Does age affect you?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Tarzan, May 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would just like to know ...

[align=center]Would an Officer of 24 (after completing university) be perceived better by his soldiers than say someone that has just finished his A-levels and is an Officer at 19, (for example: because the 19 year old looks so much younger than most of the people in his troop, unlike the 24 year old) would the age gap be a big problem? I mean I know it is somewhat dependant on how good you are, but first of impressions ... what do you guys think?[/align]
  2. Both the 19 and the 24 year old have been through Sandhurst and the rough edges will have been knocked off both. The 24 year old will bring some maturity to the party that the 19 yr old can't, but that is about it.

I believe that most soldiers look at the rank slide and respond to that. Later, they might think that Capt Bloggs is very young, or very old, but most don't even think about it! The members of your troop might, because they are closest to you but, by that time, you have already closed with the enemy and have the advantage!

3. Agree with Litotes.

I'd also add: that it is why 19 year old officers wear their 2Lt rank for much longer than their older (graduate) counterparts. They need more time to mature.
  4. Don't we just NonGrad. 8O

Tarzan, fortunately the system has changed, in so much as a grad will still get the 3 years seniority for doing a degree, but promotion is now based on time served and not age. This means that a Capt will have done a minimum of 7 years (Grad), 10 years (Non-grad) before they can be promoted to Major. What is still awkward is that a grad has only two years to get all of the mistakes, distance learning and other promotion courses out of the way before they can be promoted to Capt; oh and that little bit about being a Tp/Pl Comd!
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

This can be bundled up with all of the other "comparative" threads in that it all depends on the individual - you will get good and bad.

Compare the 24 year old grad who has followed the private school, good uni & RMAS route to the 19 year old A levels followed by 6 months on a building site followed by RMAS non grad. They both have gained experience, but of dramatically different types. I have experienced young non grads with far more rounded and balanced personalities than older graduates - it all depends on the individual.

The soldiers will judge you on your ability, your actions, and how you treat your soldiers. They are unlikely to care too much about which school you went to, for how long, or how old you are. As a non grad however, you are more likely to spend more time in role as a Pl/Trp comd and therefore enjoy the things you joined to do for longer.

6. When I was in my glory years as a senior NCO, I can honestly say that YOs' ages were a matter of utter indifference to both me and the lads. What they were like was far more important. If they were really good, or really amusing, or always in the Adj's in tray (for good stylish misbehaviour, obviously), they'd be well perceived; if they were noshers or climbers, they wouldn't. Simple really.
  7. I see, Thank you guys, its just my careers advisor warned me that i would be put up against some fierce competition on RCB and when in the real thing, she tried to steer me to university first but i was confident of the Army first, she did confirm what you said about being promoted quicker though, a Seargent in the RGBW told me (on a careers interview) that being an undergraduate means i wont get promoted as fast as the graduates, and being good at my job wont come into it, so am i taking it as though this is completly true?

Thanks for all your advice by the way,
  8. He was probably just reffering to the three years seniority that graduates gain from doing their degree course so where a Non Grad can expect to do five years as a 2Lt, a Grad will expect to do 2.
  9. Agree with all the above. However.. I would really think hard about not going to uni. I almost joined from school and am very glad that I didn't. I was an infinitely better subbie for the experience and ammassed a collection of great friends which many non-grads haven't had the opportunity to do.

Plus, should you leave you might find yourself severely disadvantaged. Think hard.
  10. In all honesty there must be some slight discrimation age wise. I would think it perfectly natural for a troop to not be too pleased by a 19 year old Officer rather than a 21 year old (as first impressions of course) then get to know them and have room to change their minds.
  11. Ah, yeah ive taken that into consideration now, (Thank you)
    The problem i still have is: im supposed to be starting uni in september this year, my RCB wont be until after ive started uni (the next available one) so i agreed to join uni and dependant on whether or not i pass my RCB i will leave uni, but from what a lot of you guys say and think im taking it that maybe it would be a better idea to keep on at uni? maybe i should do my RCB and if i pass stay on at uni and then join after (Poro says the ticket to Sandhurst doesnt run out until your 29 pendant on whether youve passed it) but will this show lack of commitment? do you think thats a good idea?
  12. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Tarzan.. in the words of the quiz show "I've started so I'll finish". If you are already at university by then, you may as well finish the course. This will then still allow you to go to RMAS as a graduate, but have the safety net of a degree behind you. Despite best intentions, many people's plans concerning the army come apart (injury etc) and having a degree will place you in a better position to seek future civvie employment. Also, consider joining the TA during uni to build on your fitness, military knowledge etc.

Good luck,

13. Tarzan as a non-grad myself I have had an excellent time; with plenty of opportunity to do all of the good things that a Tp Comd should be able to do. That is the advantage of having 5 years to reach Captain instead of 2.

HOWEVER if you are at university when you do your RCB I would agree with The_Duke. If you bin doing a degree not only will you have wasted a perfectly good opportunity to further develop yourself but you will have thrown away at least a year of your life.
  14. If you have the chance to go to uni then go. If you don't you will regret it, trust me. Join the TA or the OTC if you want to get some time in green while you are getting a degree.

Its only three years and you will have a great time if you approach it with the right attitude. A degree will set you up for life in terms of your further education and it certainly won't hurt you career wise.

Have a search for all the other threads from other blokes wanting to go straight to Sandhurst after A-levels. Most of the advice from people who have been there is to do a degree.

I'm not an officer but I would advise you to go to uni and make the most of it.

15. RTFQ

I'm a non grad, I've done 10 years and I'm leaving this year. It suited me and I have had an amazing time. Civvy Street doesn't have the same points of reference as the military and not having a degree works very much against me.

If I were to give you any advice it would be to complete your degree, but make damn sure you're doing a course that will stimulate you and that you get the most out of your time at uni. Inside and outside of studies. I would have said, until a couple of years ago, that you should join the TA while you were there, but take some advice from the TA guys on that - you don't want to get deployed halfway through your course as that defeats the whole object. My opinion of OTCs is poor - but that is as an outsider looking in, so keep an open mind.

Time spent gaining a good degree, learning to tear the arrse out of it socially, persuing a sport/adv training qual and gaining some meaningful military experience, will stand you in good stead for your future within and without the army.

No plan survives first contact, however. Whatever happens you can adapt and overcome and enjoy the hell out of it. It's what it's all about. :D