Does a Soldier need to pass a BPFA?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by BFPO, Sep 29, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Used to think so until I heard of a chap loosing his foot whilst defusing a bomb. Puts a bit of a new slant on things? I used to think that any soldier in position of a note from Matron should be at least able to meet the minimum requirement of fitness. I recon my attitude has changed with age. We have a Fijian soldier who plays Army rugby and can’t pass his BPFA! Food for thought. Are the Army sports standards all to cock or is the BPFA wrong?
  2. msr

msr LE

It's an assessment, not a test....

3. Regrettably, MSR is right...

I have just had a soldier return from a Military Proficiency Course and HE was horrified that the usual beginning of course BFT/BFPA that invariably weeded out a good third of the ill-prepared duffers produced the same result've guest it, everyone got to stay on the course!

Huurummph! Standards!
  4. BFPO, out of interest, where does the Fijian fall down? I find it extraordinary that someone who plays rugby at that level can't pass!
  6. I suspect that once the MOD discovered it could no longer dismiss employess on the grounds of poor fitness (as learned in the courts no doubt!), the BPFA was only a matter of time.

It is exactly what is says on the tin! An assessment. Where it catches folk now, is in their CR's. It is fair to say that if two individuals were equally skilled at their trades (outside of the inf, of course) and equally skilled militarily (as unlikely as that might be!), if one could pass and the other could not pass a BPFA, the one that could pass would grade higher on his (or her) CR. I certainly hope so! If promotion boards were to start promoting people who could not pass their BPFA, I would lose all hope.

Is it worth it? Well there has to be a standard, and if the test is no longer a pass fail option, the failures still have to do remedials (before work and lunch - serves them right!) and they will either learn or spend more time sweating than I do - despite my being fitter!

Failure is simple - if you don't get all green, you have failed. If anything, it is a little more realistic than the old BFT as it involves more than a run. I was (and remain!) surprised at how much harder the BPFA feels, when you do the run straight after 2 mins of situps!!

Times change, and so must we, or be swept aside!
  7. The chap who is struggling with a “green” assessment can’t get his running under the allocated time for his age. He is now on remedial PT but still plays rugby for the garrison, corps and I recon soon the army. I am totally bemused at the whole set up! I suspect that the OC has told him that he can not play rugby, but I also suspect that the OC has been told to wind his neck in?

The fact is that we have a soldier on remedial PT playing army rugby at a very high level. I think it stinks!
  8. I think it probably means that one test does not cover all soldiers. For those of you who are pinning your hopes of promotion on a physical fitness test - oh dear, have you got a surprise coming.
  9. If he remains on remedial for any length of time without showing any improvement - due to lack of back bone, etc, - the CO should still be able to put him on a 3 Month bender for inefficiency and, if he is minded to, eject said miscreant.

No time wasters please.
  10. I think passing the BFPA is all well and good, they should also give certain people an annual common sense/brain teaser to pass. That would make lots of people sweat more than, 'run over run back.'
  11. Having played Rugby at Unit & Corps level for most of my Army career I can vouch that alot of what we call 'Pitch Fit' players will have trouble doing other ordinary forms of PT, especially running. I have never failed a BFT/BPFA but have never been able to get really good times. Whereas I can carry my fat lardy arrse around a pitch for ages..

As for the BPFA being an assessment, you want to tell that to unit PTI's who put anyone who fails to get a green pass at press ups on rmedial running...
  12. We also must not over look wippets who can BFT in 8.30 mins yet fall over after 5 miles on a CFT. Yet almost universally the BFT runner will be viewed as fitter than his pal who can tab all day but comes in at 10 mins on a BFT.
  13. Speedy , I agree totally........We may need to be fit to fight front and furious.......but we also need longer stayers....endurance people, physically and intilellectually.
  14. And that was exactly why the CFT (as was) was brought in. During the Falklands war (showing my age now) it was found that the 8 minute BFT wonders could not hack the pace of marching across the islands and were dropping like flies. Yet the older bloke with a bit of fat who usually ran a 10 minuter, just plodded on and got there in the end. End of the war, big inquest, and hence the CFT.
  15. ... and to give my answer to the question:

Yes, a soldier DOES have to pass a BPFA, especially if he or she is in my unit - if he (or she) doesn't then they are off to the doc to get a 'fit for remedial PT' certificate and then spend the next month wishing they had:

1. Done just a few more press ups, or
    2. Done a few more sit ups, or
    3. Ran a bit faster, or - all three.

This is the basic level to be achieved, note the word basic. I have been passing (or achieving a green assessment if you want to be a PC nob) these things for nearly a quarter of a century and I expect younger, slimmer and therefore supposedly fitter soldiers to do so with some degree of comfort. The last one of my troops who I beat on the run (by a good couple of minutes) really didn't enjoy the experience, (the subsequent interview with me, not the assessment).

.... and another thing. Failing the CFT is akin to pi**ing in my boots - it gets the same reaction!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: