Doctrine question - differences between operating environments

I'm after a steer for how Army land doctrine varies between operating environments. Take something like infantry tactics. Is there one big book with every environment getting a chapter, ie deserts, mountain, arctic, jungle - or is there a central infantry doctrine, and separate documents on deserts, mountain, arctic and jungle?

I don't want to go into too much detail, but I have been exposed to some thinking on a subject at work that there can be a single world wide piece that covers UK and deployed ops, whereas I'm sort of thinking that the differences in our 'business area' between home and deployed is so markedly significant, it is like the difference between arctic and desert.

So I'm trying to find out how land thinking breaks it down by way of comparison, if you see what I mean. Can't access any work systems at the mo, yes I've used the search facility.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There were definitely different ones for jungle, desert, mountain etc because I recall reading some of them - or you had your annual Telic reports which and everything from after action reviewed to sops, etc.

I'm after a steer for how Army land doctrine varies between operating environments. Take something like infantry tactics. Is there one big book with every environment getting a chapter, ie deserts, mountain, arctic, jungle - or is there a central infantry doctrine, and separate documents on deserts, mountain, arctic and jungle?

I don't want to go into too much detail, but I have been exposed to some thinking on a subject at work that there can be a single world wide piece that covers UK and deployed ops, whereas I'm sort of thinking that the differences in our 'business area' between home and deployed is so markedly significant, it is like the difference between arctic and desert.

So I'm trying to find out how land thinking breaks it down by way of comparison, if you see what I mean. Can't access any work systems at the mo, yes I've used the search facility.
At the level of strategy (which is all about figuring out Brit National Goals And How To Achieve Them, then allocating resources and accountabilities (HaHa) for achieving said goals, the physical environment is pretty much irrelevant. It's all about about Ends and Means.

At the Tactical level (certainly Bn, Bde and Div, possibly Corps) the physical environment requires close attention because it absolutely dictates the Tactics Techniques and Procedures, the weapons and equipment - the entire yaddayaddayadda - demands that Ways are understood: as in "How the fvck are we gonna make this work?"

How well is this documented in 2019? I haven't a clue. But I will tell you that we didn't have a post-1945 Desert Warfare tactical doctrine publication until GW1. On a shelf in my study I have one of the handful of copies that were issued to HQ 1 (Br) Corps in the last months of its life. I've read a few bits of it, I'm reasonably confident I was one of its most devoted consumers :-D

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer

If you're serving, try the gateway. If your not serving, you don't need to know.

If you're serving, try the gateway. If your not serving, you don't need to know.
How, then, are we who no longer serve to understand how badly/how well you are doing your job?

Must we simply wait until the next Dunkirk/Suez/retreat from failure in Iraqifghanistan whilst the never-deployed-in-anger Typhoons of the RAF overfly the Silverstone Grand Prix, and swallow the shiite published by the MoD?

21st Century. Get with the programme.

Last edited:
U.S. Army Ranger school tests in Urban, Desert, Mountains and Swamp. Before I went, I studied a TM called Dismounted Tactics - or something close to that.

At the level of strategy (which is all about figuring out Brit National Goals And How To Achieve Them, then allocating resources and accountabilities (HaHa) for achieving said goals, the physical environment is pretty much irrelevant. It's all about about Ends and Means.

At the Tactical level (certainly Bn, Bde and Div, possibly Corps) the physical environment requires close attention because it absolutely dictates the Tactics Techniques and Procedures, the weapons and equipment - the entire yaddayaddayadda - demands that Ways are understood: as in "How the fvck are we gonna make this work?"
I think it's not that simple at strategic level and possibly simpler at tactical level. I.e. the physical environment always has an impact and some tactics are pretty much universal. Taking a couple of very specific examples; if we had an army optimised for high intensity mechanised warfare our ability to intervene in a jungle environment would be very limited; but tactically I'm going to find, fix, and manoeuvre to the flanks pretty much anywhere I meet the enemy. There will be examples of the contrary as well.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
You obviously missed the part of my post that read: "Can't access any work systems at the mo"...
The Defence gateway is accessed via the internet so any pc or smart device, anywhere there is internet access.

Assuming that you're entitled to a Defence Gateway account, this has a number of publications that you are probably looking for:

Defence Gateway -> AKX Online -> British Army Electronic Battle Box -> Combined Arms Doctrine -> Environmental