Do You Live in a Marginal Seat?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wedge35, Mar 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Given the way our electoral system works, as usual the general election is likley to be won and lost in a relatively small number of marginal constituencies and if you are lucky enough to live in one, your vote will carry much more power than those of people who live in areas that are solidly controlled by one party or the other.

This is an interesting document that lists all seats in order of how marginal they are. Usefully, it also provides notional information to take into account the boundary changes that will come into effect before the election:

A more concise list of marginal seats can also be found here:

I live in Birmingham Edgbaston which not only tends to return MPs who belong to the winning Party, but is also a key battleground between the Tories and New Labour. As Gisela Stuart herself has said, if the Tories take Edgbaston, they take the election.
  2. So, who are you going to vote for? Or are you going to approach the various candidates and "hint" it could be worth their while to make a "contribution" to your personal charity :banned: :lol: :lol:
  3. Oh great, the future of the nation in the hands of Brummies...

On a serious note, can we really claim to be a democratic nation when this sort of situation exists? We may once have been at the forefront of representative government, but not any more. 18th Century methods rooted in 16th Century attitudes to governance.

We're long overdue radical change.
  4. I'm from Crawley where NuLabor have been in power for as long as I can remember, they only had a majority of 37 votes at the last election so hopefully this time they will be out on there arse

Not that the rest of them will be any better :x
  5. For what it's worth I'm confident that none of them could possibly do any worse, the current government are of a magnitude of crap that is almost impossible to quantify. I can safely say that we have for some time been living through the worst government in living memory and quite possibly in recorded history. The end cannot come soon enough.
  6. Personally, I would say those countries that have endured revolution in order to overthrow the government of the day would probably claim to have had it worse. Things are so bad in this country we get angry and spout off on an interweb forum. So I guess we are a LONG way back in those stakes.
  7. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Harlow, won by labour last time - majority of 97 over the Tories. UKIP votes - 2000. Lessons learnt by the Tories -0
  8. Well my vote is wasted. Whatever I do labour/limp dem still have a huge majority where I am as the work shy fcukers want to remain on their arrses and would probably text a vote in if they could.

I think I'll be spoiling mine!
  9. Bethnal Green & Bow

Galloway, G. majority-823

Ain't postal voting marvellous. From the 2005 election:

"Hackney tops the league table of increases, with the council having issued 37,285 postal votes for its two constituencies — up 4,000 per cent. The borough has seen demand soar as a result of its 2002 council elections being conducted exclusively by postal voting in a government pilot scheme.

Barnet is second highest with 32,501. The average number of postal votes per borough is 16,862.

The figures emerged a week after the Standard revealed how the election is open to vote-rigging. A number of postal ballots for constituencies across London were obtained by a reporter without any apparent checks for fraud.

Last year’s local elections in Birmingham led to the sacking of six Labour councillors for postal fraud. The elections commissioner said the system “would disgrace a banana republic”.

Hackney South and Shoreditch, a safe Labour seat, will have the highest
    umber of postal votes in the capital, with 19,456 issued.

Hackney North is second with 17,829. Third is the Lib-Dem marginal seat of Richmond Park.

Elsewhere, 6,600 postal votes have been issued in Bethnal Green and Bow, which is being contested by Oona King and George Galloway."
  10. Had an interesting chat with one of our local Tories recently. Asked him if our constituency was really a marginal as it had been Labour. His response was that the MP returned in our constituency would determine whether the next Chancellor is George Osborne (Tory win) or Nick Clegg (hung parliament).
  11. Postal voting is basically ballot rigging and under Labour,a growth industry.
  12. See the post on Islamic infiltration of the Labour Party - Galloway only got in because of the IFE

13. Bill Rammell has been (I think) the MP there since Noah bought the instructional book "Woods that Float".
  14. Tewkesbury, about as un-marginal as you could get. Been Conservative for eon’s, Lib’s get a look in every couple of hundred years, and Labour may as well not bother turning up.

The Green’s made inroads at one of the elections, but that was due to appointing a tidy bit of totty to run for MP.
  15. "See the post on Islamic infiltration of the Labour Party - Galloway only got in because of the IFE"

Exactly Odo, watch out for a huge increase again in the forthcoming election, especially in constituencies with similar demographics! Why do you think "nulabour" have had a COVERT policy of mass immigration since they got into power! :evil: