Does anyone have any decent recipes for trout?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by commzmeanzbombz, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Ive reached the point in my fly Fishing development where I regularly bring home a few fat rainbow trout and to be quite honest im getting bored of the same old recipes.

Does anyone have any delicious methods for cooking these beauties that they would like to share with me???

I only really catch rainbows from still waters as my local river requires the pay packet of an MP in order to fish from it.

Thankyou in advance for your help,

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

yes. get some brown paper and string, gut the fish and wrap them in the brown paper tie off with string and throw them into the bin.
  3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Here is a few options:

As we are hitting BBQ Season:

• 2 x 300g/10½oz whole trout, scaled, cleaned and gutted
    • olive oil
    • sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • a large bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
    • 2 lemons, 1 zested and sliced, 1 halved
    • a few knobs of butter

Preheat your grill to full whack. Slash each trout with a knife, about ten times on each side. Each slash should be about 0.5cm/¼ inch deep. Rub the trout with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Stuff the cavities with plenty of chopped parsley and the lemon slices. Place the fish side by side on a baking rack over a roasting tray.

Put the lemon zest on top of the fish and place the lemon halves on the tray too. Dot the trout with the butter and place it 15cm/6 inches from the grill. Cook for around 6 minutes on each side until crispy and golden.

Squeeze the roasted lemon over the top of the fish and serve with a simple crunchy side salad.

Thanks to Jamie Oliver.

Waitrose's Rainbow Trout with Minted Mushy Peas

• 4 whole English rainbow trout, about 320g each, cleaned and scaled
    • 1 tsp olive oil
    • 80g pack fresh mint, leaves only
    • 1 lemon, cut into slices

For the minted peas
    • 400g Shelled Garden Peas
    • 125ml vegetable stock
    • 25g butter

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4, or prepare and light the barbecue. Give the fish a final wash under cold running water to make sure they are thoroughly clean. Cut 4 sheets of foil large enough to wrap each fish. Grease each sheet well with the oil.
    2. Reserve some mint leaves as a garnish then divide half of the remaining leaves between the foil sheets. Place a trout on top of each then cut 4-5 diagonal slashes on one side of each fish, place lemon slices inside the cavities and season lightly. Wrap the fish loosely in the foil, leaving some room for steam to gather. Place on a baking sheet or barbecue rack and cook for about 30 minutes or until the fish is just cooked and the flesh is opaque.
    3. Meanwhile, place the peas and the stock together in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the peas are just tender. Chop the remaining mint. Remove the peas and stock from the heat and pour into a food processor or blender. Pulse to roughly chop the peas. Place in a serving bowl and mix in the butter and chopped mint, then season to taste. Keep warm by covering with foil until the trout is cooked.
    4. Carefully remove the skin from the fish, if preferred. Garnish the trout with the remaining lemon slices and mint leaves, and serve with the mushy minted peas and buttered new potatoes.

Cook's tips

To remove the cooked fish easily from the bones, run a knife along the backbone and lift the fillet away, using a palette knife. Turn the fish over and repeat.

Edited to make it a little easier to read.
  4. Not a trout fan then Biscuits? :D
  5. Place the fish on a sheet of baking Parchment (Foil will do) and after some light seasoning (inside and out), sprinkle over a little red wine vinegar and some flaked almonds.
    Fold up into a parcel and Pop in the oven on 180º for about 15 mins.

Very basic but subtle enough for some strong veg/accompaniments. However I do New Potatoes, spinach or some spicy Cous-Cous/Rice
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Trout poached in dry cider is delicious.

Place Trout in large frying pan
    Cover with dry cider
    Put in some carrots and other hard veg of your choice (No onions)

Cover and Poach gently for 15 mins

Serve with new potatoes and any greens you have handy

p.s. Get a large flagon of cider - remainder for cook :D
  7. A little amendment to this:- place dill sprigs and lemon inside the fish, season well, sprinkle a little vermouth over the trout, wrap up nd carry on a above, great with new potatoes and baby leaf salad.
  8. The Cider one sounds intersting Auld-yin! I might give that one a go this weekend.

I will let you know how i get on!
  9. Nice! :D
    The only problem with Trout is not having something too powerful as an ingredient to stifle it's soft subtle taste. A stong accompaniment can enhance the flavour but it's a fine balance according to one's palate.
  10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Leslie Ash had a good trout recipie that worked, mainly involving Botox.

11. Hairy trout?
  12. Another drama is that the majority of trout that I catch are around the 6lb mark and although great to catch are very difficult to cook properly rather than burnt on the outside and raw in the middle.

I’m hoping that poaching may alleviate this problem!
  13. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

not out of a res mate :) taste like mud and trout pellets to me. Best one will be the ones you've poached from that very expensive strip of water you mentioned.
  14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Sesame Crusted Trout with Soy-Vinegar Dressing
    Description Simple and savory pan cooked fish with a warm soy-vinaigrette dressing.
    Serves 2
    Preparation Time 2 minutes
    Cooking Time 10 minutes
    Ingredients 2 Fresh Trout fillets (about 6 oz each)
    1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds
    1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon Japanese Soy Sauce
    1 Tablespoon Splenda (or Sugar)
    1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
    Method In a small bowl, mix together the soy, rice vinegar, sugar and ginger. Set aside.

Pat dry the trout fillets and dredge them in the sesame seeds. Over medium heat, in a lightly oiled non-stick pan, cook the fish fillets, about 5 minutes per side (depending on thickness) or until just cooked through. The sesame seeds should be lightly browned.

Remove the cooked fillets from the pan onto a plate, remove the pan from the heat and immediately pour the soy mixture into the pan, stirring rapidly for a few seconds, then gently drizzle the soy mixture over the fish.

Walla! Fish for two!
  15. Personally I wouldn't bother with recipes for trout.

Maggots, flies, pond-skaters - they don't tend to be that fussy in my experience.