Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you tolerate people speaking other languages than English in England?

Do you tolerate people speaking other languages than English in England?

• No. They should speak English or go home.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I accept that it is hard for foreigners to speak Queens English. Simplified English would be enough

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Partially tolerate. But they should try to speak English anyway.

Votes: 33 28.2%
  • Anybody has right to speak language he(she) prefers.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • The British themselves should learn other languages - Arabic, Polish...

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Don't know/Don't care

Votes: 15 12.8%

• Total voters
1580714976191.png

"Happy Brexit Day" notices telling residents "we do not tolerate" people speaking languages other than English have been posted at a block of flats.
The signs say: "We finally have our great country back... we do not tolerate people speaking other languages than English in the flats."
They go on to say "we are now our own country again" and the "Queens [sic] English is the spoken tongue here".
Queens English is not so easy to be spoken even by native English speakers.
However do you agree that foreigners either should speak English or go home?

Where's the "They're free to speak whatever language they wish, but should be able to understand and speak English (in whatever form), when dealing with the state" option.

Missed a trick there, Boris!!

Tha e làn de bhollagan.

If people live in Britain they should speak English. I went to Wales once and they were all speaking llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.

A bheil thu airson '45 eile a thòiseachadh?

It's nasty if anyone would put up a notice like that.

However, I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's a hoax either to wind people up or to evoke sympathy for the people to whom it's addressed.

However, I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's a hoax either to wind people up or to evoke sympathy for the people to whom it's addressed.
It could be a hoax
It could be someone’s idea of a joke
It could be a racist

Many people have spoken many languages in England, Britain and the UK

English is of course a bastardised language

@KGB_resident
I couldn’t care less what language anyone speaks

Well, when climbing the apples to sit on the Pilate to contemplate the universe and have a Tom Tit, I realised that this thread is total bollocks and couldn't give a Kate.

Fishbulb

Old-Salt

It does read a bit like a woke lefty's idea of what a "nasty little-englander bigot" would write

View attachment 447543

Queens English is not so easy to be spoken even by native English speakers.
However do you agree that foreigners either should speak English or go home?
Not in England, but I often recommend that gobshites who get upset about people not talking in English join me for a Saturday afternoon or evening drinking in the Park Bar, the Islay Inn and the street end of the Lismore, as the prospect of them being on the receiving end of a slap from a big Gaelic speaking teuchter for bitching about non English being spoken entertains me out of all proportion. Too be fair only one muppet has ever taken me up on the offer and he only got terrorised and mocked severely and not assaulted. Plus the Lismore's gent's are a work of art.
1580720767844.png

1580720912060.png

Well said Trigg, wish i had though of that on post No 2 , oh wait! :)
Then I should have made it clearer for you.
There is no doubt that the message existed, it's not fake news as I take you to imply in your posting no2
I am referring to the message itself.
There is a difference.

I prefer people to speak English but that is purely because I'm too idle to learn a foreign language.