Dodgy Holiday

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by canarybob, Aug 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have just returned from a weeks holiday in Dubrovnik, booked on-line with an ATOL/ABTA/IATA travel agent.
    The website described the room as having a balcony/terrace, but when we arrived we were in a room with no balcony/terrace and basically looked out over a brick wall and big air con unit.

We mentioned this to the hotel management, and they said we were booked into the "classic" room which doesn't have a balcony. They were fully booked and unable to upgrade us.

We then contacted the travel agent back in the UK and they (eventually) agreed that when we booked their website did specify the balcony. However, they actually booked the holiday through a third party. They apparently contacted this third party who said they would move us to another hotel at no extra cost. 2 days later the original travel agent got back to us and said that the third party agents wanted to offer us a meal for two and a bottle of wine in the hotel as way of compensation, as they were unable to find another hotel. I declined this offer saying it did not go anywhere near compensating us.

So, basically we paid nearly 2 grand for a holiday that I wouldn't have paid 500 quid for. I have taken some photographs of the view we would have had had we had the balcony (lovely, looking over the old city of Dubrovnik) and what we could actually see, a brick wall and air con.

What is my best course of action, and any ideas what sort of compensation I should expect.

Many thanks.
  2. I don't know what compensation you might expect but as for the best course of action I'd try the top result on Google if I were you: Let me google that for you...
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Can't say I spend much time looking out of hotel windows.
  4. Dubrovnik is an OK place but you can do the walled city in under a day and there isn't much else quite frankly.

How did you manage to fill an entire week there?
  5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Which hotel was it? When wifey used to work for a luxury travel firm, she blagged us a freebie to Dubrovnik on the basis that we checked a few hotels out and took some phots etc. We spent a day being driven about while she had meetings and inspected rooms and I 'inspected' the various hotel bars.

She reckons your best bet is to write a proper stinking snottogram to the tour operator/travel agent, if their reply is unsatisfactory, then contact ABTA who act as a sort of ombudsman for travel operators. There is no point going to ABTA first as they will only deal with you after all other means have been exhausted.
  6. I always use Trailfinders as they'll just do the bits I want them to, I book most of my holiday myself. I can understand if a resort isn't quite as described but a view from a city centre hotel?
    I booked a secluded hotel earlier this year miles away from anything else, reviews on Tripadvisor complained that it was secluded and miles from anywhere. Idiots.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Reckon it's better to be polite and firm at the time with complaints. Can't go back in time and he's not likely to get much joy now, worth trying though.
    Might be best to print off the Internet a picture of what view he would have had.
  8. I feel your hurt Bob.

It can happen, just look at this unfortunate lady.

• Like Like x 1
  9. On the hand, if you didn't get that balcony, sue their asses!
  10. "No balcony? But I brought my balaclava and everything...."
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Good point from a security point he's had a safer holiday.
  12. Pissed-Off.jpg

As you can see, she was not impressed.

I kind of get some of your "stop moaning and crack on" points; however, wouldn't you like to get up in the morning and go and sit on a balcony and smoke a tab with a brew? At the end of the day it's nice to chill in your own space with a glass of red no? That's what we expected to do but couldn't.

The hotel in question was the Excelsior, but it was not their fault, they just put us in the room booked by the tour operator. The reason I booked it online was that I was overseas, and couldn't get to a travel agent, and the internet is no better than dial up!

Thanks for your sympathy all...
  13. Looking at her, I suggest a holiday in Eastbourne.

Apologies if she is your Granny, Mother or indeed Wife.
  14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Check their TACOS on-line if you haven't fallen foul of them, get a print off of your contract, then go and see the CAB/your Brief.

The travel firm will bo doubt offer an apology, suitable level of refund.

If that doesn't work, contact on of the red-tops and scream "Squaddy Just Back From Afghan Ripped Off By XXX" You're bound to be quids in.
  15. 1.) Hotel is not at fault. They haven't done anything wrong. They simply allocated the room that the third party specificed.

2.) Third party is at fault (and to blame) but they will be able to pass blame successfully onto the initial booking company.

3.) The booking company owe you compensation, they are fundamentally the ones to blame. They use the third party, they take risks with them. They also are responsible for ensuring that your holiday meets the standards that they advertise.

Write a sternly worded letter to their head office (you could e-mail but they're easily ignored) and demand a response within 7 days. To show you're serious, send it 'next-day-delivery' and they should respond in kind. Accept nothing less than a full refund of your holiday OR a similar holiday offered for free. That should be their guest promise - that should be what they give you. If they refuse or they do not respond then simply state that you will be taking them to a number of consumer watchdogs.