Do you swallow?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by putteesinmyhands, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought I’d share this.

I’m working in Holland at the moment and yesterday was struck down with a cold. Obviously, had I been a woman, it wouldn’t have affected me so much, but being a weakling male, I got back to my hotel room, had a very hot shower, downed a large whisky and went to bed. After a substantially sleepless night, I missed out on breakfast and went to the local shopping centre to wait for the chemist to open.

After vainly scanning the shelves for a familiar max strength cold relief, I caught the attention of the assistant. “Have you got anything for a cold?” I asked. As all the Dutch seem to speak English, I didn’t think that this would be too difficult to understand. Thinking back, “Hab do god eddytig foe code?” probably stumped her.

I resorted to miming, all the while thinking back to the 70’s Army advert which depicted a soldier miming a chicken while trying to scrounge an egg from a German farmeress. I haven’t had so much fun since I mimed “antihistamines” in a German chemist.

The assistant came up with a packet of tablets and said “Influenza.” Being aware that in her situation, I’d have handed over a packet of anal suppositories and had a good laugh afterwards, I checked the list of ingredients. Paracetamol, caffeine and Vitamin C. Sounds just the job.

I paid her and dashed back to the hotel to get some water to help me swallow them when a thought came to mind. Can I swallow them or do they have to be dissolved? I looked at the instructions (all in Dutch) and identified that the dosage was 2-4 tablets per some word that I couldn’t translate, with a maximum of 12 tablets per another word that I didn’t recognise. The word “water” was in there somewhere, but I couldn’t work out whether it was “take with water” or “dissolve in water.”

No problem. I’ll ask the girl on the hotel reception. I held the packet out with my finger on the instructions and asked “Do you swallow?” As the last word left my lips, I realised what I’d just asked. When she replied “Yes,” I couldn’t resist but ask “And the tablets?”

2. Classic, Puttees! :D

3. Do tell puttees!

4. Thank you Puttees.....tee hee...

5. well............................................. did she ????

6. If you had a cold they probably already thought you were speaking Dutch.

7. A second-class return to Dottingham, please.

8. A single to Oegstgeest might cause more problems.

9. :D :D :D :D

10. Puttees,that was rather a very daft question.
    You had to know that all Dutch women swallow.or is that just my imagination

Did she get that twinkle in her eyes when you asked her? :p

11. Good job it wasn't French pills, or I suppose you'd have asked her "do you take itup the a*se?"

12. Stick the pill in a glass of water if it wont dissolve, then its obvious.
    Its a suppository

13. And then insert.

Remembering to wash the glass thoroughly afterwards.

14. Aah, so that's what being glassed means, I don't feel so cut up now

15. Probably no need for ice and a slice.