Dodgy 7.62 x 51 ammo

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Alsacien, Nov 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Just got given a bag full of assorted iffy ammo, which I may or may not blatt off through my SLR, knowing what a bunch of spotters we are I thought I would share the fun:

Small red tip bullet, green ring around case neck. 2 sets of markings: 7.62 x 51 MS 226-61 and 7.62 x 51 DAG 106-60. Jerry tracer?

Orange tip bullet, marked LG 61 and a small circular symbol that may be 4 dots arranged in a square. I think this is tracer.

Large red tipped bullet. 2 sets of markings: K59 L5A1 and RG 64 7.62 L5 A3. I think these are also tracer.

2. The green ring around the case neck is, I believe, just a waterproofing seal the same as the primer rim

Just blat it and find out, for extra effect fire into some dry grasslands :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Go on, you know you want to do a night shoot.
  4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

That is actually what I was thinking..... but I would be stuck with 100mtrs if I wanted to keep it legit......which I may not want to...
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

So as nobody is giving me any scary monster stories I guess this stuff is not likely to blow my face off when punted out of an SLR?
  6. I'v shot a lot worse looking Mil surplus than that, be nothing wrong with it, dont just blat it away, find something to perforate or blow-up like large drink bottle full of water, tracer looks cool bouncing off things.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The RG should be ok...not sure what the others are though..greek maybe...German...**** knows, just blat it off but clean well afterwards just in case the primers are corrosive...doubt that they are though.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. D.A.G is boxhead.
  9. From the pictures you have produced the ammo looks in good condition for it's age.

Both DAG and LG have previously been in service.

Personally I would check each round and bin any that have cracks, dents or corrosion.

My only other concern would be the viability of the propellant. There should be no problem, but being nitrocellulose based it is possible that it could break down over the 50 years of the ammo's life.

You'll be used to the report when you fire a round, I would advise anything out the ordinary stop, strip and check your weapon, it wouldn't be unusual to have a bullet stuck up the pipe if the propellant has somehow been effected.

Now where to I send my consultation bill to?
    • Like Like x 3
  10. LG or LC? LC is US Lake City Army Ammo Plant the circle is a NATO cross inside, not 4 dots
    LC 61 1961 manufacture

EDIT: We use an Orange tip for tracer. red lac on primer ring, thats M62 Tracer
  11. Send it to DBA Liverpool
  12. I've been using DAG FMJ & a few cases of Radway L2A2 17-8-84 through my NM M1A and the DAG bullets are I presume Nickled jackets but I cant find info to confirm that.
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Could be LC - I had to give them a rub with Brasso as there was a bit of non corrosive crud there.

Vintage ammo 50 years old! Cool......
  14. What ever it is it will be more reliable than this shite :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  15. I do not believe any US 7.62 was made with Corrosive Primers unlike the Wartime .30-06.

here some specs for it
    7.62mm (7.62 x 51 mm) Ammunition