Dodgy data packs.

Put the SIM into the phone and call 999.

When they ask what the emergency is, tell the operator you don't know what the phone number is you're calling from and can they read it back to you...

Call *#100# from the mobile device with the SIM in.

Not possible from an iPad. Need to have it in a phone. No voice calling app on iPads.

There is a *much* more complicated scenario where a Three data-only SIM might show a “phone number” in a phone, but that might very well not be a genuine phone number due to how Three does GSM calls, not having a GSM network and all. But let’s not go there :)

Not possible from an iPad. Need to have it in a phone. No voice calling app on iPads.

There is a *much* more complicated scenario where a Three data-only SIM might show a “phone number” in a phone, but that might very well not be a genuine phone number due to how Three does GSM calls, not having a GSM network and all. But let’s not go there :)

Are you 100% on that. iPads can have WiFi calling the code is a standard code to display certain SIM info.
Unless he has a gen0 pad he should be able to activate it and use that feature.

Are you 100% on that. iPads can have WiFi calling the code is a standard code to display certain SIM info.
Unless he has a gen0 pad he should be able to activate it and use that feature.

Wi-Fi calling relies on using your phone’s SIM. I’m certain it’s not possible to use a GSM iPad’s SIM for voice or SMS features. It’ll do SMS-by-proxy through the phone, same for voice, but not using its own SIM.

I’ve got two iPads, but neither are GSM-enabled, so can’t test.

One small thing in the back of my mind is that my original iPad “gen 0” that I got the day they came out, was GSM enabled, and my AT&T bill did have a phone number for it. But I think that was to do with AT&T’s billing systems that couldn’t issue a bill for a mobile subscription with no phone number associated. I tried calling it once and it just went to fast busy as per any other non-existent number.

Dunno, this is way beyond @awol’s use case.

Awol

LE
Wi-Fi calling relies on using your phone’s SIM. I’m certain it’s not possible to use a GSM iPad’s SIM for voice or SMS features. It’ll do SMS-by-proxy through the phone, same for voice, but not using its own SIM.

I’ve got two iPads, but neither are GSM-enabled, so can’t test.

One small thing in the back of my mind is that my original iPad “gen 0” that I got the day they came out, was GSM enabled, and my AT&T bill did have a phone number for it. But I think that was to do with AT&T’s billing systems that couldn’t issue a bill for a mobile subscription with no phone number associated. I tried calling it once and it just went to fast busy as per any other non-existent number.

Dunno, this is way beyond @awol’s use case.
Just for the record, it’s an iPad 3 from, I think, 2013.