there for a few years and felt safe everywhere. Good town
  12. There's 4000 holes in in and it's in Lancashire....................and they cant play football for toffee.
  13. Thanks bigpod and fusilier, good to hear.
  14. You know you're in trouble when they say, "Come to Blackburn, the countryside is only a short distance away". Or, they could just say, "Stay in the countryside, it's really nice". :roll: