Do you think caffeine affects your mood/performance?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gobbyidiot, Jul 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had noisy neighbour aggro for two nights last week, so I thought, cut out the tea and coffee and ensure a good sleep the next night. Normally I'm on a pint of mental coffee in the morning and pints of tea thereafter.

Now f'kin hell, a couple of summers ago I had horrendous insomnia and low mood (I'd been f*cked about royally on a range of fronts) and I jacked in the caffeine to try and get some sleep. I'm now thinking that (at least as far as the low mood was concerned) it might have made it worse. 48 hours no caffeine this week and all the black, black, blaaaaaaaaack thoughts were crowding into my head. In addition, last nights bike session was a nightmare, suffered like a dog, and this morning's treadmill session I wasn't just bent forward on the recoveries, it was as if I was trying to get my head between my knees.

Three pints of strong tea and I feel a lot more positive. Unbelievable. I'm tempted to try Ritalin :)
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Don't worry too much mate. You are just a normal nutter :twisted:
  3. I've been reading all these philosophy books, and once you start down the road of, "The universe exploded, shit cooled, stuff happened, all the stuff that happens could in principle be predicted from the initial state of the universe plus a knowledge of the physical laws, every sound you make is a reverberation of the big bang, at some point there will be a big crunch and the minerals dispersed around the world from your body after death will reconfigure, you will come back to life, sh*t will go up your arse and food will fly out of your mouth............"

This man needs a quadruple espresso

......and a slap :lol: .
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Well I certainly agree with the last 3 words.
  5. You wonder how much alcohol, nicotine and caffeine is self-medication. People try things and if they remedy a problem they stick with it. If you give alcoholics GABA it can dramatically reduce their craving for alcohol. 99% of schizophrenics smoke because they chemicals reduce the severity of the symptoms. Thinking about it I've got relatives who consume buckets of caffeine, I've always had low cholesterol, low heart-rate, low blood pressure............ A year off the caffeine and I still didn't feel right, and as soon as I had some I instantly felt better. I think self-medication is a massive issue/problem. The GABA/alcohol thing in particular is really interesting.
  6. My bold.. actually, my uncle can be totally lucid for hours but the second he comes back in from having a cigarette he will start talking bollox and hearing voices etc. So in his case it magnifies the symptoms ten fold.

I do agree with the caffeine thing though, I stay away from it as much as possible until I'm totally knackered and simply need it to function, at which point it becomes a nasty circle of increased consumption to counter the withdrawls. However, it does make you feel gooood..

I try to stick to tea/green tea instead but it's just not the same.