Dodgy Ticker

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by moleary21, Feb 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have just had my world completely rocked, always aspired to join the Army as an officer, attend Sandhurst and all that jazz. I've worked hard to get through main board, got my place booked at Sandhurst for May, and couldn't be more excited...BUT.. during my medical at MB a heart murmur was heard, no biggie I'm told. Go and see a Cardiologist and he tells me I have a Biscupid Aortic Valve (a two leaf valve on the Aorta - which should be a Tricuspid Valve, a 3 leafed valve), leaving the cardiologist to say 'I don't know what this means to your proposed commencement in the army. - World rocked.

I have done a fair amount of research about the disease and in the long term what might happen to my heart valve, but never been able to find out what the army's position on it is. My heart is perfectly healthy, according to the cardiologist, and the Doc at Westbury is away for while, so I have been left in the lurch considering what to do with my life.

Has anyone heard of this problem before and have any idea on the position of the army on it?
  2. Well, a brief googling hasn't revealed anything. AFCO Form 5 says that "Certain heart valve abnormalities" would preclude entry... Nice and specific for you. Not being a doctor I can only wish you the best of luck.
  3. Just wondered if you have been able to enlist in the Army with the Bicuspid Aortic Valve. I have the same condition and am currently trying to appeal against my medical rejection.