Doc Martens?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by JT0475, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If I remember correctly, the military back in the 80's had a right downer on wearing Docs, even out in the field. Does anyone remember or know what the reason for this was? I wear a pair now and they are reasonably sturdy, comfortable and I would have thought that with little modification would have been a decent replacement for the DMS at the time instead of the BCH we got.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so I should probably be working....

2. Oxblood red wasn't very covert was it.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Doc Marten boots were made of soft leather with air soles for people with bad feet! They do not give the correct support and are no where near hard wearing enough!

4. Carry flicknives?

5. Don't laugh as I'm not that old! but in the 70's, we were allowed to wear them them in RGJ....I had a pair of 10 hole that I'd worn as a civvy. Tbh they were pretty shite in the field if it was wet as the tread didn't give much traction...I rememeber wearing a pair while training in Brecon for the SE District Patrol comp and sliding all over the place, but they were ok for Urban patrols once worn in, much like any other footwear.

I may have been lucky but found that all the issued boots did ok by me, DMS, Urban Patrol boots, Junglies, even the first issue BCH and those since, fitted me ok and gave me none of the problems that some others had with them.

Maybe they just hadn't taken their 'man the feck up' pills?

6. The tread pattern isn't very deep and soon wears smooth. The sole pattern cloggs up easily and they soon become slippy on wet grass. Compare the tread to Either the Avon rubber Company "commando" sole pattern or the Dunlop sole of DMS and the difference is huge.

However, for a while Doc Martens were used as "Northern Ireland" Urban patrol boots, IIRC.

7. Thanks for the comments fellas. All seem reasonable enough. :)

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so I should probably be working....

8. The air cushioned soles used to get easily punctured which made the boot unstable iirc. Also they 'gave' quite a lot and were just sloppy - much like myself.

9. Only flids carry flick knives with their feet :wink:

10. They also leak.

11. Flids leak?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hi

Like others, I got a pair of doc martens for a tour in West Belfast in 1977. The day before we departed the RSM paraded us all on the square for some final words of advice and as RSMs like to, he then went down the ranks ripping the occasional head off as he went and then stopped when he got to me when we noticed i had a pair of doc martens on.

Much to my surprise instead of ruining my day, he wanted to know if my boots were comfortable as he was thinking of getting a pair himself when he finished work later that afternoon. A rather an odd unexpected experience at the time and the green light for others to dash out for their own last minute purchases.

Looking back, it was more about looking good, rather than being practical. The were indeed comfortable but after a month or two of day on day off patrolling for hours at a time, they lost their tread and when it rained you were prone to slipping all over the place. Towards the end of the tour DMS boots reappeared as the Doc Martens ceased to be wearable.

Gerryb

13. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Not great for street sprinting in the wet....good for kicking though, allegedly.

14. I had to return to No1 PTS to keep my 'Q' annotation in date and noticed that the staff had been issued with Docs. The French para boot was replaced by this model for instructional duties around the hangar. A bit iffy in parachuting under a round canopy with them, however no issues with the square. That would have been in the late '70's.

15. they always leak...and lick windows...and like red balloons

mind you, docs could be classed as safety footwear for flids and remfs