Do you like your child's partner?

I expect to get a bit of abuse for this thread but hey ho.
I want to hear what other Arrsers think about their kids choice of partner.
My eldest girl has been with her current partner for nearly a year now. She got with him about six months after she ended her relationship with her previous boyfriend.
Yesterday, they came around for dinner because I wanted my partner to finally meet him.
I've met the lad previously, the first time about three months after they got together, and again about two months ago. And each time there have been warning alarms going off in the pit of my stomach.
My daughter is besotted by him, and I will conceed that there is no doubt that he seems to feel the same way about her.
He is a good looking lad, reasonably intelligent, and seems to be very career focused. Perfect right?
However, there is something about him that I do not like. I just cannot put my finger on what it is.
After meeting him for the first time yesterday, my partner agrees with me that there is something about him that she just 'cannot place'.
My ex wife thinks that he's wonderful but my youngest daughter (like me) has very mixed feelings towards him.
I consider myself to be an excellent judge of character, my partner is too.
I want my daughter to be happy. And like I said; she genuinely seems to be.
But there is something about this fella that nags at the pit of my stomach.
I'd like to hear other arrsers stories about their experiences with their kids partners.

She's OK. I wouldn't shag her myself but she is the mother of one of my grandchildren so she gets a few bonus points.

Google him and look him up on facebook , you can usually see if he is a chavvy wideboy then .

And if he seems super up himself he is probably shoving coke up his nose - virtually everyone does it nowadays believing they are gods gift / scarface .

However, there is something about him that I do not like. I just cannot put my finger on what it is.
After meeting him for the first time yesterday, my partner agrees with me that there is something about him that she just 'cannot place'.
Blinking hell man - INTELL - RECCE!
Know your Enemy!

Don't merely check him out - fecking investigate him! Poke and pry about online and offline, get others involved and maybe even a Private Investigator, but act on these instincts.

Better than kicking yourself at some time in the future when there's a child involved and suspect in-laws to boot!

Hes Banging your daughter

Isnt that reason enough to dislike him?

Try being the father of 4 daughters, continually monitoring the plonkers that turned up at the family pile, 2 sorted, now with grandkids, and two with long time boyfriends, one sound, the other highly suspect, even though she is 31, she is still my daughter, and like any dad, I look out for her. My wife is more philosophical about it, says she is old enough to make her own decisions, and mistakes. If she was still a teen airhead, I would have F***** him of ages ago. At her age my wife and I had a young family.
Its a hard thing to accept. They're not kids anymore. If you have that gut feeling that things are not as they should be, you are probably correct, its hardwired into all loving parents......... Mess Webley?

My MiL hated my guts with a passion and tried to sabotage my relationship with her daughter in very elaborate ways.
I've been married to the love of my life for 38 years....MiL is dead.......I think I won.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Like all fathers of daughters I viewed my girl's choice with very biased eyes. He was a good looking, hard working and very sensible lad - but that mattered not one jot with me. My wife thought he was a lovely lad but I just knew there was something about him!

Well just to prove that my choices were up to their usual standard I have been proven absolutely wrong. They have been married now for 24 years and are as strong a couple as when they started! Just as well nobody in the family pays the slightest attention to what I say :(

Last edited:
I expect to get a bit of abuse for this thread but hey ho.
I want to hear what other Arrsers think about their kids choice of partner.
My eldest girl has been with her current partner for nearly a year now. She got with him about six months after she ended her relationship with her previous boyfriend.
Yesterday, they came around for dinner because I wanted my partner to finally meet him.
I've met the lad previously, the first time about three months after they got together, and again about two months ago. And each time there have been warning alarms going off in the pit of my stomach.
My daughter is besotted by him, and I will conceed that there is no doubt that he seems to feel the same way about her.
He is a good looking lad, reasonably intelligent, and seems to be very career focused. Perfect right?
My ex wife thinks that he's wonderful but my youngest daughter (like me) has very mixed feelings towards him.
I consider myself to be an excellent judge of character, my partner is too.
I want my daughter to be happy. And like I said; she genuinely seems to be.
But there is something about this fella that nags at the pit of my stomach.
I'd like to hear other arrsers stories about their experiences with their kids partners.
What part of London does he come from, that should be a good indicator?

I haven't got any kids yet but my girlfriend's old man keeps pestering me. He's ex army, balding and has a beer belly. I've been with his daughter about six months now after she split with her ex, she's a right goer though and loves it up the gary so I'm smashing it.

I met her old man and his missus for dinner yesterday and whilst I tried to make poilite conversation they just grunted short replies and kept staring at me the whole time, a right bunch or weirdos. I think they might have a touch of the window licker.

Google him and look him up on facebook , you can usually see if he is a chavvy wideboy then .

And if he seems super up himself he is probably shoving coke up his nose - virtually everyone does it nowadays believing they are gods gift / scarface .
I've already checked out his FB, Twitter, and Snapchat accounts. And there are no pictures of him holding up wads of notes, smoking weed, or even making 'gang signs' with his mates. It's all just family pictures, pictures of him playing football (that's reason enough I know), and pictures of various holiday locations.
My ex wife has met his mum and dad, and she said that they seem nice.
But like I said; if it was just me having a nagging doubt, then I'd put it down to my problem but for my youngest daughter and my current partner to say more or less the same thing makes me think that I'm right to trust my instincts.
Genuinely, I hope that I'm just being a twat about this.

I haven't got any kids yet but my girlfriend's old man keeps pestering me. He's ex army, balding and has a beer belly. I've been with his daughter about six months now after she split with her ex, she's a right goer though and loves it up the gary so I'm smashing it.

I met her old man and his missus for dinner yesterday and whilst I tried to make poilite conversation they just grunted short replies and kept staring at me the whole time, a right bunch or weirdos. I think they might have a touch of the window licker.
Run....

Sounds terrible to me mate.:)

By admitting the sordid details of your sex life, on an open forum, you have by your own admission negated any respect from any future FiL. They have every reason to dislike you, any father would.
Whoosh.

That's the sound of my reply going over your head. Check the forum - NAAFI, now reread the OP and check the details of my post.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ulster_Rifleman Miscellaneous Jokes 0
Ulster_Rifleman Miscellaneous Jokes 0
T Miscellaneous Jokes 0