Dodgy gun dealer

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by gorilla, Apr 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just attended a professional shooting lesson it turns out that my shotgun is actually left handed, i'm a right handed shooter. I bought the gun in December, the dealer was way too chatty and nice and spent ages mounting the gun. Being a first time shooter i got completely mugged off by the arrse. So just be wry of getting anything from Redbeck Shooting supplies in Crofton, near wakefield.
  2. They might not be dodgy, just not very good at shotgun fitting (they are more of an air-rifle outfit).

Does the gun fit?
  3. That dealer sounds like a right see you next tuesday to me.

You can shoot with a left hand cast if you're not a big fat chap and it's not excessive and so long as you don't have a neck like the Michelin man...but it's it's not ideal.

How much cast L/H cast has it got? Loads? Some are not actually that terrible.

Bastards all the same.
  4. You might be able to turn this to your advantage - as lefty I can't imagine LH guns to be that common, so you might get more for it?
  5. Considering the guy has shot clay pigeon for England and is a qualified coach i wouldn't of thought it would a mistake you make when selling a gun. Ive gone from a 20% shot to a 70% shot just by changing to a propper right handed gun! Do i have any rights in this case? Can i ask for my money back?
  6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Try the sale of goods act 1979 (as ammended) the item you bought is not fit for purpose. Read up on it it, it will be a bit of a ball ache in terms of time investment and you're probably going to have to take it to court but I rekon you have a strong claim.

Or you could sell it as a lefty to a lefty at a premium if there is one on lefty sg's
  7. If you bought it using a credit card, tell the bloke you need a refund or you are putting in a "dispute" with the credit card company

Its worked for me on quite a few, "big purchase" dramas, both for full refunds and when companies are trying to skank me on courier costs on a returned large item that was wrong/not to spec/not fit for purpose

Interestingly its always small/one man band companies that **** it up, start quoting bullshit then cave when you actually present them with "FACTS"

eta I know **** all about guns and gunsmiths other than the only two I've dealt with, Ashvale and Camberly have been flaky as **** and or underhand in their dealings with me (a mere air rifle punter)
  8. Decided its not worth the hassle of dealing with the individual again, so its gone on Gunmart, dont suppose anyone is after a left handed O/U shotgun? ;)
  9. I had no idea that there was such a thing as a left handed shotgun, I always thought that they were ambidextrous. Everyday is a schoolday here.
  10. Have a look at You'll have more look, as the search function lets people find exactly what you're after.
  11. If you bought it with a creditcard you should ALWAYS put it into dispute. The money gets frozen out of their account and trust me when I tell you they need to justify their actions to the CC company. If you have a case he will settle very quickly to avoid the possibility of losing his Merchant Account.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Does not work quite like that in the UK , as a retailer the card processor notifies you a customer is complaining , if you disagree you state your case , the processors legal people look at it and make a decision , even then they cant just take the retailers money off them , the credit card insurance deal is between the card provider and the card user . The retailer can insist it goes to county court if they feel they are in the right. Getting merchant accounts is not difficult.

The OP does not state if hes asked for a refund , if he has not he`s stupid , to slate the gun shop when they have not been given an opportunity to put it right is idiotic , I`d sue him for slander.

Not so long ago I purchased a s/h 7.62 T4 off a very well know gun shop , it turned out the mag was for a 303 , I called them and they apologized , fully refunded me and offered a 20% discount off a new rifle , could not fault them , had they refused to sort it then I would have slagged them off all over the net.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Exactly what is it?
    My lad is a lefty and might be interested.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Unless the lever is opening to the left as well as any or no discernable cast then the gun is not a true left hander! You can get OU guns cast and set up for left handed use but I expect if you ask the importers with the serial number then they will tell you if the gun was made specifically for left or normal ambi use!
    • Like Like x 1