Doctor as an OR

Doc Badger

Clanker
I was a private soldier in the reserves for a good bit before I went to uni to study medicine. I was wondering if anyone knows of any precedent for a doctor staying in the ranks? Not necessarily filling a medical role.

Of course: Tropper was moonlighting as a Visiting Professor at Trinity during "the troubles"...

Oyibo

LE
There was one in the Parachute Regiment who joined as a tom. But he was eventually pursuaded to take a commission and be an RMO.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I was a private soldier in the reserves for a good bit before I went to uni to study medicine. I was wondering if anyone knows of any precedent for a doctor staying in the ranks? Not necessarily filling a medical role.

Given the skills and abilities that you now possess, and given that the Reserves now regularly deploy on operations, do you not feel that you have some vocational responsibility to serve where you can do the most good?

Given the skills and abilities that you now possess, and given that the Reserves now regularly deploy on operations, do you not feel that you have some vocational responsibility to serve where you can do the most good?
Alternative view, you want a second job that isn't just your day job in DPM, which is why I joined in the ranks, when both my educational level and management experience would have got me a commission. That said as a medic I suspect you're going to get some pretty heavy ear bending to encourage you to 'rethink'.

Doc Badger

Clanker
Cheers. :)

Thanks BeardyProf - I can imagine how enthusiastic the power that be in my unit would be if I raised this with them. Lol.

Doc Badger

Clanker
Cheers no-body, there's a lot about the MO job that I know I'd enjoy. I've considered going regular too. I'll just bear the job in mind.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Alternative view, you want a second job that isn't just your day job in DPM, which is why I joined in the ranks, when both my educational level and management experience would have got me a commission. That said as a medic I suspect you're going to get some pretty heavy ear bending to encourage you to 'rethink'.

I doubt your education and management experience was a transferable military skill of the value and comparative rarity of a qualified doctor. I further doubt that it had the potential to cause a significant conflict between the requirements of your military role in an operational environment and your professional and moral responsibilities when faced with casualties.

I don't think you go public on that front. I got round it by deliberately joining the sort of unit where I wasn't wanted in the officer's mess because I wasn't called Twisleton-Wicks, hadn't gone to public school etc. but that option isn't as easy for you as they want to re-badge you anyway.

I doubt your education and management experience was a transferable military skill of the value and comparative rarity of a qualified doctor. I further doubt that it had the potential to cause a significant conflict between the requirements of your military role in an operational environment and your professional and moral responsibilities when faced with casualties.
No I was just trying to make the point there are other reasons to join the reserves.

I don't think you go public on that front. I got round it by deliberately joining the sort of unit where I wasn't wanted in the officer's mess because I wasn't called Twisleton-Wicks, hadn't gone to public school etc. but that option isn't as easy for you as they want to re-badge you anyway.

I wasn't aware the Oath had a get-out clause, which I think is what FF is driving at.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No problem as a pte/nco but make sure you don't stay too long and go time expired for commission. If you have had lots of study/professional time a bit of a change is good. Most of the best TA officers I met in a 42 year career had been willing to serve in the ranks first. Dustcart in BAOR, Green Goddess in Glascow and emptying an acre of POL cans in rain all character forming for a young man (or so they told me).

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Since I'm not sure which oath your'e thinking of I'll have to pass on this one.

Hippocratic Oath? "First do no harm" or some such words.

M

MotorBoat

If 'deployment' is what you are after, why not consider working for one of the many aid agencies around the world in places that need it. You can use these skills in an challenging environment without being in green...

Latest Threads