Do you really have to be a meathead to be a para?!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by dimebag87, Apr 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys!

A random question here i know, But do you really have to be a body builder to be in the paras?When i turn to certain people and say im mad about being in the regiment they say no chance because im not big enough to which i think **** ya im going to prove you wrong!But still i wonder. Could someone with some real insight plaese help me out on this. I am somewhere between a ectomorph and mesomorph type build(Not the skinniest going basically) 11 stone fairly low body fat percentage and about 5 ft 10.

Many thanks

2. I'm told by my grandpa (ex para himself) that most paras are short, stocky types. I'm six foot four, and not too stocky, and I'm certainly not a meathead, and I'm going to try my damnedest to get in to it. When I met a few paras from their recruiting team they all seemed like pretty normal blokes, so I guess all you need is reasonable fitness and a load of grit and determination.

3. Cheers for you reply mate. I think you have to be a little more than reasonably fit though. Im reasonably fit now but not at all ready for selection(1.5 run time being the one to work on most). Good luck trying mate.

4. That was understatement there. 1.5 miler in under 9:10 and you're fit enough. I'm aiming for 9 flat.

5. T.L

T.L Swinger

Have you considered the RAF reg't and 2sq? I had a brief stint there but was too young and immature 5 years on and I'm looking at either dog handler or back to the reg't. I learnt (however may have changed) that the sas will only select from paras and RAF reg't 2sq, worth a look?

6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

To the hole!

• Like Like x 1

7. wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its a bit early for popcorn and a comfy chair, I'm waiting on Fally and 5A to chime in!

9. You do not have to be like Charles Atlas mate..

Your size & weight seems about fine.

It's all about fitness, grit & determination.

The willingness & ability to go that mile further, when all around you have jumped on the Jack wagon.

P Company is Easy!...............................If you're Fit & not a Jackman!

10. Sniff....Sniff....

11. Cheers for your reply mate but the RAF 2 squadron isn't for me(even if you do do p company). To where that maroon beret would give me a boner the size of three men put together so my interest still stands with the paras and the infantry.

12. T.L

T.L Swinger

Sorry I'm not mentally challenged enough to get the joke. I'm sure it's extremely hilarious and well thought out though :) Aww..

13. T.L

T.L Swinger

Fair enough dimebag, obviously the paras are more highly regarded due to historical efforts, I'd love the challenge but I'm probably too soft :)

14. That was understatement there. 1.5 miler in under 9:10 and you're fit enough. I'm aiming for 9 flat.

Yeh that's good mate. Well right now i can do 2 miles in 14 which isn't amazing i know. What do you do to lower your run time e.g hill running sprints etc?

15. Fair enough dimebag, obviously the paras are more highly regarded due to historical efforts, I'd love the challenge but I'm probably too soft :)

Well at the end of the day your still doing the same training, but just not joining the there regt. But i suppose on what you mean as a whimp lol If your not some over sensitive shy type then why not just ******* go for it!!