Dodgy story, or just lazy journalism?

longtimeout

War Hero

The story as I read it is a bit weird (or just badly written).

Joined "the Military"

Transferred to the RAF. Trained as an aircraft engineer, then became a bomb disposal expert...

Founding member of the Tactical Armament Squadron.

Practiced jumping Harley Davidson trail bikes into the back of Hercs as an escape tactic, using while clearing landmines, under sniper fire, while riding a motorbike...

And on and on...

It all sounds very "Boys own adventure"

Am more dubious that him and his wife look like brother and sister

longtimeout

War Hero
Considering that the link is dated 2007, that would put him as becoming a bomb disposal expert while he was an Aircraft Articifer with the AAC.
And becoming a Professor in the 7 years since his RAF discharge, while teaching Airline Pilots of the world how to disarm inflight bombs...

ETA, from the original article

"Some of those rushes include his time as a bomb disposal expert called up by the British Parliament, and an honorary doctorate from a Chinese university."

Last edited:

The story as I read it is a bit weird (or just badly written).

Joined "the Military"

Transferred to the RAF. Trained as an aircraft engineer, then became a bomb disposal expert...

Founding member of the Tactical Armament Squadron.

Practiced jumping Harley Davidson trail bikes into the back of Hercs as an escape tactic, using while clearing landmines, under sniper fire, while riding a motorbike...

And on and on...

It all sounds very "Boys own adventure"
He's Gen

If it is Prof. Al Hatcher, he also told me on one occasion that the was ex 14 int and had been beaten with a baseball bat by the IRA.

Did they hit a home run?
I don't know anything about baseball, so can't comment as I have no idea what a home run is. But I have met the "Prof". I can't remember who or what organisation made him a "Prof", but I do remember thinking at the time that it was an odd route to go for an academic.

Edited to add: I did a brief google search for Prof. Al Hatcher but found nothing. @bob_the_bomb may be able to throw some light as he is more academic than I due to his extensive collection of NVQ's.

Last edited:

James Bond Walt?

longtimeout

War Hero
"When Mr Hatcher finished with the military he completed a masters in business administration and eventually ended up owning and running his own business — the International School for Security and Explosives Education."

That appears from Google to be a legit institution. did he really own and run it, or is it a bit of an exaggeration?

Whining Civvy

War Hero
Kinda smells like a journo from the city had a few too many in an outback pub and believed every word the quietly sniggering farmer told him.

"When Mr Hatcher finished with the military he completed a masters in business administration and eventually ended up owning and running his own business — the International School for Security and Explosives Education."

That appears from Google to be a legit institution. did he really own and run it, or is it a bit of an exaggeration?
When I met him he was active in that business. I think it was around 12 years ago.

longtimeout

War Hero
If it is Prof. Al Hatcher, he also told me on one occasion that the was ex 14 int and had been beaten with a baseball bat by the IRA.
I'm sorry, I initially thought you were taking the piss.

I'm beginning to suspect that you were serious...

I'm sorry, I initially thought you were taking the piss.

I'm beginning to suspect that you were serious...
I am serious. I have met the man and he did tell me he was ex 14 Int. At one stage he and I were in comms with a view to running humanitarian demining courses. He seemed well connected and he did tell me that he was awarded the title of Prof, via a route that I thought a bit odd, but unfortunately I cant remember what he said. I vaguely remember that it was a foreign organisation. And I did run a brief - just a few minutes - google search for Professor Allan Hatcher, but found no mention of him.

He's gen.

247th man on the balcony, just behind me as I recall.

Latest Threads