Do you like your child's partner?

Yes. I must be lucky. Father of two sons. Eldest married last year after living with his partner for the better part of 4 years. ComdHomeFront and I agree that she must be special, she has tidied up his act where we totally failed! Youngest is yet to separate himself from his computer.

I expect to get a bit of abuse for this thread but hey ho.
I want to hear what other Arrsers think about their kids choice of partner.
My eldest girl has been with her current partner for nearly a year now. She got with him about six months after she ended her relationship with her previous boyfriend.
Yesterday, they came around for dinner because I wanted my partner to finally meet him.
I've met the lad previously, the first time about three months after they got together, and again about two months ago. And each time there have been warning alarms going off in the pit of my stomach.
My daughter is besotted by him, and I will conceed that there is no doubt that he seems to feel the same way about her.
He is a good looking lad, reasonably intelligent, and seems to be very career focused. Perfect right?
However, there is something about him that I do not like. I just cannot put my finger on what it is.
After meeting him for the first time yesterday, my partner agrees with me that there is something about him that she just 'cannot place'.
My ex wife thinks that he's wonderful but my youngest daughter (like me) has very mixed feelings towards him.
I consider myself to be an excellent judge of character, my partner is too.
I want my daughter to be happy. And like I said; she genuinely seems to be.
But there is something about this fella that nags at the pit of my stomach.
I'd like to hear other arrsers stories about their experiences with their kids partners.
Gut instincts are rarely wrong I find. White van, black nasty, tarp and an entrenching tool. You know he must die.

I've already checked out his FB, Twitter, and Snapchat accounts. And there are no pictures of him holding up wads of notes, smoking weed, or even making 'gang signs' with his mates. It's all just family pictures, pictures of him playing football (that's reason enough I know), and pictures of various holiday locations.
My ex wife has met his mum and dad, and she said that they seem nice.
But like I said; if it was just me having a nagging doubt, then I'd put it down to my problem but for my youngest daughter and my current partner to say more or less the same thing makes me think that I'm right to trust my instincts.
Genuinely, I hope that I'm just being a twat about this.
When I met my wife of 38 years, I took her home to meet the parents. Dad was fine, the first words my Mam uttered were 'There are more fish in the sea'. We've always joked about it since.

He's not a bloody cat.
Its quite simple - you find someone with no connection to you or him - who has a similar sort of problem and you swap problems

You resolve his (by burying it somewhere in the Brecons) and he resolves yours in a similar manner.

Jobs a goodun with no paper/ money or alibi trail to trip you up.

On an absolutely unrelated issue - My ex is getting right up my nose and causing a great deal of distress to our daughter

Edit Schrodingers cat @Ho2331

Its quite simple - you find someone with no connection to you or him - who has a similar sort of problem and you swap problems

You resolve his (by burying it somewhere in the Brecons) and he resolves yours in a similar manner.

Jobs a goodun with no paper/ money or alibi trail to trip you up.

On an absolutely unrelated issue - My ex is getting right up my nose and causing a great deal of distress to our daughter

Edit Schrodingers cat @Ho2331
Schrödinger's cat - Wikipedia

Try being the father of 4 daughters, continually monitoring the plonkers that turned up at the family pile, 2 sorted, now with grandkids, and two with long time boyfriends, one sound, the other highly suspect, even though she is 31, she is still my daughter, and like any dad, I look out for her. My wife is more philosophical about it, says she is old enough to make her own decisions, and mistakes. If she was still a teen airhead, I would have F***** him of ages ago. At her age my wife and I had a young family.
Its a hard thing to accept. They're not kids anymore. If you have that gut feeling that things are not as they should be, you are probably correct, its hardwired into all loving parents......... Mess Webley?
I congratulate you on your post holacaust repopulation.

Fortunately, PartlyBollocks has yet to develop a deeply disappointing relationship with anyone apart from his ridiculously expensive PC and ridiculously expensive laptop. He does play volleyball for a semi-pro team and there are a few nice ladies on there, so if push comes to shove I'll have to teach him the niceties of how to use a hospital incinerator, biohazard bag, bow saw and bleach to thin the competition out.

Although if he's still in this situation in a couple of years time, I'll give you a shout @Ho2331 and maybe we can discuss the dowry over a pint?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
A few years ago, my daughter decided to let me know that she was pregnant by her bloke who I'd never met. So, she brings him up to London to meet me for the first time and he seems a likeable enough lad but there was a nagging doubt in my mind about him (he just seemed to be too nice and friendly). Go forward around 3 years, grandson is now 2 yo and they decide to get engaged, big party organised and all's well. 3 months down the line, daughter rings up to inform me that her and him have split. It seems that he'd gone to all of the trouble of organising the engagement party, the DJ for the wedding, the venue for the wedding and reception and then admits that he doesn't love her and never has and wants to end the relationship. Tells her that she can stay as long as she likes until she gets her self sorted, within a week, she had somewhere new to live, offers of spare bits of furniture, got herself a job (something he wouldn't let her do when they were together as he was the man about the house and earned the money) and is as happy as Larry (I found out after that all of the time that they were together, she was being treated for depression, has now stopped taking the pills). One thing that riled me was that her maternal grandad (who's minted) gave her a car, matey decided that as she didn't drive he'd keep it until she could as his car had been involved in an accident and he couldn't afford to repair it, (his fault apparently), she ups and takes driving lessons, passes first time and requests the car back straightaway as it's hers, he states that he needs it for his business and she'll have to take him to court to prove it's hers. She had the spare key and went round the house and just took it back one night when he was sleeping, got it insured the same night online and he hasn't said a word.

Fortunately, PartlyBollocks has yet to develop a deeply disappointing relationship with anyone apart from his ridiculously expensive PC and ridiculously expensive laptop. He does play volleyball for a semi-pro team and there are a few nice ladies on there, so if push comes to shove I'll have to teach him the niceties of how to use a hospital incinerator, biohazard bag, bow saw and bleach to thin the competition out.

Although if he's still in this situation in a couple of years time, I'll give you a shout @Ho2331 and maybe we can discuss the dowry over a pint?
First round on me sir.