Does anyone have a specific training program for?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jimmybragg, Mar 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The 1.5 mile run, i can complete the distance quite comfortably but just need to work on my speed any tips or training programs that work would be appreciated.
  2. do some longer runs. 3, 5, 8 mile runs.

Interval work?

30 sec sprints followed by 1.30 min rest x8?
    a shuttle course of say 20 metres? de acceleration and accelaration is murder.

ie. Monday 3 mile run, wednesday interval work, friday longer run, weekend off.
  3. A shuttle course of say 20 metres? de acceleration and accelaration is murder.

sorry not wanting to sound like a thicko but does this mean do 20m then go faster for another 20m then faster again for the next 20m and so forth.

Cheers for the advice ive been really frustrated and not being able to get my speed up.
  4. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Does anyone have a specific training regime for a fat fcuker?

well actually not that much of a fat fcuker anymore as i have engaged get yer arrse fit mode, however I am struggling with a lot of knee pain so any tips for building up muscle around the knee would be welcome.
  5. Use lamposts, sprint to next one, then jog slowly to next, sprint, jog, etc
  6. A few years ago i use to have problems with my one knees (previous abuse in boots) thought it was fooked... 3 years later I rejoined and after a few months of gym (stayin off the dreadmills) it seemed to of solved it. Dont know what or how I was cured, but I dont get the problem anymore. Doc told me I need to take pressure of my knee, just a thought.
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yep makes sense, ive cut down on the weight bearing stuff and trying to find exercises to build up the muscles around both knees.
  8. I read an interesting article in runners world magazine, it was along the lines that two runners are training to improve their 10k run times, one runner trains using hill, interval type training, the other just runs constant 10k's. At the end of the trial period, the 10k only runner had improved his run time more than the hill, interval one.

Makes sense to me, you dont practise cricket to get better at golf!

I think its a personal thing, what works for one person wont work for everyone, you need to find a program that you feel comfortable with and gives you reasonable results.
  9. Biscuits - have you tried going to a podiatrist? I was getting severe pain in the outer side of my left knee, and got some decent orthotics made (through the system though - not sure what they'd cost in the real world). I went from only being to go for 10 mins before the knee was in clip, to being able to run for as long as I need.

10. Knee pain is more often than not technique related, rather than deficiency related.
    Orthotics mask the issue, you're still running like a cunt and you'll still feel it down the line. It's a sales gimmick.
  11. Have you tried taking Glucosamine Sulphate for knee injuries?
  12. Well, I've always run like a wounded animal, but these seem to work, even though they may be making it. My muscles are plenty strong enough round my knee, but it's my toe that doesn't flex enough (I think). I know it was definately something musculo/skeletal when they looked at me...
  13. Quick word of wisdom, they will ALWAYS find an issue with you, some form of discrepancy - mainly since the vast majority of the time it's natural deviation. Helps they get a rather lovely chunk of dosh. It's rare to have a definitive deviation that causes a notable issue when proper technique is brought into play.

Even fatboys can be taught to run well. They got in Lee Saxby to teach the 3 who done that advert.
  14. If it's pain on the outside of the knee, it could be ITB.

I only got ITB after I stopped doing squats and started uppping the milage.
  15. May I add a side note to that running technique.

At the beginning he is over extending, by the time he is running through the savannah his feet are landing only slighty infront on him and they are thrown out behind.