Do You Live in a Marginal Seat?

#1
Given the way our electoral system works, as usual the general election is likley to be won and lost in a relatively small number of marginal constituencies and if you are lucky enough to live in one, your vote will carry much more power than those of people who live in areas that are solidly controlled by one party or the other.

This is an interesting document that lists all seats in order of how marginal they are. Usefully, it also provides notional information to take into account the boundary changes that will come into effect before the election:

http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snsg-03373.pdf

A more concise list of marginal seats can also be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_constituencies_in_the_United_Kingdom

I live in Birmingham Edgbaston which not only tends to return MPs who belong to the winning Party, but is also a key battleground between the Tories and New Labour. As Gisela Stuart herself has said, if the Tories take Edgbaston, they take the election.
 
#2
So, who are you going to vote for? Or are you going to approach the various candidates and "hint" it could be worth their while to make a "contribution" to your personal charity :banned: :lol: :lol:
 
#3
Oh great, the future of the nation in the hands of Brummies...

On a serious note, can we really claim to be a democratic nation when this sort of situation exists? We may once have been at the forefront of representative government, but not any more. 18th Century methods rooted in 16th Century attitudes to governance.

We're long overdue radical change.
 
#4
I'm from Crawley where NuLabor have been in power for as long as I can remember, they only had a majority of 37 votes at the last election so hopefully this time they will be out on there arse

Not that the rest of them will be any better :x
 
#5
cursedveggie said:
I'm from Crawley where NuLabor have been in power for as long as I can remember, they only had a majority of 37 votes at the last election so hopefully this time they will be out on there arse

Not that the rest of them will be any better :x
For what it's worth I'm confident that none of them could possibly do any worse, the current government are of a magnitude of crap that is almost impossible to quantify. I can safely say that we have for some time been living through the worst government in living memory and quite possibly in recorded history. The end cannot come soon enough.
 
#6
Jaeger said:
For what it's worth I'm confident that none of them could possibly do any worse, the current government are of a magnitude of crap that is almost impossible to quantify. I can safely say that we have for some time been living through the worst government in living memory and quite possibly in recorded history. The end cannot come soon enough.
Personally, I would say those countries that have endured revolution in order to overthrow the government of the day would probably claim to have had it worse. Things are so bad in this country we get angry and spout off on an interweb forum. So I guess we are a LONG way back in those stakes.
 

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
Harlow, won by labour last time - majority of 97 over the Tories. UKIP votes - 2000. Lessons learnt by the Tories -0
 
#8
Well my vote is wasted. Whatever I do labour/limp dem still have a huge majority where I am as the work shy fcukers want to remain on their arrses and would probably text a vote in if they could.

I think I'll be spoiling mine!
 
#9
Bethnal Green & Bow

Galloway, G. majority-823

Ain't postal voting marvellous. From the 2005 election:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-18330425-postal-vote-fraud-fears-rise.do

"Hackney tops the league table of increases, with the council having issued 37,285 postal votes for its two constituencies — up 4,000 per cent. The borough has seen demand soar as a result of its 2002 council elections being conducted exclusively by postal voting in a government pilot scheme.

Barnet is second highest with 32,501. The average number of postal votes per borough is 16,862.

The figures emerged a week after the Standard revealed how the election is open to vote-rigging. A number of postal ballots for constituencies across London were obtained by a reporter without any apparent checks for fraud.

Last year’s local elections in Birmingham led to the sacking of six Labour councillors for postal fraud. The elections commissioner said the system “would disgrace a banana republic”.

Hackney South and Shoreditch, a safe Labour seat, will have the highest
umber of postal votes in the capital, with 19,456 issued.

Hackney North is second with 17,829. Third is the Lib-Dem marginal seat of Richmond Park.

Elsewhere, 6,600 postal votes have been issued in Bethnal Green and Bow, which is being contested by Oona King and George Galloway."
 
#10
wedge35 said:
As Gisela Stuart herself has said, if the Tories take Edgbaston, they take the election.
Had an interesting chat with one of our local Tories recently. Asked him if our constituency was really a marginal as it had been Labour. His response was that the MP returned in our constituency would determine whether the next Chancellor is George Osborne (Tory win) or Nick Clegg (hung parliament).
 
#11
HectortheInspector said:
Bethnal Green & Bow

Galloway, G. majority-823

Ain't postal voting marvellous. From the 2005 election:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-18330425-postal-vote-fraud-fears-rise.do

"Hackney tops the league table of increases, with the council having issued 37,285 postal votes for its two constituencies — up 4,000 per cent. The borough has seen demand soar as a result of its 2002 council elections being conducted exclusively by postal voting in a government pilot scheme.

Barnet is second highest with 32,501. The average number of postal votes per borough is 16,862.

The figures emerged a week after the Standard revealed how the election is open to vote-rigging. A number of postal ballots for constituencies across London were obtained by a reporter without any apparent checks for fraud.

Last year’s local elections in Birmingham led to the sacking of six Labour councillors for postal fraud. The elections commissioner said the system “would disgrace a banana republic”.

Hackney South and Shoreditch, a safe Labour seat, will have the highest
umber of postal votes in the capital, with 19,456 issued.

Hackney North is second with 17,829. Third is the Lib-Dem marginal seat of Richmond Park.

Elsewhere, 6,600 postal votes have been issued in Bethnal Green and Bow, which is being contested by Oona King and George Galloway."
Postal voting is basically ballot rigging and under Labour,a growth industry.
 
#12
HectortheInspector said:
Bethnal Green & Bow

Galloway, G. majority-823

Ain't postal voting marvellous. From the 2005 election:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-18330425-postal-vote-fraud-fears-rise.do

"Hackney tops the league table of increases, with the council having issued 37,285 postal votes for its two constituencies — up 4,000 per cent. The borough has seen demand soar as a result of its 2002 council elections being conducted exclusively by postal voting in a government pilot scheme.

Barnet is second highest with 32,501. The average number of postal votes per borough is 16,862.

The figures emerged a week after the Standard revealed how the election is open to vote-rigging. A number of postal ballots for constituencies across London were obtained by a reporter without any apparent checks for fraud.

Last year’s local elections in Birmingham led to the sacking of six Labour councillors for postal fraud. The elections commissioner said the system “would disgrace a banana republic”.

Hackney South and Shoreditch, a safe Labour seat, will have the highest
umber of postal votes in the capital, with 19,456 issued.

Hackney North is second with 17,829. Third is the Lib-Dem marginal seat of Richmond Park.

Elsewhere, 6,600 postal votes have been issued in Bethnal Green and Bow, which is being contested by Oona King and George Galloway."
See the post on Islamic infiltration of the Labour Party - Galloway only got in because of the IFE

Odo
 
#13
Bouillabaisse said:
Harlow, won by labour last time - majority of 97 over the Tories. UKIP votes - 2000. Lessons learnt by the Tories -0
Bill Rammell has been (I think) the MP there since Noah bought the instructional book "Woods that Float".
 
#14
Tewkesbury, about as un-marginal as you could get. Been Conservative for eon’s, Lib’s get a look in every couple of hundred years, and Labour may as well not bother turning up.


The Green’s made inroads at one of the elections, but that was due to appointing a tidy bit of totty to run for MP.
 
#15
"See the post on Islamic infiltration of the Labour Party - Galloway only got in because of the IFE"

Odo

Exactly Odo, watch out for a huge increase again in the forthcoming election, especially in constituencies with similar demographics! Why do you think "nulabour" have had a COVERT policy of mass immigration since they got into power! :evil:
 
#16
Odo_de_StAmand said:
HectortheInspector said:
Bethnal Green & Bow

Galloway, G. majority-823

Ain't postal voting marvellous. From the 2005 election:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-18330425-postal-vote-fraud-fears-rise.do

"Hackney tops the league table of increases, with the council having issued 37,285 postal votes for its two constituencies — up 4,000 per cent. The borough has seen demand soar as a result of its 2002 council elections being conducted exclusively by postal voting in a government pilot scheme.

Barnet is second highest with 32,501. The average number of postal votes per borough is 16,862.

The figures emerged a week after the Standard revealed how the election is open to vote-rigging. A number of postal ballots for constituencies across London were obtained by a reporter without any apparent checks for fraud.

Last year’s local elections in Birmingham led to the sacking of six Labour councillors for postal fraud. The elections commissioner said the system “would disgrace a banana republic”.

Hackney South and Shoreditch, a safe Labour seat, will have the highest
umber of postal votes in the capital, with 19,456 issued.

Hackney North is second with 17,829. Third is the Lib-Dem marginal seat of Richmond Park.

Elsewhere, 6,600 postal votes have been issued in Bethnal Green and Bow, which is being contested by Oona King and George Galloway."
See the post on Islamic infiltration of the Labour Party - Galloway only got in because of the IFE

Odo
See my posts on the same thread. Gorgeous George wasn't sat there with a biro.
Various 'village politicians' (including the IFE) got the vote out for him.

Although oddly enough, he appears to have asked for the suspension of postal voting in the 2005 election, because he thought that Labour was abusing it! Oona King, the Labour candidate, was apparently processing postal votes through the Laboutr Party office!

http://www.socialistreview.org.uk/article.php?articlenumber=9374

"George Galloway has written to the Electoral Commission and returning officers in Tower Hamlets, Newham and Birmingham calling for the suspension of postal voting in the general election."

It might be interesting to see George's views on electoral corruption http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=10810

"Like the minister, I am a former Labour Party official. I have been fighting elections for almost 40 years, almost always on the winning side. I know about elections. Now, for the first time in my political life, people ask me, "How do we know that they are counting these votes fairly? How do we know they are not rigging the election?" I am not saying that that is happening, but there is a systematic undermining of confidence in the electoral process, caused largely by postal vote fraud."
 
#17
Massive increase in use of postal votes in marginal working class seats - but not for the poor old military deployed on Operations.

Wouldn't want those nasty rough types voting they might have unacceptable traditional views!
 
#18
HectortheInspector said:
See my posts on the same thread. Gorgeous George wasn't sat there with a biro.
Various 'village politicians' (including the IFE) got the vote out for him.

Although oddly enough, he appears to have asked for the suspension of postal voting in the 2005 election, because he thought that Labour was abusing it! Oona King, the Labour candidate, was apparently processing postal votes through the Laboutr Party office!

http://www.socialistreview.org.uk/article.php?articlenumber=9374

"George Galloway has written to the Electoral Commission and returning officers in Tower Hamlets, Newham and Birmingham calling for the suspension of postal voting in the general election."

It might be interesting to see George's views on electoral corruption http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=10810

"Like the minister, I am a former Labour Party official. I have been fighting elections for almost 40 years, almost always on the winning side. I know about elections. Now, for the first time in my political life, people ask me, "How do we know that they are counting these votes fairly? How do we know they are not rigging the election?" I am not saying that that is happening, but there is a systematic undermining of confidence in the electoral process, caused largely by postal vote fraud."
All very interesting. I guess he realises the danger and may even appreciate the irony of being exposed to Asian voting fraud.
 
#19
clownbasher said:
HectortheInspector said:
See my posts on the same thread. Gorgeous George wasn't sat there with a biro.
Various 'village politicians' (including the IFE) got the vote out for him.

Although oddly enough, he appears to have asked for the suspension of postal voting in the 2005 election, because he thought that Labour was abusing it! Oona King, the Labour candidate, was apparently processing postal votes through the Laboutr Party office!

http://www.socialistreview.org.uk/article.php?articlenumber=9374

"George Galloway has written to the Electoral Commission and returning officers in Tower Hamlets, Newham and Birmingham calling for the suspension of postal voting in the general election."

It might be interesting to see George's views on electoral corruption http://www.socialistworker.co.uk/art.php?id=10810

"Like the minister, I am a former Labour Party official. I have been fighting elections for almost 40 years, almost always on the winning side. I know about elections. Now, for the first time in my political life, people ask me, "How do we know that they are counting these votes fairly? How do we know they are not rigging the election?" I am not saying that that is happening, but there is a systematic undermining of confidence in the electoral process, caused largely by postal vote fraud."
All very interesting. I guess he realises the danger and may even appreciate the irony of being exposed to Asian voting fraud.
George does surround himself with a 'posse' of heavies when he is out and about on the stump. I guess that sends a sort of subliminal message to the natives in Stratford (E. London)
 
#20
Well, up here, the despicable Joyce has a majority of over 8000 - nearly 30%, albeit up from a much more attackable 705 at the 2000 by-election. With the national decline of nu-Labour and tactical voting (as well as his expenses issues and the 'more significant locally than it might reasonably be considered' failure of his 2nd marriage), we might well see him out on the job market.

Put it this way - if I'm prepared to vote SNP to get him out ...
 

Similar threads

Top