Do you need to pass the swim test to join the Royal Tank Regiment (or the household cavalry)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And if so what is the test, google hasn't told me anything. I want to join the royal tank regiment and want to figure out how much I need to practice swimming

Only if your initials are DD.

All the British Forces want their troops to be able swim. You will be given help to reach a certain standard.
Think about it, your CR2 gets knocked out (not likely to happen) and you have to swim a river to get back. It’s an improbable situation but you never know!

ps You are choosing the correct Regt, good luck mate. Fear Naught

YES... you need dunker training as well.... they now ship the crew and the tank seperatly.... and the tank don't go boom without the crew.

Last edited:

dontenn

War Hero
you need a swim test as part of your army basic trg if you cannot swim you will be taught, to the standard doggy paddle in coveralls. things may have changed these days. i am going back 20 years.

you need a swim test as part of your army basic trg if you cannot swim you will be taught, to the standard doggy paddle in coveralls. things may have changed these days. i am going back 20 years.
Doggy paddle is not a permitted stroke. Neither is backstroke anymore. Front crawl or beast stroke only.

The_Duke

LE
Thread tidied - remember, your answer has to be accurate, up to date and help to answer the question asked.

Comedy attempts to the NAAFI and reminiscing to the old and bold board.

dontenn

War Hero
Doggy paddle is to not a permitted stroke. Neither is backstroke anymore. Front crawl or beast stroke only.
[/QUOTE

I used to teach the subject, this is a swimming test, getting through the length by any means, not a stroke test

There are literally hundreds of people who cant swim in the Army, there are various courses and training, but unless your unit/garrison has a pool, few people can be arsed with it.
It used to be you couldnt pass out if you couldnt swim, now if you dont learn in training, you still pass out.
If you cant pass a military swim test, you will not be allowed to do certain AT activities.

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Just to add to the above and to help put your mind at ease-
The swimming assessment is designed to ensure you can safely swim if required. Those who do not pass will receive remedial training. Those who fail to pass the assessment during phase 1 will have it logged on their record. It is not the end of the world.

The test is as follows -
Enter the pool in a step in manner
Tread water for 2 minutes
Swim 100 meters in a front facing stroke without touching the sides or bottom
Exit the pool.

It's not a proper stroke and not allowed anymore. I had to retake my swim test in the pool at Aldershot in March last year. The SMI was quite clear that the only two acceptable strokes were frontcrawl or breaststroke. You could, however, do breastroke with frontcrawl leg kicks.

There are literally hundreds of people who cant swim in the Army, there are various courses and training, but unless your unit/garrison has a pool, few people can be arsed with it.
It used to be you couldnt pass out if you couldnt swim, now if you dont learn in training, you still pass out.
If you cant pass a military swim test, you will not be allowed to do certain AT activities.
Does that mean on Jungle Training in Belize or Brunei you would not be able to do river crossings. What about the Gurkhas, a few of them must be non-swimmers?

Does that mean on Jungle Training in Belize or Brunei you would not be able to do river crossings. What about the Gurkhas, a few of them must be non-swimmers?
I wouldnt class jungle training as AT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads