"Doctors and Nurses"

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
That got you interested you dirty minded lot.

As some of you may know, I've struggled most of my life with mental health issues, but never before been admitted to hospital for a physical illness, so when I got the galloping shits and a temperature of 39.5 I thought it was time to go to the hossy as I felt something might be a bit wrong (being me, I thought I was going to expire).

The prompt assessment and care I received from the nurses and HCAs was exemplary, with kindness understanding and good humour. Nothing was too much trouble. But what is it with the doctors who pop in for five minutes with their entourage and then write a discharge letter full of innacuracies.

I know most of them do a grand job under difficult circumstances and perhaps I should have read the letter and corrected it, but I was in no fit state of mind or physical fitness to do so - all I wanted to do was get home with my bag of meds and sit in the shade with gallons of water and fags.

Anyone else experienced this? It's probably trivia in my case, but could make a lot of difference to another patient!

Slack drills, no photos of nurses in suspenders

My last visit to hospital was given a questionaire to complete prior to leaving. Various questions such as:

How would you rate your stay at ********* medical assessment unit?

Would you reccomend ********* medical assessment unit to your friends & family?

Like I'm gonna say to someone: "Really- you should consider being a patient at ***** its great!"

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yes

The "entourage" are often medical students having what is known as "bedside teaching" from the consultant.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
The "entourage" are often medical students having what is known as "bedside teaching" from the consultant.

Really? Fcuk me I never knew that.

Drift

I was sitting at home the other day when there was a loud knocking at my front door. I opened it to see one of my neighbours stood there with a very angry look about him. He said “I’ve just found your son and my daughter playing “Doctors and Nurses!”

I said “how old is your daughter” to which he replied “eight”; I said “my son’s eight too, it’s no big deal. They’re just normal kids doing normal stuff”

He replied “Normal stuff? Normal stuff? HE’S JUST TAKEN OUT HER FÜCKING APPENDIX!”

And you chose to become ill in the most under-manned part of medicine - acute general medicine. No f*cker wants to do it at Med School, few want to do it fulltime thereafter, and those that are doing it are doing it because it leads to cooler things like cardiology.

Be more interesting next time.

Norsemaid

Old-Salt
I hope you are on the mend now and feeling a little less fragile .
As for hospital letters etc yes there have been times I've wondered whether I was on a different planet altogether and other times they made sense .
Yes I ve had the consultant plus minions rabbiting on and the students looking as though they were competing in some parallel university challenge complete with the Dr Smith St Mary's and the famous " starter for 10" announcers.
The patients thoughts, feelings and accounts are almost dismissed in some cases and then it's come back to bite them !

Anyone else experienced this?
Yes. Frequently.

Last occasion was just after Covid kicked off. I had a bit of an "episode" feeling listless, nauseous, a bit faint and my heart didn't seem "right" despite my pulse and blood oxygen seeming OK. I couldn't fault the care and attention given in the A&E ward over the course of 6 hours or so. Every new doctor or nurse who turned up asked whether I'd experienced chest pains to which I replied no and added that I also hadn't had shoulder pains (which had been a major symptom of a heart attack I'd had several years earlier). Yet my discharge letter (which I viewed on-line) said that chest pains were my major symptom.

Not the first time they got it wrong. One cost me dearly (financially). When claiming compensation for an industrial injury, I had to make a statement about the effects of the injury and describe previous injuries. It took a while to get the dates right but in this I was helped a bit by letters I'd sent to my GP when consultants had made errors in letters to my GP. Naively, I though that my letters would be put on file. Later in the compensation procedure, my medical records (civvy and TA) were pulled and compared against my statement. You'd think there were 3 different people involved. The civvy notes had no record of my correcting letters - it appears that only records by healthcare professionals get included. The TA notes show me as a super athlete with never a problem despite having been referred to hospitals in FI and Ascension for X-rays, one of which caused problems for years afterwards. My barrister recommended accepting a £60k drop in my compensation claim as it would appear to the magistrate (who would take the medical records as Gospel) that I was making up the effects of my injury.

Bitter? Me?

War Hero
Drift

I was sitting at home the other day when there was a loud knocking at my front door. I opened it to see one of my neighbours stood there with a very angry look about him. He said “I’ve just found your son and my daughter playing “Doctors and Nurses!”

I said “how old is your daughter” to which he replied “eight”; I said “my son’s eight too, it’s no big deal. They’re just normal kids doing normal stuff”

He replied “Normal stuff? Normal stuff? HE’S JUST TAKEN OUT HER FÜCKING APPENDIX!”
Are you some sort of dinosaur? Can't you see what was obviously wrong? Where is your modern man/Woke warrior/equal opportunity dad vibe?

Clearly she should be pretending to be the "Doctor", and your lad should be the "Nurse".

There. That's you properly edumacated now. Watch "Casualty" for further enlightenment about the role of a caring male senior nurse.

Blogg

LE
Drift

Ah yes, little Hannibal is such a scamp.

No, but then I was a proper patient, none of this namby pamby stuff.

It also helps that there were a lot of military nurses around. Military nurses have no issues in telling Doctors off.

War Hero
No, but then I was a proper patient, none of this namby pamby stuff.

It also helps that there were a lot of military nurses around. Military nurses have no issues in telling Doctors off.
... and you still have a valid "excused boots" biff chit. ;)

Mrs Gleebles was signed off for discharge following surgery on her lung cancer, and when they started the cheery goodbyes, she asked when they'd remove all the tubes and gubbins sticking out of her.

Ahh!