Does anyone know Blackburn?

I'm due to go to Blackburn on a family history trip in the next year or so. My family used to own a house on what is now the site of the main mosque in the town. Does anyone know the town well enough to tell me if it's safe for a middle-aged white bloke to walk round there on his own, possibly taking pictures? I've heard some bad things about that place, and I don't particularly fancy getting in a scrap if it's not necessary.

And yes, I know I'm just a soft southern puff who should relish the challenge :roll:

dpcw

War Hero
Wear a Burkha - you will be fine.

Email the Muslim Council of Britain, tell they why and see if they can set up your visit. . . . . . . to an ENGLISH town location.

GOD, it's OUR bloody country and with a little tact and some respect, follow the rules of entering a Mosque, ask for the Imam and I'm sure you will be fine . . . . . If not drag a pig in with you . . . :wink:

Mind where you put your feet:

"I read the news today oh, boy
Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall
I'd love to turn you on
"

CharlieBubbles said:
Email the Muslim Council of Britain, tell they why and see if they can set up your visit. . . . . . . to an ENGLISH town location.

GOD, it's OUR bloody country and with a little tact and some respect, follow the rules of entering a Mosque, ask for the Imam and I'm sure you will be fine . . . . . If not drag a pig in with you . . . :wink:
It's not inside the mosque that I was concerned about; I'm sure politeness will go a long way with the grown-ups who run the place. Equally, I'm not desperately keen to ask for 'permission' to enter a 'Muslim area'.

I want some inside gen about what that area of the town's like, to see if the comments I've heard elsewhere are a reasonable summary of the situation or just racist BS.

angular said:
CharlieBubbles said:

It's not inside the mosque that I was concerned about; I'm sure politeness will go a long way with the grown-ups who run the place. Equally, I'm not desperately keen to ask for 'permission' to enter a 'Muslim area'.
I want some inside gen about what that area of the town's like, to see if the comments I've heard elsewhere are a reasonable summary of the situation or just racist BS.
Angular, my bold, it's Britain, not Baghdad, which IS a muslim area. You don't need permission to walk around your own country.

theres a TA centre almost next door to it why not arrange your visit for a tuesday night and pop in for a brew. there is still much of old blackburn still there but a lot of it has been built over with new estates and such.

never been a race issue as far as i am aware in that particular area

saintstone said:
angular said:
CharlieBubbles said:

Angular, my bold, it's Britain, not Baghdad, which IS a muslim area. You don't need permission to walk around your own country.
Really where you been, PC government will need to have written permission, unless it wishes to offen anyone

There's 4000 holes in in and it's in Lancashire....................and they cant play football for toffee.

You know you're in trouble when they say, "Come to Blackburn, the countryside is only a short distance away". Or, they could just say, "Stay in the countryside, it's really nice". :roll:

angular said:
You know you're in trouble when they say, "Come to Blackburn, the countryside is only a short distance away". Or, they could just say, "Stay in the countryside, it's really nice". :roll:
To be honest the Ribble Valley / Trough of Bowland next door is actually very nice - Mrs lancslad is also a soft southerner :wink: and she likes it round there.

For my sins Blackburn is actually my home town :roll: although I managed to escape 17+ yrs ago and only go back these days to catch up with relatives or catch the occasional game at Ewood - it can be a dismal experience (meeting the relatives that is!) :D

On the whole I've always found B'burn to be a fairly safe location although the pakistani areas when I lived there tended to be places to avoid unless you had to "go through" them to get to your destination. Having said all that a lot of the older generation are very decent folk - the ones to watch out for and this applies to white as well as asian are the young cocky lads - regardless of colour they all need a thick ear :wink:

Your old house on Audley Range or around Bastwell?

lancslad

lancslad said:

lancslad
The old house was on Bicknell Street, although they also lived on Shear Brow and Cleaver Street. The weavers' cottages on Cleaver Street have gone now, I understand.

angular said:
lancslad said:

lancslad
The old house was on Bicknell Street, although they also lived on Shear Brow and Cleaver Street. The weavers' cottages on Cleaver Street have gone now, I understand.
Know where you're on about now - Bicknell St is other side of Bastwell nearer Whalley Range. A lot of that area was classed as "slum" as I was growing up - very much a pakistani enclave but subject to a fair amount of regeneration last few times I've been back in the UK. To be honest you will stick out like a sore thumb walking around there but as long as you act sensibly and don't hang about when it start's going dark you'll be fine.

Not sure if it's still there, but near the old town hall building there used to be a "Lewis textile museum" which gave you some good background on the cotton industry thereabouts.

Having wandered around there though you'll obviously be in need of a pint - the local beer "Thwaites" is worthwhile and if you head up towards a) Tockholes or b) Pleasington (Railway Arms - I think) you'll find some very pleasant distractions. Keep well away from the pubs in the town centre - either they've gone downhill or my taste has improved hugely :D

lancslad

Take a bag of pork scratchings. If you get attacked you can always throw them around yourself like chaff while you make yor escape