Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you tolerate people speaking other languages than English in England?

Do you tolerate people speaking other languages than English in England?

• No. They should speak English or go home.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I accept that it is hard for foreigners to speak Queens English. Simplified English would be enough

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Partially tolerate. But they should try to speak English anyway.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • Anybody has right to speak language he(she) prefers.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • The British themselves should learn other languages - Arabic, Polish...

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
Speak whatever dialect, language or wigger chav speak folk wish, however if speaking to me and they wish me to engage/listen then my mindset is:

He had such a voice for bed time stories.

Not only do I not tolerate them not speaking English over here, I go positively ballistic at them not speaking English when I'm "over there".
I mean I' m wearing my UJ shorts and my England football shirt. It's not as if they think I'm foreign!
No matter how loudly I shout, they still don't know the way to the beach FFS!

There are supposedly 2000 fluent Cornish language speakers, i think it is safe to say neither you or i are in that number.

That song lied then!

Slime

LE
" as opposed to getting their arses handed to them). "
Every army that goes into Afghanistan gets their arses handed to them
OK, I see the point you're making

To be fair, you reinforced the point.
Armies have had their arses handed to them for quite some time, some on multiple occasions over a period of many many decades or even a century.

The difference being that their governments don’t pretend no fighting has occurred, or that there haven’t been casualties.

That song lied then!

You Sir are besmirching the name of the parish priest who wrote this song,
Only possible lie was the number 20000, as Cornish Army had been on 'operations' on several fronts over that Tamar river and beyond and had suffered some losses of personnel.

There are supposedly 2000 fluent Cornish language speakers, i think it is safe to say neither you or i are in that number.

That's 2000 members of the CNLA then

Hm Tricky one that. How do Russians feels about people in Russia not speaking Russian. I do obviously think there's an element of bad manners in certain circumstances but I'm sure there are those everywhere who take on the nuance and feel irritated. How does one say God save Putin?
Might be more instructive to ask if Russians tolerate people in Poland not speaking Russian.

That's 2000 members of the CNLA then

That was great.

Youy could get a real "Oh Ar Up the RAH!" out of that.

Much easier to get a chant out of that than "Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg"

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Tolerate? I don't care if im on the tube or train or street and I can hear English, Swahili, French or whatever. I do object to, as a tax payer, funding interpreters for people using the NHS or public services. To access these in theory you are a tax payer and staying in the UK, at which point to my mind you should be making every effort to learn the language (I accept A&E is different, if you're on a 2 week jolly and been run over its a bit much to become fully conversant in English for the doc, even though most tourists know enough anyway).
I've seen harassed docs in outpatients (not A&E) trying to explain to patients who clearly have little to no English, that they cant be seen, need to make an appointment or missed one that was already made. I also recall (think I may have mentioned it here) a guy of Bangladeshi origin who I used to sit next to. His English was perfect, but he said his parents (both Dad and Mum) still need interpreters even though they lived here since the 60's/70's. That I find hard to tolerate

A bheil thu airson '45 eile a thòiseachadh?
Oh FFS. Have another and sit doon.

Buckfast wine.JPG

That was great.

Youy could get a real "Oh Ar Up the RAH!" out of that.

Much easier to get a chant out of that than "Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg"

Come home to a real fire, wasn't that the Welsh anthem

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Might be more instructive to ask if Russians tolerate people in Poland
- Ukraine
-Latvia
-Lithuania
-Estonia
- Georgia
-Azerbaijan
-Moldova
-Chechnya
- Abkhazia
-Khazakstan
-Tajikistan
-Uzbekistan
- New Jersey
- Cyprus
-Malta
not speaking Russian.

Adjusted for accuracy.

It depends on situation.
Tourists as a rule don't speak Russian and people try to help them as much as possible. I myself was is such a situation many times.
Russian citizens (even not ethnically Russian) with rare exceptions speak Russian. Sometimes they know Russian language better than their own native one.
Migrants try to learn Russian as soon as possible. Because without basic knowledge in Russian it is impossible to find good job.
Next door flat is hired by a lad from Afghanistan. Now his Russian is on a very good level. It's business, nothing personal.
Generally there are no direct demands to speak only Russian even public places. But migrants just to survive, to get good job have to learn Russian. Many their children are Russian speaking and teach their parents.
The situation is simplified because there are no dialects in Russian.

This is what I have been led to believe. In England, however, you can travel 20 miles down the road and hear an entirely different dialect being spoken and that is the same throughout England for those native speaking English.

The UK has generally been a welcoming place for foreigners who wish to come here and settle but it is only good manners that those who do so make some attempt to learn a basic amount of English (that includes Americans ;)). I am also of the opinion that native English speakers should attempt to learn some small amount of the language of the country they live in if they decide to settle abroad.

The problem we have is that there are so many languages for us to choose from and I think it is generally considered that English is a world language and a language of international trade so the chances are we are going to bump into a foreigner who already speaks our language. Which foreign language should we choose to learn?

I know there are a few ARRSErs that speak other languages and some people have a talent for it that means they can pick up languages quite easily. I can't. I understand that Dutch is one of the easiest languages for a native English speaker to learn but I very recently started to learn Russian. Russian, being one of the more difficult foreign languages, I'm finding it slow going but also interesting all the same. Perhaps in about 4 or 5 years, if I manage to keep it up, I'll achieve some semblance of semi-fluency.

Other than the KGB collective, are there any other ARRSErs that speak Russian?

Unremarkable

War Hero
If people live in Britain they should speak English. I went to Wales once and they were all speaking llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.
Well that's nonsense on two levels:
1. Welsh speakers usually say Llanfair or Llanfair P.G.
2. By your logic, the Anglo Saxons should have learned South British, the immediate ancestor of Cornish (and superstrate language in Breton) or North British, ancestor of Welsh.

This is what I have been led to believe. In England, however, you can travel 20 miles down the road and hear an entirely different dialect being spoken and that is the same throughout England for those native speaking English.

The UK has generally been a welcoming place for foreigners who wish to come here and settle but it is only good manners that those who do so make some attempt to learn a basic amount of English (that includes Americans ;)). I am also of the opinion that native English speakers should attempt to learn some small amount of the language of the country they live in if they decide to settle abroad.

The problem we have is that there are so many languages for us to choose from and I think it is generally considered that English is a world language and a language of international trade so the chances are we are going to bump into a foreigner who already speaks our language. Which foreign language should we choose to learn?

I know there are a few ARRSErs that speak other languages and some people have a talent for it that means they can pick up languages quite easily. I can't. I understand that Dutch is one of the easiest languages for a native English speaker to learn but I very recently started to learn Russian. Russian, being one of the more difficult foreign languages, I'm finding it slow going but also interesting all the same. Perhaps in about 4 or 5 years, if I manage to keep it up, I'll achieve some semblance of semi-fluency.

Other than the KGB collective, are there any other ARRSErs that speak Russian?
The Great Victorian adventurer and war hero - Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC states in his memoirs (edited by George McDonald Fraser) that the best way to learn the local language in the places that he served. was to take a local filly as a mistress and you picked up the local lingo while you were tupping her silly.

It worked for him and it saved his bacon a few times when he needed to go undercover, when the S**t hit the fan.