Do you think this is damp / mould?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Looking at another house purchase.

Everything a 1 on home report, house lovely, but just spotted this. Note the blue staining. In one section, the wall paper bond has broken and it's loose from the wall.

Had a look upstairs and en suite is directly above but no obvious signs there.

House is rarely occupied. Wondering if it's a deeper problem or maybe just that bit of mould or damp an empty house will get. I wonder if it's been treated and it's stained the wall.

Thoughts?

IMG_20190611_172155-1392x1856.jpg
IMG_20190611_172049-1856x1392.jpg
IMG_20190611_172058-1856x1392.jpg

Looking at another house purchase.

Everything a 1 on home report, house lovely, but just spotted this. Note the blue staining. In one section, the wall paper bond has broken and it's loose from the wall.

House is rarely occupied. Wondering if it's a deeper problem or maybe just that bit of mould or damp an empty house will get. I wonder if it's been treated and it's stained the wall.

Thoughts?

View attachment 398097View attachment 398098View attachment 398099
How old is the house, please? What's the construction material - brick, stone?

Edit: mould is, generalising a bit, caused by a room being too cold or by a lack of circulating air. The patches you've indicated do look like the results of mould being treated. Is there scope to improve air circulation in the room?
Damp may not be directly related. I asked about age mainly to see if your property has a DPC. If not, I would suggest looking elsewhere, unless the property is in an elevated position and therefore ground water, rain etc may run away. Rising damp would not usually cause what you have pictured but not having a DPC is best avoided.

Last edited:
Looks like it might be. Need to check it with a moisture meter to be sure.

The ensuite needs looking at for leaks, so check under the bath/loo and also look for water staining on the floor boards.
Another possibility is penetrating damp, look outside at the rainwater goods, and check to see if there is cracking on the face of the wall on the downpipes - that's if there is a downpipe on the outside wall!

The old moisture meters will pick up high moisture content which could be as a result of condensation. So use in conjunction with the Mk1 eyeball.
Also, touch the areas. Damp plaster has a distinct, cold, feel and smell. At worst, damp plaster will yield slightly to a firm dig with a thumb.
It would be interesting to know if the heating was on when you visited - often a sign of a seller trying to hold the damp at bay.

As mentioned in one of your other property disaster threads, the first sign we had of a leak originating in the guest room ensuite was the hall ceiling giving up the struggle.

That was a very slow drip drip drip that we believe had been there before we bought Nomad Towers. The hall ceiling cost a couple or three hundred pounds to reinstate to its former glory. The collateral damage and and the shiny new ensuite, several thousands of pounds.

Anyway... just been up in the Borders... why are you lot foisting crabby McBanknotes on us even though we stayed firmly on the English side of the border where god intended all decent people to be. Consider your property woes as just retribution.

The old moisture meters will pick up high moisture content which could be as a result of condensation. So use in conjunction with the Mk1 eyeball.
What I always do is test the same wall in several places & if the suspect area gives a higher reading, it's damp.

Yes, a cheap damp meter, especially the ones that give you % are a real boon, you can tell a problem, and it's general area by multiple probings.

This is mould:

C0C50015-0537-4E3A-BE31-EBD671E0D86A.jpeg

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
If anyone else posted I would have said for the right price go for and just fix the problems.

You though, run. Run fast and far. Where many have been Kissed on the head by Saint Joesph the Patron Saint of craftsmen you have had your Cup rimmed by him.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
How old is the house, please? What's the construction material - brick, stone?

Edit: mould is, generalising a bit, caused by a room being too cold or by a lack of circulating air. The patches you've indicated do look like the results of mould being treated. Is there scope to improve air circulation in the room?
Damp may not be directly related. I asked about age mainly to see if your property has a DPC. If not, I would suggest looking elsewhere, unless the property is in an elevated position and therefore ground water, rain etc may run away. Rising damp would not usually cause what you have pictured but not having a DPC is best avoided.
1950, brick.

I've just found out in the last half hour that the property spends three quarters of the year unoccupied - the owners are in Spain. So that may explain any mould or damp if there's limited heat in the house and no activity.

It's a cracking wee number - I've ordered a damp meter and will go back for a third viewing and probe a bit, just to make sure.

Whole boiler system will need upgraded too, it's an old Ideal Mexico boiler and hot water tank that looks as old as the house is.

Plus roof will need done.

Plus garden needs landscaped - i.e big ******* boulders bigger than me need to be either lifted or somehow pushed onto the nearby council grass.

However it just confirmed to me how corrupt and shit home report surveyors are. It was clearly obvious, and they 'never' saw it, so it doesn't feature on the report. Dodgy ******* bastards.

However as I've asked, they're obliged to go back and examine it too.

We'll probably put the offer in - we've been given the price that's right, so will come in 5k lower and then wiggle it up on content rather than house price if needs be.

Standby for the disaster report next month. :D

TamH70

MIA
1950, brick.

I've just found out in the last half hour that the property spends three quarters of the year unoccupied - the owners are in Spain. So that may explain any mould or damp if there's limited heat in the house and no activity.

It's a cracking wee number - I've ordered a damp meter and will go back for a third viewing and probe a bit, just to make sure.

Whole boiler system will need upgraded too, it's an old Ideal Mexico boiler and hot water tank that looks as old as the house is.

Plus garden needs landscaped - i.e big ******* boulders bigger than me need to be either lifted or somehow pushed onto the nearby council grass.

However it just confirmed to me how corrupt and shit home report surveyors are. It was clearly obvious, and they 'never' saw it, so it doesn't feature on the report. Dodgy ******* bastards.

We'll probably put the offer in - we've been given the price that's right, so will come in 5k lower and then wiggle it up on content rather than house price if needs be.

Have you ever thought about just living in a nice wee cave somewhere, where cold and damp aren't a problem, they're just what you have as standard? I keep reading these posts of yours expecting to find you've stumbled into buying Dracula's spare Scottish castle and he hasn't moved out yet, so you want to know what's the best wood to make a stake out of.

1950, brick.

House surveys are primarily a visual survey so, by definition, anything under floor boards or behind bath panels will not be seen. Given the age, the property should have a DPC (but check the survey) so that's good news. Purely based on the photos [which is highly risky!] I would endorse @pimpernel 's concern re. the ceiling - it looks more like damp than the wall, which seems to be mould. Hopefully as you say the house will be a good 'un but get that checked - ideally if you have the cash by a damp proofing company who can produce a report for you pronto. If there is a slight issue, the report could help in making a case for £ off.

Short survey about surveyors: I managed a Victorian site. The company paid for an external fabric survey. A surveyor spent a day completing a visual inspection. All good, he reported. The following day [literally] the front door portico fell off. Lesson learned there - a survey is useful but is not a guarentee.

Good luck with the purchase! :)

W P

LE
I wonder if there's a spare nuclear bunker for sale, or something else that's likely to withstand MrBane's attempts to improve it.

Damp Meh!! Buy the house and fix it but look under the floorboards first, if you have one of these then you have cause to worry, in fact you probably won't have time to post a picture.
1560280925224.png

BTW your average "survey" ain't worth shit. What you need is a structural inspection, which will cost several times more but cover all aspects & unlike the standard survey, you have grounds for claim if they miss something.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wafubustard DIY 4
diplomat Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
Bris Finance, Property, Law 47

Latest Threads