Dodgy Holiday Gifts

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by crabtastic, May 30, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So I arrived in back in Blighty last night on a visit to the parentals and the rest of the family. Since my last trip back to the motherland, the olds had gone on their first trip to Egypt and brought me back a nice little present- a keffiyeh (كوفية). Very nice it was too, beautiful soft cotton and with it came a standard agal (عقال) which was just the right size for me. Gawd bless my mum, she still knows how to pick out the right size stuff, even though it's been a good 15 years since we last went shopping for school uniform. I only noticed one small problem- largely as a result of an overabundance of education:

Me: "Erm, Mum. Do you know what the black and white checks mean?"

Mum: "I just thought it was a nice pattern."

Me: "The PLO and Fatah wear that pattern." And I proceeded to show her a picture of Yasser Arafat.

Mum: "Oh well, never mind. There's a nice red one in the bag in the lounge."

Me: "That's the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, civilian supporters of Hamas and/or the Democratic Front for the Liberaiton of Palestine, mum. Take your pick."

Mum: "How about green?"

Me: "Islamic Jihad."

Mum: "Oh dear."

It looks like the chogie who sold her the stuff decided to have a little fun with her. Ordinarily I wouldn't mind, but I imagine that the people rummaging through my luggage when I have to return to the US might take a rather dim view of it.

I was wondering if anyone else had bought or received any gifts that had the best of intentions behind them , but were actually entirely inappropriate.
  2. :D

I wouldn't worry the re-entry search too much, CT. You know as well as I do that the person searching your luggage at LAX is going to be a nineteen-year-old girl named Shaneequa with a basket-weave, chatting on her cell as she reluctanty prods the top layer of your folded kit (wouldn't want to fcuk up the three-inch fake nails). I highly doubt she's going to flag those.
  3. Dear Crabtastic,

Please do not be surprised if this thread proves unpopular.
  4. How true, how very very true, would not know the significance of the colour at all!!
  5. Hey, maybe I'm wrong ...